3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2013 7:43 AM by Peter Grainge RSS

WebHelp Bold Formatting Display Different in IE 9 Display

Freespirit-ST Community Member

We are displaying generated WebHelp system in an IE 9 browser, so different than before when our system ran in IE 7.  We are using RH 8. In IE 7 browser, bold formatting displayed as expected as it appeared in the project and our system.  But our system to which the WebHelp is integrated is now running in an IE 9 or IE 10 browser. 

But now the bolding of words displays differently in IE 9 browser, depending on whether the HTML code is "<p style="font-weight: bold;">" [followed by a <span style="font-weight: normal;"> further in the paragraph], OR "<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">".  It is a noticeable difference - with the font-size appearing larger.

In the project, for example, the HTML code is:

<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">Threshold</span> - The criteria associated

with the alert message. </p>

<p style="font-weight: bold;">Request Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request was added to the queue.</span></p>

<p style="font-weight: bold;">Scheduled Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request will be processed</span><span style="font-weight: normal;">&#160;</span>

BoldFormatDisplayProblem.jpg

In the generated WebHelp topic displayed in IE 9 browser, I did a View Source on the topic to troubleshoot.  What I see that's different is that somehow an additional "<b>" tag got added to the bolded text that was formatted with "<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">.  So the View Source now looks like this:

<p><span style="font-weight: bold;"><b>Threshold</b></span>

- The criteria associated with the alert message.

</p>

< p style="font-weight: bold;">Request Date - <span style="font-weight: normal;">The

date and time when the alert request was added to the queue.</span></p>

Somehow this discrepancy in the HTML coding of the bold formatting got resolved correctly in IE prior to IE 9.  As you can imagine, to correct this manually throughout a Help project with hundreds of topics would take an enormous effort on my part. The correct display is formatted with the <p> tag containing the style attribute of bold.

As suggested in other threads, I checked my CSS, and the <p> tag has "font-weight=normal".  So, as far as I can tell, it's not the stylesheet - though I would love a global solution like that.  Also, the same bolding issue is happening on text within paragraphs.

So, I'm desperate here!!  Please help with any solutions, as soon as you can.