2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 6:37 AM by Electroscribe_2015

Trouble importing Word 2010 and 2013 files into InDesign CS4

Electroscribe_2015 Level 1

On a number of occasions, when I place .docx files saved in Microsoft Word 2013 for Windows into InDesign CS4  (6.06) on my computer, all I see is blank space. No text gets imported.

Will upgrading to InDesign CS6 (8.X) solve this problem, or do we need to "down save" all Word 2010 or 2013 files in compatibility mode (Word 2003)

• 1. Re: Trouble importing Word 2010 and 2013 files into InDesign CS4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to that, but my guess would be no. Problematic Word files seem to work better the earlier the version of ID you place them in, which implies there's something odd about the Word file, and it won't get better.

• 2. Re: Trouble importing Word 2010 and 2013 files into InDesign CS4
            Electroscribe_2015 Level 1

Three days agi I edited a Microsoft Word 2007 file that contained text and pictures  on my work's notebook computer, running Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Office Professional 2007 and Adobe InDesign CS4.

I then opened the same file on another computer running Windows 7 Professional but loaded with Microsoft Office Professional 2013.

I saved the file as a .docx, but allowed Word  2013 to save it in the newest format. I also saved a copy as "Word 2003 and earlier (.doc)".

On my work laptop, I created a file in Adobe InDesign CS4, and chose the Place command, and placed each of the three Microsoft Word versions in different text frames.

The Word 2013 file produced a totally blank text frame. InDesign imported no text or pictures. Just a number sign

import from 2013.PNG

The file, opened in Word 2013, but downsaved as Word 2003 (.doc instead of .docx), placed the text correctly but did not import the picture.

import from 2003.PNG

Then, on my own laptop, equipped with the identical version of Windows 7 Professional, pened a copy of the InDesign  file in Adobe InDesign CS6 (8).

Deleted all imported text and created three blank text boxes.

Again, chose the  Place command from the file menu

InDesign CS6 seamlessly imported all text and pictures from the .docx file saved in Word 2013.

import from 2013 to CS6.PNG

It did the same for the  file saved as Word 2003  and the file saved on my EPA computer as a .docx in Word 2007.

So newer software does make a difference.