11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 3:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10

Veni1968

Hi, I am trying to 'Share' my project to a DVD folder on my hard drive (I have 541Gb free). I'm using the AVCHD option and burning to an 8.5Gb folder. I have the "Fit contents to available space" ticked - it shows 8.02Gb for the project.

I am getting the message in Status: Space required is more than the disc capacity"

Clearly it isn't as it states 8.02 Gb required and the destination drive has 541Gb free.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have trawled the internet to no avail.

I also get this message if I try to set a DVD+R-DL as the target disc (8.5Gb).

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Veni1968

You are not taking into considerating that the labeling on these discs does not reflect the "in reality" space.

The DVD double layer single sided disc labeled 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.9 GB. And the DVD-R labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB.

If you have "Fit contents to available space" with check mark, the program is trying to do just that by lowering the Bitrate from its max. of 8.00 Mbps to a lower value. But keep in mind, the lower the Bitrate value, the lower the quality. The burn to disc DVD uses a variable bitrate for its video.

Out of curiosity, I ask, what is the Space Required and Bitrate in the Quality Area of the burn to DVD burn dialog with and without "Fit contents to available space" to the rescue?

Do you have equipment for Blu-ray?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...What is your computer operating system? If it is not Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, then your Premiere Elements 10 is running as a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system if you have a 64 bit system (with all the resource limitations of 32 bit system OR as a 32 bit application in a 32 bit system.

• 2. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
            Veni1968 Level 1

Hi ATR.

I was initially trying to save to a DVD folder on my HDD but I still recieved the same error message.

If I 'untick' the "Fit contents to available space" the file size is 20.18Gb & 15.59Mbps bitrate.

I have a Blu-Ray drive but I'm looking to distribute this DVD to a few friends who do not have Blu-Ray. Everything works fine sharing to a 25Gb Blu-Ray even though I still have to fit to space on that.

I have Windows 7 64 bit.

Veni1968

• 3. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Veni1968

The issue goes to the "in reality" capacity on those DVD discs involved.

In addition, in the case of the burn to Blu-ray (no burn to folder choice), be careful about the use of the "Fit Content to Available Space" lest you get 99% of the burn to progress bar and end up in error. I have written about that in depth in one of my blog posts.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-blu-ray-burn-dialog-fit-content-to.html

Just to clarify

You wrote

I was initially trying to save to a DVD folder on my HDD but I still recieved the same error message.

If I 'untick' the "Fit contents to available space" the file size is 20.18Gb & 15.59Mbps bitrate.

From what I read of that, you were trying to generate and save a Folder containing the BDMV Folder of the burn to AVCHD format, The major hang up with distributing the AVCHD on DVD disc is that you need a Blu-ray player for the playback and many Blu-ray players do not support AVCHD on DVD disc.

Please review and then we can discuss this further if you want to.

Thanks.

ATR.

• 4. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                Veni1968 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Ok, thanks for that.

The odd thing is I can use the "fit to available space" with the same project on the normal "DVD" setting and it works just fine.

If I'm honest, the reason for trying other options was the DVD was rather pixelated on this setting so I thought I would try AVCHD on a DVD.

I have had DVD-DL's come out just fine previously, but this time they're ending up somwwhat pixelated.

As I said earlier, the fit to available space on a 25Gb Blu-ray works just fine with a very good result even on a 47" tv.

I shall keep trying different settings until I find one that works.

Many thanks

Veni1968

• 5. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Veni1968

Thanks for the follow up.

I just got finished getting some numbers for the disc capacity situation for Premiere Elements 11 burn to folder (8.5 Gb/240 minutes) for Publish+Share/Disc/AVDHD.

The disc capacity situation remains the same for the various scenarios of burn to disc, burn to folder.

But, whereas DVD burn to disc or folder works from a Bitrate of max 8.00 Mbps (megabits per second), the AVCHD burn to folder works from a Bitrate of max. 15.74 Mbps when Fit Content to Available Space is selected and a Bitrate of max. 15.59 Mbps when Fit to Content to Available Space is not selected.

The common element in this matter is the "in reality" disc space of 7.95 GB versus the labelled 8.5 GB. As you add more and more content to the Timeine and get beyond the exact point of Space Required 7.95 GB for that DVD Double Layer Single Sided disc, you end up with

a. If Fit Content to Available Space has no check mark...failure to continue with message "Space Required more than the disc capacity"

whereas

b. If Fit Content to Available Space has a check mark...you are allowed to continue. The Space Required remains 7.95 GB, but the Bitrate is progressively lowered from 15.74 Mbps as more and more content is added to the Timeline. The lower the Bitrate the lower the quality is how is goes.

ATR

• 6. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                    Veni1968 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I am getting "Space required more than disc capacity" regardless of whether I have the fit to disc ticked or not and I cannot click on next, which I think is rather odd!

Veni1968

• 7. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Remember that Fit Contents to Discs alters the Bit-Rate of the Transcode, reducing quality.

While I cannot recall the Minimum Bit-Rate possible for PrE, there is one, and discs, or folders will not be burned, if the required Bit-Rate, to fit the contents, goes below that minimum. Maybe others have the exact Bit-Rate limit. It was 2.5b/sec. in Encore, though could differ in PrE, though they use many of the same Sonic AuthorCore elements.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>try AVCHD on a DVD.

That only allows "about' twenty minutes of video AND requires a BluRay player for playback

AVCHD to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/862611

Elements and AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947846

• 9. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                          Veni1968 Level 1

Thanks Bill & John.

Bill, that makes a lot of sense on the Minimum Bitrate. A shame the warning message isn't that specific...if that's the reason.

John, yes the AVCHD was the route I was going until I found out from ATR that a Blu-Ray player is needed to play the AVCHD disc.

Thanks both anyway.

Onward & upwards!

• 10. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The error message in Adobe Encore (different program, but with some very common elements) is to the effect: "Necessary Bit-Rate will be below the minimum of 2.5."

As the two programs DO have some different modules, that message might not be in PrE, or the Minimum Bit-Rate is not the issue in your case?

Just adding some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Sharing to a folder in Premier Elements 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Veni1968

You wrote

I am getting "Space required more than disc capacity" regardless of whether I have the fit to disc ticked or not and I cannot click on next, which I think is rather odd!

That is not unusual if you consider that the in reality space on the 8.5 GB/240 minutes Double Layer Single Sided DVD disc is 7.95 GB.

You said earlier than you have about 20.18 GB Space Required with bitrate 15.59 Mbps with Fit Content to Available Space with no check mark. If you look at the counterpart reading for with the check mark next to that option, I believe that you will see something like 7.95 GB with a bitrate of around 6.20 Mbps. My take on that would be that the program has lowered the bitrate as low as possible to cover every bit of the 7.95 GB actual capacity of the disc and can go no further. Consequently, you are getting that "Space required more than disc capacity"  since you have run out of disc capacity 7.95 GB). What do you think?

Trivia..when you are doing DVD burn to (no check mark next to the "Fit Content.....", a  Quality slider exists which gives a minimum and maximium value for the bitrate...1.69 Mbps - 8.00 Mbps. Interestingly, the 1.69 Mbps is classed as "for Most Videos". I find that curious since I do not know of most that would go there.

Thanks for such an interesting question.

ATR