3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 8:12 AM by Todd_Kopriva

AME CC and AE CC render speed

MMD Production Level 1

Hi folks, i´ve big problems with rendering stuff in Adobe CC. Projects build up completly in AE CC won´t render well in AME CC but in AE CC itself? I tested a scene (ray-traced 3D) with different codecs (avi uncompressed f.e.) in both programs. AE CC needed 2:30 min (at 20% CPU Usage), and in AME CC i stopped the rendering after 10 min with 100% CPU Usage without finishing a quarter of the scene? Frames are previewed in AE CC in >1 second (full quality).

Another problem: a template build for AE CS3, edited in AE CS6 needs about 1h to be rendered in FullHD (tif-sequence), with rendertimes of max 30sek/frame. The same project edited in AE CC needs up to 1:44min/frame? Maybe its a problem with the CC Light burst plugin (Intensity 150, Ray length 180), but my experiences with other projects (and filters) show me, that there is a general problem with the render engine.

My system:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel i7 3950 (6/12 Cores)

Geforce 580

32GB RAM

2 SSD (one System and programs and one only for caching) á 256GB

1 HDD 1TB

• 1. Re: AME CC and AE CC render speed
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like you have some memory allocation issues in the preferences. With 32 GB you should be leaving a bunch, about a third, available for other apps. You may also be using the disk cache in your renders with the AE Render Cue. The information on your workflow is a bit sketchy. I don't know enough details about what you are trying to do to give you an answer.

As far as the difference in render times between CS6 and CC, this depends on several things including the plug-ins you are using and the type of rendering. Generally I find that I have as good or better render times with CC than I have with CS6 but I'm mostly working on a Mac.

• 2. Re: AME CC and AE CC render speed
            MMD Production Level 1

I have the problem, that i can´t render a very tiny project in AME CC (adobe media converter) while the rendering in AE CC with the cue works.

My Project contains one comp (ray traced 3D) with 4 layers of which one is a light, one is a camera, and two are 3D Layers of animated graphic elements (the first contains three animated .ai-Layers and the second 3 pictures and an animated extruded Form).

I can see rendered frames in the project in AE CC in under one second but when i try to render it in the media encoder (AME CC), the rendering process is extremly slow. If Adobe would offer the h.264 (mp4) codec in AE CC, i would have no problem, but since its only available in AME, i need to render it with the AME.

My Memory Allocation in AE CC is: 21GB used for AE, MP on with 8 Cores (and 2GB for every Core), disk cache is activated with 12GB on a SSD only used for caching, which contains also the media database and the media cache.

When i try to render the project with AME, the pc uses every core, despite than using 8, causing 100% cpu usage on all 12 cores (although 2 cores are reserved for other programs).

Rendertime AE CC (Quicktime, FullHD, h.264, 5mbit): 3:16min

Rendertime AME CC (Quicktime, FullHD, h.264, 5mbit): stopped after 6 Minutes with 1/4 of the clip rendered, AME CC hangs causing 100% CPU usage

Another project, which is rendering fine in AE CS6 (the second mentioned in the start post), renders super slow in AE CC (30sec (CS6) compared to 1:44min (CC) max per frame), so that i have to come to the conclusion, that there some issues with the AME CC Rendering Engine.

I´am in motion graphics and video cutting for 15 years now, but had never such problems with rendering my projects.

• 3. Re: AME CC and AE CC render speed
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you are rendering and exporting a composition that uses the ray-traced 3D renderer, then you should render and export a master (losslessly encoded) file from After Effects and then use AME to transcode that to your delivery formats.

When you render and export a composition through Adobe Media Encoder, the GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer is not available, so the CPU renderer is used.

Also, when you render and export a composition through Adobe Media Encoder, the Rendere Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature is not available.