7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 4:28 PM by Netcommercial

Creating an animate to represent odor

Netcommercial Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for looking in. I need to create an animation that would reflect scent / odor.  Any suggestions on the effect to use / add to a solid to create it? Perhaps something whispy? I tried CCParticle Systems II

as well as Particle Playground. I end up with what looks like flies and not like strands of odor. (IF you get my drift)

Thanks for any suggy's and parameters I may want to Exp with.

Regards

NC  Oh Cs6 Btw

• 1. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd start by getting a little inspiration from some old Warner Brothers cartoons.  Remember Pepe Le Pew, the romantic French skunk?

• 2. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Fractal Noise bent into shape with Bezier Warp.... Works wonders...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor
              Netcommercial Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, I was looking for an effect suggestion not to go watch cartoons. Geez. I downloaded the manual on that effect! It will take a few days to get my head around that and Bezier Warp. Very powerfull tools, I am sure. Manual on the first one. http://aescripts.com/data/CROSSPHERE/FractalNoise3D%20Manual.pdf

Maybe you got a small cheat you can share with me? A bit of a headstart? Thanks for the direction

NC

• 4. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor

Not sure what you are looking for. simply animate the X offsett in Fractal Noise, make its scale non-uniform to stretch it out along the X axis and then apply Bezier Warp (or any other distortion effect for that matter) and shape it to your liking. Use belnding modes or apply a Shift Channels effect set to Lightness to create transparency, use Tint/ Tritone/ Colorama to control coloring. Use multiple layers with different random seeds for dense smoe. also animate ther noise's evolution for a slight billowing effect....

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor
                  Netcommercial Level 1

Thanks for the headstart on that. I was looking for a slow rising effect as you would see a hot cup of coffee on a cold day. Or as I stated an odor. OR like Dave is doing watching cartoons. (Pepe' le Pue" to be exact) 

While I have  your attention.... To place that effect, do I just place it on a Solid? I ask becuase I used a white Solid to start playing with it and the Solid covers my layers below. When selecting the Round Ying-Yang Icon for adjustent, layer becomes transparent yet I do not see the effect any more?

• 6. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor

Use a solid and belnding modes like Add, Multiply or whatever. Don't make it an adjustment layer. If you need genuine transparency, create it using the Shift Channels effect as I advised by stacking it after the noise.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Creating an animate to represent odor
                      Netcommercial Level 1

Mylenium,

I was playing around with that project and attempted to use your instructions. Is there a way to make that Fractal noise a different Color?

Right now I put it on a white solid and used a Stencil Lumina Blend  The effect is great for smoke. Except how do I conrol the width? 

When I scale Width it scales the effect itself. I do not want to shrink my Solid to accomidate as that will leave me with sharp edges where the effect stops?  Think- (scent coming off something in the video that needs to be whispy, but not across the whole screen). Prefer a scent over an odor, although I did write odor, I am trying to animate a flower scent. Fresh, and clean.