19 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2014 6:48 PM by Nicol Simard

Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great

Nicol Simard Level 1

I have been using two Titans in SLI configuration ever since PPro CC came out. It worked fine with all my projects but some bug would prevent me to run the H.264 test in PPBM6. Rendering always stopped with an error message. But today's update has fixed that problem. I can now say that Titans in SLI configuration works fine with my computer.

What kind of difference does it make in my results? It "only" doubled my MPE gain (says I sarcastically). My PPBM6 results with 1 Titan gave me a 9.7X MPE gain. Two titans now gives me a 17.8X MPE gain. I couldn't have hoped for better results.

• 1. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nicol,

With the newly available Premiere Pro 7.0.1 (105) that is now available from CC you can now run the complete PPBM6 benchmark.  I am dying to know how much faster your dual Titans run with this greatly improved benchmark (over the PPBM5 version).  As you already know I can get the MPEG2-DVD encoding with GPU to run at 16 seconds when I throw the GTX 680 and GTX 780 at my older PCIe x16 version 2.0 motherboard.  You should better that by quite a bit I would guess.  Incidentally, Speccy is reporting your CPU core speeds incorrectly.  What are they actually running at? .

• 2. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
            Nicol Simard Level 1

I run two E5-2687. Their speed is 3.1 GHz with 3.8 GHz in turbo mode.

As for the test, I sent the results in this afternoon. I wish I could kick your butt with my results but my RAID speed doesn't compare to yours nor Harm's.

• 3. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
              Nicol Simard Level 1

By the way, I do not improve your MPEG2-DVD score by much (only 2 seconds), but I totally blow your H.264-BR score out of the water with a very fast 71 seconds versus you 204 seconds.

And my total test time went from 192 seconds to 131 seconds. That's 29 seconds faster than Harm's monster. But you guys still destroy my Disk I/O score.

• 4. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                JEShort01 Level 4

Nick,

I'm amazed that Titans in SLI are working so well with CC. So far as I know, especially since prior to CC I don't think SLI was even supported.

Several questions:

- what is the full breakdown for your fastest PPBM6 run using CC - disk I/O seconds, Blu-ray seconds, DVD seconds, and DVD w/o MPE seconds?

- have you ever run PPBM6 CC using both Titans but without SLI enabled? If so, I'd love to know those results too!

- are you selecting the NTSC DV Wide for the MPEG2-DVD tests? (NTSC 23.976 Widescreen High Quality isn't an option)?

I want to experiment with PPBM6 on CC soon and have a GTX Titan and GTX 780 on hand, but unfortunately I don't have a matched pair of either to do any SLI testing .

Thanks,

Jim

• 5. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great

Jim, Sorry about that I guess I will have to make new instructions on the selection of the MPEG2-DVD encoding that conforms to PrP 7.0.1.  You should use the "NTSC 23.976p Wide" preset turning off the audio.  The "Estimated File Size" is 94 MB.

I have not been able to understand my long H.264 BR encoding times in my testing of CS6 and CS7.  I do not know if is the RAM difference (my 24 GB versus those three others that are 64 GB systems that are more around 100 seconds versus my 200 seconds.

I have a pair of GTX 660's that I will have to figure out how to make them in SLI mode. and test against my non-SLI scores.

• 6. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                    Nicol Simard Level 1

The first and easiest answer is regarding using the Titans without SLI. When I first tried it a while back, it was simply nowhere near as fast. As for my PPBM6 results, they go like this:

Disk I/O:         46 seconds

H.264:             71 seconds

MPEG2-DVD: 14 seconds

MPE gain:        17.8

MPEG2-DVD:  249 seconds

(without GPU)

I will run the PPBM6 test with the Titans working separately (no SLI) on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes. But I do not expect great results.

As Bill told you, I selected the NTSC DV Wide since the Widescreen High Quality isn't available in PPro CC.

• 7. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

Thanks for your clarification regarding the PPBM6 DVD export pre-set.

Regarding why is blu-ray encoding so slow on our first generation i7 6-cores (my i7-970 and your i7-980x) vs. the newer generation 6/8 core cpus, I'm not really sure, but I am curious?

In any case, I don't think it has to do with having only 24GB of RAM. Testing with a fast dual-Xeon (e5-2687w) Dell (PPBM6 & CC 7.0.1), Blu-ray export times are roughly:

- full RAM allocation - 72 seconds

- limit Premiere CC to use 20GB - 78 seconds

- limit Premiere CC to use 16GB - 93 seconds

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Nicol,

Thanks for the numbers! You mention when you tried it, "a while back". Does this mean that these results were using CS6 and not CC?

I was asking about the breakdown for your fastest result as well. (dual Titan in SLI and Prem CC I think)

Thanks,

Jim

• 9. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                          Nicol Simard Level 1

By a while back, I actually meant a few weeks ago, when PPro CC had a bug that prevented the use of SLI. I will try again PPBM 6 today, but this time without SLI.

• 10. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                            Nicol Simard Level 1

Jim,

I have tested PPro CC with the two Titans not connected in SLI and the results were identical to having the cards connected in SLI. The bug fixing they did must have had some major impact on how the cards are used because I used to get much better results in SLI configuration in the previous version PPro CC.

• 11. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                              jasonvp Level 3

Nicol Simard wrote:

I have tested PPro CC with the two Titans not connected in SLI and the results were identical to having the cards connected in SLI.

That's good news for folks that use OS X vs Windows, since the former doesn't support SLI.  It'd also seem to imply that if you had 2 (or N) identical AMD cards, you might not need to worry about Crossfire, either.  Again:  a bonus for OS X users because, once again: no Crossfire support on the OS.

Thanks for taking the time to run through the testing!

• 12. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Honestly I am more surprised the performance is the same in SLI mode than independent mode. I would not have expected that based on how SLI works.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                  Nicol Simard Level 1

I am surprised too because it wasn't the case before they fixed the bug. SLI worked much better. So I decided not to take a chance and I am keeping my cards in SLI anyway.

• 14. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                    Kranex1 Level 1

It isn't, so if result improve something else is going on. SLI improves gaming.

• 15. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                      djmic71

Hello Nicol,

i 'm french. Last July, you are written " I have been using two Titans in SLI configuration ever since PPro CC came out. It worked fine with all my projects but some bug would prevent me to run the H.264 test in PPBM6. Rendering always stopped with an error message. But today's update has fixed that problem. I can now say that Titans in SLI configuration works fine with my computer."

i m using ppro cc 7.2.2 (i7-4770k/win7/24 go ram) with two titans in sli configuration enable. But when i run h264 test in ppbm6 the encode process is very long , and the computer begins to freeze...any idea ? i hope to use sli enable because i play sli games...and each time i want run run premiere pro without issues in rendering i m must turn off sli and rebooting !!!!!

thank's a lot !

• 16. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great

Sounds like you have an overheating problem.  Check all your temperatures.

• 17. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                          Nicol Simard Level 1

As Bill told you, it may be an overheating problem. It works fine over here.

• 18. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                            djmic71 Level 1

Thanks for your reply,

i think it's not an overheating problem : all temp are ok.

when sli is enable :

ppbm7 with h264 export freeze my computer with premiere pro 7.0, 7.0.1 and 7.2.2 , but just after , with premiere pro 6.0.5, it's ok !!!!

when sli disable : premiere pro 7.2.2 and cs6 6.0.5 work fine with the h264 export.

it's a bug of premiere cc ?? sli doesn't work by design ?

when h264 export freeze, all the computer is slow...very hard to move the mouse and :

i see one process "importerserverred.exe" by thread (100%cpu,8 threads with i7-4770k),

z tool show  memory used is very high very quickly on the two gpus : 2000 mega...only 900 mega when it's ok with cs6 6.0.5 or 7.2.2(when sli disable)

i'm very sad....i know sli isn't supported by adobe, but each time i use premiere pro cc i must reboot the computer...with after effects no problem with sli enable...

the computer is new, fast .... with ppbm7 mpeg2dvd export only 12 sec with gpus on..it's very good, but but this bug is troublesome :h264 export freeze, avi export freeze, mpeg export freeze....(but a simple timeline with 4 or five clips no problem export!)

help !

• 19. Re: Bug fixed - Titans in SLI now works great
                                              Nicol Simard Level 1

I have no problem rendering h.264 videos using my Titans in SLI. In fact, I am doing it right now. However, I have good news for you: I believe Premiere can still use both cards whether or not they are in SLI. Give it a try.