8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 5:57 PM by Joel Cherney

Best mouse for InDesign

DP-LES

My company upgraded our operating system to Windows 7 and upgraded InDesign to CS6. Unfortunately my ancient (yet awesome) mouse no longer works due to driver incompatibility. They no longer make this mouse so getting an updated version/driver is not an option. I'm looking for a new one and am hoping I can get some feedback as to what others use with InDesign. I specifically want to be able to scroll horizontally in InDesign. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a microsoft Intelliopti mouse that predates 2001 - it works great.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
            Cozmicone Level 4

If you hold the Ctrl key and scroll the mouse wheel you can move horizontally so the mouse you get really shouldn't matter. This shortcut works in lots of Adobe programs.

• 3. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've been partial to Logitech mice for years and was using an old LX3 untill about 6 months ago when it died. Now using the m510 which is about as basic a wireless full-size mouse as they currently make with a tilt wheel for horizontal scrolling. It's not flawless, however -- there seems to a be a display bug that crops up in ID with Logitech mice that shifts the dispaly from High Quality to typical when you use the scroll wheel sometimes, particularly horizontally. This is fixed easily by holding Alt + Spacebar to get the hand tool and clicking anywhere.

• 4. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
                DP-LES Level 1

Thank you so much for the suggestions and the tip of the control key!!! That would have saved lots of time! Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
                  Igor.Freiberger Level 1

When using ID with Windows, I chose Logitech Nano or Performance because their 5+ buttons are programmable in an app-based mode. The forward/rewind or next/previous buttons would act as left/right scroll in InDesign. Or you can just use the wheel as in these models it also moves laterally to produce horizontal scroll.

Since I switched to Mac, I rely on a Mac Magic Mouse with several gestures controlled by BetterTouchTool.

• 6. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
                    LindaLRAmar Level 1

Doesn't work in Windows 8. Anybody know if there's a key combination that scrolls horizontally in ID in Windows 8? My Logitec mouse scrolls horizontally in other programs, but not InDesign. The control key doesn't help.

• 7. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
                      Cozmicone Level 4

Hold the Ctrl key and scroll the mouse wheel.

• 8. Re: Best mouse for InDesign
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since I switched to Mac, I rely on a Mac Magic Mouse with several gestures controlled by BetterTouchTool.

I usually speak out against mice - I hate the things - but having one hand on a Razer Naga and the other hand on the touchpad on my Macbook Pro, with extensive customization in BetterTouchTool, is almost as good as a keyboard.