8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 12:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!

shannonlyn325

Last night I finally finished my 20 minute video that I'm presenting this afternoon. My computer doesn't have a lot of memory left and wouldn't let me save my video to my computer. So late last night I deleted a couple programs (can't remember all but - QuickTime, adobe reader, and i think I may have deleted something that don't seem important from adobe premier elements 10)..... Now my music ad videos downloaded from email do my work and when I try to import that media it will not allow me to do so...... Please if you have any idea how to remedy this.... It's devastating me considering I have to present this afternoon. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

" my music ad videos downloaded from email"

Can you be more specific? What format and resolution is this video? How large is it? Did you create this video in Premiere Elements and, if so, which Publish & Share option did you use?

I'm also concerned about your computer. If it can't hold a 20 minute video, you may be so pressed for hard drive space that it may have trouble functioning properly anyway. (Windows computers need a good 20 gigs minimum free space for stable function.)

It's also possible that, in removing programs like Quicktime, you may have removed an important component that your system needs to play back your movie!

But we'll know that for sure once you give us more information on the video file itself.

• 2. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's questions and comments (QuickTime is important for PrE, as mentioned), I have two more, and they might just be a variation of Steve's questions:

You say that you received Audio & Video via e-mail. Exactly what is the format of the Audio & Video file(s) that you received? Is this one AV file, with both Audio & Video in it, or two separate files, one Audio-only and one Video-only?

Then, when you say:

Now my music ad videos downloaded from email do my work and when I try to import that media it will not allow me to do so.

What happens when you try to Add Media>Files & Folders, and navigate to those e-mailed files? Do you get an error about CODEC's, or something else? Please be as specific, as is possible, so that we can help you. Also, this question ties back directly to the first one - the format, and info on what you received via e-mail.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
              shannonlyn325 Level 1

Thank you so much for your response. My video is currently still in editing format.... When I attempted to save it to my computer my hard drive didn't have enough memory which is when this catastrophe started ha. I am getting. New computer soon! The videos that i imported from a memory card work just fine as does their audio. The music files and the video that I took on my phone and then emailed to myself and saved on my computer does not function in the video anymore, however they work fine on my computer independently. When I attempt to get media and I click on the file to restore the music and video that isn't functioning I get a message from adobe premiere elements saying "IMG_1385.MOV.  Error message the importer reported a generic error"..... I hope that is somewhat clear.... Thank you again you guys are amazing.

• 4. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
                shannonlyn325 Level 1

Thank you so much for your response. My video is currently still in editing format.... When I attempted to save it to my computer my hard drive didn't have enough memory which is when this catastrophe started ha. I am getting. New computer soon! The videos that i imported from a memory card work just fine as does their audio. The music files and the video that I took on my phone and then emailed to myself and saved on my computer does not function in the video anymore, however they work fine on my computer independently. When I attempt to get media and I click on the file to restore the music and video that isn't functioning I get a message from adobe premiere elements saying "IMG_1385.MOV.  Error message the importer reported a generic error"..... I hope that is somewhat clear.... Thank you again you guys are amazing.

• 5. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But how did the music files appear on your phone!!?? They must have come from somewhere (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) Your answer is VERY important.

In fact, we need answers to ALL of our questions if you want us to help you and recommend solutions.

• 6. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
                    shannonlyn325 Level 1

Guys it's fixed!!!!! I was at work and I just got home and downloaded QuickTime!!!!! And it works. I so beyond appreciate your time and your knowledge. I am a lacrosse coach and this video is for my team tonight so you just made me so happy. Thanks guys!!!!!

• 7. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>video that I took on my phone... "IMG_1385.MOV.  Error message

OK... you recorded video with your phone... and now the MOV files give you an error message

You also said that you removed Quicktime... you MUST have Quicktime installed for Premiere Elements to work properly

Also, exactly what brand/model phone did you use for recording?

As has been said, not having space for working files is a SERIOUS problem when editing video

Do not un-install software if you don't know what you are doing

Move (copy and delete) data files to an external USB hard drive until you have enough space for video editing

• 8. Re: Can't use music or videos downloaded from email.... Please help I'm going crazy!!!!!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Yes, QuickTime, while used for other things, is required (along with its CODEC's), to handle MOV, and some other formats. By removing that, you also removed the components, and CODEC's, that are required. By reinstalling it, you installed those components and CODEC's.

Though I seldom use Apple's QT Player, I have it on all of my computers, as I do receive a lot of files, that require it to function properly.

Hope that you made your deadline, and good luck with that new computer.

Happy editing,

Hunt