8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 2:01 PM by danzg

Rendering dynamically linked AE comp

danzg Level 1

If I insert a render-intensive comp dynamically in Premiere, what's the best way to get it to playback in realtime?

If I render it in Premiere, it seems to take much longer than if I render it in AE.

If I render a RAM preview in AE, will that carry over to Premiere?

I'd like to keep it dynamic.

• 1. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

The best way to get complex dynamically linked AE composition playback in real time in PrPro is to render a digital intermediate out of After Effects and replace your dynamically linked comp in PrPro timeline with that DI. If you keep the Include Project Link checkbox in the AE Output Module Settings dialog enabled, you can easily get back to your composition and make changes - just select the DI in either PrPro timeline or the Project panel, right-click and choose Edit Original. However, you definitely lose dynamic update this way. Therefore, this option is for the time when you're more or less done with your magic in After Effects.

Another option, which may keep you more dynamic, is setting a rendered intermediate as a proxy for your dynamically linked composition. This way you can enjoy the best of both worlds to some extent: you don't have to replace anything in PrPro timeline, while switching between rendered DI and editable composition is just one click in AE. Another advantage is you don't have to render an intermediate out of AE directly, you can send your comp to AME and render on a background while keep working in AE on another part of your project (keep in mind, you lose the ability to include project link into DIs metadata, hence the ability to right-click and choose Edit Original in PrPro project, when rendering out of AME).

Since PrPro communicates with dynamically linked AE compositions via a single instance of headless AE, which in turn creates a bottleneck, playback with DIs set as proxies for dynamically linked comps is slower compared to when dynamically linked comps are replaced with DIs in PrPro timeline.

Another thing, which is worth being aware of, is you should keep the amount of dynamically linked comps reasonable. With hundreds of dynamically linked comps PrPro project becomes almost unresponsive and takes forever to render (for my rig test 30 min sequence built out of 935 dynamically linked comps, which are just source footages in their own comps, hence, the equivalent to rendered DIs set to proxies, takes around 27 hours to render, while 30 min sequence built out of the same 935 source footages renders in real time).

And finally, no, rendered RAM preview is not utilised by PrPro.

• 2. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
            danzg Level 1

Thank you for that excellent explanation.

Sounds like proxies are the way to go. Just tried it, and seems to work great.

Another advantage is you don't have to render an intermediate out of AE directly, you can send your comp to AME and render on a background while keep working in AE on another part of your project (keep in mind, you lose the ability to include project link into DIs metadata, hence the ability to right-click and choose Edit Original in PrPro project, when rendering out of AME).

Are you referring to AE > File > Export > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue? Never used that, is that new? Does that fully render a comp in the background? Can't you then use that output as the proxy for the comp? I don't quite understand what you mean about losing the Edit Original option.

I've always used an amazing script called BG Renderer Pro  which allows you to render in the background while you continue to work.

• 3. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

'Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue' is a new AE CC feature. It used to be File -> Add After Effects Composition... in AME (or '+' and then locate your AE project file, or drag it and drop into AME).

Since it exploits AME, it does render in the background. You can use this DI as a proxy for your dynamically linked comp, you can't utilise the Edit Original feature once you bring that DI in PrPro, 'cos AME doesn't currently allow embedding project link into an exported file metadata.

So as to understand what this feature does, just render any test composition out of AE with the Include Project Link checkbox enabled, import rendered file into a PrPro project, then select it in either timeline or the Project panel, right-click and choose Edit Original option from context menu - you'll be brought right into appropriate AE project (you can even quit AE prior to your manipulations in PrPro).

Now render a test composition from AME. Right on an attempt you won't be able to find the Include Project Link checkbox anywhere in AME. And if you bring rendered file in PrPro afterwards, you subsequently won't be able to utilise Edit Original feature.

P.S. Yep, BG Renderer is a nice script!

• 4. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
                danzg Level 1

So isn't it essentially the same if I render in BG with AME, then set that render as a proxy in Ae, rather than import the render into Pr?

Seems like the same thing as using BG Renderer then setting a proxy ...

• 5. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

No, if you set a DI as a proxy, Dynamic Link is still involved, hence communication via a single instance of headless AE still creates a bottleneck - see my very first comment, especially the note about test 30 min sequence.

• 6. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
                    danzg Level 1

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

The best way to get complex dynamically linked AE composition playback in real time in PrPro is to render a digital intermediate out of After Effects and replace your dynamically linked comp in PrPro timeline with that DI.

What is the best way to "replace your dynamically linked comp" with the DI, assuming you have chopped it up into many different bits in the timeline? Or when you've used portions of it here and there?

• 7. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Select dynamically linked comp in the timeline, hold down Alt/Opt and drag and drop the DI from the Project panel. If Alt/Opt doesn't work, try Alt/Opt+Shift.

• 8. Re: Rendering dynamically linked AE comp
                        danzg Level 1

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

Select dynamically linked comp in the timeline, hold down Alt/Opt and drag and drop the DI from the Project panel. If Alt/Opt doesn't work, try Alt/Opt+Shift.

That is a great time saver!

Too bad you can only use it for one clip at a time...