15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 6:07 AM by rfmeredith

Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?

rbcheek Level 1

I've recently created a multi-camera sequence with three camera angles.  I've gone through and fine-tuned all of the camera switches and now I'd like to go through it and structure it into subclips - some of which I'll use and others I'll delete.  But, when I load the multi-camera sequence and set a clip in the Source Monitor, I can't set it as a subclip because the Make Subclip and Edit Subclip options on the drop down menu are not active.

Is the problem that it's a multi-camera sequence?  If so, how do I save it as a regular sequence, or transform it so that I can edit the main sequence.  BTW - the multi-camera source sequence is nearly 90 minutes long.  I need to cut major portions of it out altogether and then catalogue the subclips.  I'm obviously new to Premiere Pro, so don't assume I understand anything, including what I've written here.

• 1. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
          elfilms Level 1

Seriously? No one has answered this question? It is the same problem I am having in Adobe CC Premiere Pro in May 2014. This is absolutely essential for documentary makers. Since I have only recently bought the product, I am really not sure if this is the tool for me. All docos need pre-syncing with clear audio, creating a "multi-cam sequence" - which I then cannot subclip. I understand there are some clunky work-arounds. But Adobe, this is not acceptable - not for any serious editing work.

Hope I have got this wrong. Really hope so.

• 2. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I don't have the answer to your question, but I have a workaround.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to create a subclip off of a multicam sequence. I don't know why that is, but if you create a Nest from your clip, that can be named and is automatically put into the Project Panel with that name.

There are differences between a sequence and a subclip, but if those differences don't matter (and they never have to me) then you have a workflow that might work for you. If you keep the nests that you create in a separate bin in order to be able to easily tell them apart from regular sequences, or perhaps prepend the name with "SC" then it will be easier to keep track of what you are doing.

Maybe someone else has a different way to deal with this?

• 3. Re: Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
              elfilms Level 1

Thanks for your response, Steven.

Are you saying that rather than create sequences, I should create these Nests?

I'm not sure that will work for me. I have stacks of clips (video & audio) which I synchronised with pluraleyes. Not feasible to hand-sync because of uncontrolled recording circumstances (field documentary).

Pluraleyes exports sequences in xml format which are nicely picked up by Premiere Pro, after which they are totally useless as I can no longer manipulate them into sub clips.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for trying to help

• 4. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Subclips are sourced by clips.  There are no subsequences (so to speak).

"Presyncing with clear audio" can be done with Merged clips, which can have subclips.

• 5. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Are you saying that rather than create sequences, I should create these Nests?

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that at the point where you intend to make the subclip, select the portion of the timeline that you want to use, right click and make a nest of it. Name the nest. You will find that nest in the current bin.

• 6. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                    elfilms Level 1

Hi Steven, I've now checked out how Nests work. It seems to be an upward building tool. ie. you start with clips/subclips to make a sequence. Then you nest sequences into a master one. Is this correct?

The assumption is that all the source sequences are already of the length that you want them to be. Adjusting the source sequences lengths will then affect the master sequence in some way.

For this to work, then, I would have to make multiple copies of audio-synced sequences (one for each "extract"), then trim each one to the size I need and then nest them. This is not really a trivial workaround, is it? But I will give it a go.

I already tried just marking in and out in the selected sequence (in program window) and selecting nest. This creates a nested sequence of the entire clip  (not the in/out selection). And only the video is nested - but here I'm likely doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Jim, I take your point, but that doesn't help my current situation. PP is unable to sync my clips the way that Pluraleyes does.

• 7. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Hi Steven, I've now checked out how Nests work. It seems to be an upward building tool. ie. you start with clips/subclips to make a sequence. Then you nest sequences into a master one. Is this correct?

That is how many people look at them, yes.

But it is not necessary to think of them that way.

If you want to use the razor tool and cut the sections you want to use as a subclip, you can nest them, rename it, and have it in the bin when you need it just like a subclip.

If the razor cuts bother you, Premier Pro CC added the ability to heal them again with "Join Through Edits".

• 8. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                        shooternz Level 6

I really do not understand this

All docos need pre-syncing with clear audio, creating a "multi-cam sequence" - which I then cannot subclip. I understand there are some clunky work-arounds. But Adobe, this is not acceptable - not for any serious editing work.

What has a "multicam" sequence got to do with pre synching?

A multi cam sequence is an editing sequence for multiple cameras ( or angles).  It is not the primary tool to synchronise double system sound recording.

• 9. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That's the point I was making in post 4.

• 10. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                            elfilms Level 1

Hi All - It's been awhile, but I've just got back into editing and thought I should close by saying -

I now understand the "create nest" action that Stephen was talking about in post 7. Yes you are right, they work just the same as subclips and I can apply effects (which was my original target action) to nests created this way.

Re Posts 4 & 8 - just a terminology issue. I was wanting to keep the original multiple media tracks visible (in my case multiple audio tracks and single video track which I had pre-synced in PluralEyes before import) and was finding they were all joined up into a single sequence bar. But after a few more searches, found the toggle that allows you to Insert and Overwrite sequences as nests - which made the original tracks individually visible.

Stephen - Thanks for your patience to help me work through this.

• 11. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Always glad to help out. Thanks for the update.

• 12. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                                klipperflix Level 1

Now that I understand that PPro makes multi-cam sequences and not clips, I understand why there is no subclip functionality for multicams. Unfortunately, having come from Avid and FCP, I have gotten used to being able to treat synchronous sets of several cameras as clips, so I really miss that functionality. Just to take one example: 2 camera interview shoot, 30 minutes long. Once the multicam is created, it would be nice to break the 30 minutes down into subclips for each question or remark by interviewee. As it currently stands in PPro, it seems I first have to make subclips from each camera, then create multicam sequences from those subclips. That's doubling the amount of work I have to do, and its purely redundant. Either that our use the nesting workaround described above. Which seems cludgy, but I'll give it a try.

It would be nice if Adobe added clip-like behavior for multicam. Alternately, they could exand the merge-clips functionality to allow multiple video clips to be merged by audio, not just video+audio.

• 13. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You could just make a sequence of selects instead of subclips.  Might be easier than your proposed work around.

• 14. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                                    eevans05 Level 1

Another option is to "Flatten" the multicam footage so they revert back to regular clips. As long as you already have your multicam cuts in place this could be an excellent workaround.

• 15. Re: Why can't I create subclips from a multi-camera sequence?
                                      rfmeredith Level 1

This workaround works with any sequence including nested/multicam. Seems like a lot of steps but it only takes a few seconds and is the only way I have discovered to quickly collect sub-sequences in a bin.

In timeline, mark in/out. Copy. Move playhead to a point after the end of your sequence. Paste. Lasso the clips you just pasted. Right-Click, select Make Sub Sequence.

This is a variation on Jim Simon's suggestion to collect subclips in a new timeline. It just takes it one step farther and puts them into a bin.