7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 4:37 AM by Stan Jones RSS

Can't select DVD for anything in Encore

Eric T Arroyo Community Member

I'm trying to burn a DVD in Encore CS5. I already made the menus. chapters, etc. All I need to do now is burn it. I used Dynamic Link to link the Premiiere Pro CS5.5 Project to Encore CS5. The project is a 1080i project, but I've burned standard def DVDs from 1080i projects multiple times before.

I just transcoded the project to a format that ended up being too big and when I selected Transcode Settings I no longer had an option to select DVD anymore, Is this a one-shot deal? I clicked "Revert to Original" but that didn't change anything. I just can't click that anymore either now. All I want to do is burn a DVD with a menu. Please Help!!

• 1. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Post a screenshot. You should be able to revert and re-transcode. Make sure you are selecting the ASSET (the PR sequence) and not the TIMELINE. Transcode settings and revert apply to the asset, not the timeline.

I don't think it is relevant to your immediate issue, but PR CS5.5 should only dynamic link to Encore 5.1 (the 5.5 version of encore). Not to Encore 5.0.

• 2. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore

Thanks for the quick reply. I ended up reverting back to an old version of the project then redoing the last few steps to get the project finished. I found that if I exported a disc image, then used the image to burn the disc it works, but if I try to burn the disc directly Encore has a heart attack somewhere between finishing the transcode and starting the burn. I still have the same issue with the "one-shot" transcoding though.

Stan Jones wrote:

Post a screenshot. You should be able to revert and re-transcode. Make sure you are selecting the ASSET (the PR sequence) and not the TIMELINE. Transcode settings and revert apply to the asset, not the timeline.

Encore issue.JPG

This screenshot is after I clicked "revert to original." When I click "Transcode Settings" the window pops up with the DVD option grayed out. The other interesting thing I noticed was that the DVD Transcode... column shows that it is still transcoded even though I already clicked the "rever to original" button. On top of that, the "revert to original" button is also grayed out now so I can't click it again to force the DVD Transcode column to show that it is not transcoded anymore. Even deleting the transcode files didn't do anything except make Encore throw another fit. Quite an odd issue, but this is far from the first issue I've had with Encore.

EDIT: I also made sure that I selected the asset this time and not the timeline.

Stan Jones wrote:

I don't think it is relevant to your immediate issue, but PR CS5.5 should only dynamic link to Encore 5.1 (the 5.5 version of encore). Not to Encore 5.0.

Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't know that... I just checked it and it is 5.1.0.342 though so I guess that's not the issue.

Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore
              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Glad you found a way to get the revised project completed.

And for the confirmation that you were dynamically linking PR CS5.5 with EN CS5.1.

If you have a project set to Bluray (in the project settings; not the build panel), and revert, it reverts the bluray transcode, but not the DVD. Is the project set to bluray by any chance? I see the transcode choice greyed out for DVD if it is still transcoded after the Bluray reverts.

• 4. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore

Bingo! The project was set to blu-ray in the project settings. I'll have to open the project up again tonight and see if changing that opens up the DVD transcode options again. I'll post again once I know of that works for me. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Let us know. Since you've had success with this workflow before, and you just need to revise bitrate, I'm optimistic this will do the trick!

• 6. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore

Sorry for the long delay. I went on vacation and finally got back around to this. Looks like that was the issue. I changed the project to DVD and then the "revert to original" option opened back up again. I clicked it again then I was able to go into the transcode settings and modify the DVD settings. Thanks for the help!

• 7. Re: Can't select DVD for anything in Encore
                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

You're welcome!