So I've been looking into a potential memory leak in an AIR
application. I've started to use the Profiler in Flex Builder 3
Beta 2, namely the Memory Usage graph. Before this I used to use
System.totalMemory for my memory usage profiling.
Since Flex Builder 3 is still beta software I decided to
compare the results of the Memory Usage graph against the numbers
read in from System.totalMemory. I noticed some discrepancies
between the two. First off, here are a couple of qualifiers:
1. I'm profiling one AIR application in the adl using the
2. No other AIR applications are running when the profiling
Below are some of the numbers I'm getting. On the left is the
output from System.totalMemory and on the right is the number
displayed in the Flex Profiler Memory Usage graph during the same
From the looks of it, I would presume that around 9.5MB of
System.totalMemory is Adobe Integrated Runtime overhead.
However, since this little tidbit of information on how the
number displayed in the Memory Usage graph differs from
System.totalMemory is not documented anywhere that I have found I
need to verify that this is actually how I should interpret the
numbers so that I can debug efficiently.