2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 7:53 PM by pwillener

How can I install Flash Player without installing Chrome

lynmar1206

I use Win 7 64 bit.

And IE

I would like to upgrade Flash Player with you installing Google or Chrome.

It is very difficult to get rid of the remnants of Chrome when I uninstall it.

At least give us a choice during the upgrade process.

• 1. Re: How can I install Flash Player without installing Chrome
          Mike M Level 6

No big fan of Chrome myself, but I've yet to see a Flash Player download that DIDN'T have a box (or "radio button") to unselect Chrome and that annyoing Google Toolbar during the install process. It only takes a fraction of a second to uncheck. By comparison, much less time than it takes to log in here and post a complaint about it installing because someone didn't uncheck the option.

I will heartily agree that it's hard to get rid of, as well. The "uninstaller" leaves folders and registry keys behind that must be manually removed. Except that I need it for testing web pages, I wouldn't have Chrome installed. Sadly, that's not as kind as anything I can say about IE. I ONLY ever open it at all for testing webpages locally (before they ever go to a server). In six years on my Windows 7 machine, and just over two weeks on my Win 8 machine I can honestly say I've NEVER fully opened a single online webpage in IE 8, 9 or 10. I use Firefox as my default browser and have since 2003. Next is Safari, and then Opera. Chrome is for testing and IE is for extremely limited testing.

• 2. Re: How can I install Flash Player without installing Chrome
            pwillener Level 8

lynmar1206 wrote:

At least give us a choice during the upgrade process.

I usually install Flash Player updates manually as soon as they are announced.  However, this time I waited until the automatic updater kicked in, just to see if the endless complaints about forced 3rd-party software were true.  This is what the updater pop-up presented me with

sw11.8.PNG

Are you saying that you did not get these checkboxes when you got the update prompt?