9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 2:41 PM by Liter Cola

Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6

project_c Level 1

It's a small issue, but one that was a no brainer in CS5 - I use Legacy Brightness Contrast about 80 times a day, and CS6 no longer keeps it ticked, I have to manually enable it every single time, and by about the 57th time of having to do this every day, it becomes a more than a little irritating. As some of you will remember, CS5 just kept it ticked once you selected it.

The new brightness / contrast is great for certain tasks, not so great for others. I, and I'm sure many others rely on the legacy version. Anyone know of a workaround for keeping it ticked as in the previous version?

• 1. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You could use a script and either record an action to use the script or put the in your

program (application)>photoshop presets>scripts folder and assign a keyboard shortcut the script

which would be under File>Scripts.

Below is an javascript for using legacy brightness and contrast adjustment layer

Copy the scrpt below and save it as whatever name you want with an .jsx extension

// =======================================================
          var idMk = charIDToTypeID( "Mk  " );
              var desc45 = new ActionDescriptor();
              var idnull = charIDToTypeID( "null" );
                  var ref24 = new ActionReference();
                  var idAdjL = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );
                  ref24.putClass( idAdjL );
              desc45.putReference( idnull, ref24 );
              var idUsng = charIDToTypeID( "Usng" );
                  var desc46 = new ActionDescriptor();
                  var idType = charIDToTypeID( "Type" );
                      var desc47 = new ActionDescriptor();
                      var iduseLegacy = stringIDToTypeID( "useLegacy" );
                      desc47.putBoolean( iduseLegacy, true );
                  var idBrgC = charIDToTypeID( "BrgC" );
                  desc46.putObject( idType, idBrgC, desc47 );
              var idAdjL = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );
              desc45.putObject( idUsng, idAdjL, desc46 );
          executeAction( idMk, desc45, DialogModes.NO );

• 2. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
            project_c Level 1

Thanks for your help, and for taking time out to post that, I really appreciate it. 

Unfortunately using an adjustment layer adds to the workflow and complicates it, which means it's not really an improvement on what I'm already doing. This just replaces the existing extra step (ticking 'use legacy') with another ('merge down'). 

• 3. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

What R-Kelly gave you was Action manager code to add an adjustment layer generated by the scriplistener plug-in.  I don't know why he then wanted to slow down an action by using a script for something the action could do on its own. 

To do what you want to do simply record an action with an assigned F key . Record a single step menu Image>Adjustment>Brightness and Contrast. In the Pop up Brightness  and Contrast dialog check legacy set the adjustment you want or click Auto. Then click OK. Stop recording the action and save the Action set.  You now have a one click brightness and contrast key.  If you want to set the setting manually turn on the step dialog.  It will pop open with legacy checked and the recorded settings.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
                project_c Level 1

That would be great if I wanted the same setting every time - but I need to adjust settings manually every time, so setting up an action (which would just apply the same setting every time) is not an option.

• 5. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You missed the last sentance you can cnange the setting..... If you want to set the setting manually turn on the step dialog.  It will pop open with legacy checked and the recorded settings. 

• 6. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6

I didn't know whether project_c was using an adjustment layer or image>adjustments (my bad), so i posted the script because

in photoshop cs6/cc recording an action for using legacy in the brightness/contrast adjustment layer doesn't seem

to keep the legacy setting.

An action for Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast does seem to keep the legacy setting.

• 7. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6

As JJMack explained, if you enable the Toggle Dialog ON, then the brightness/contrast dialog should open when you run your recorded action.

You can set a keyboard shortcut (function key) using the Action Options.

more about recording actions:

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/tutorials/actions.html

Untitled-1.png

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
                        project_c Level 1

Ok, I understand now - that works! I apologise for being a bit slow. I wasn't aware that the toggle / step dialog could break up actions into individual steps in this way when dialogue / tick boxes were involved.

Many thanks again to both of you for your help, it's much appreciated. You've made my life a bit easier..

• 9. Re: Legacy Brightness / Contrast in CS6
                          Liter Cola

I just upgraded to cc today and am running into a similar issue.  The problem is that I use the legacy contrast on a layer for my workflow.  I had a setting I would use and then adjust only if needed.  Is there a way to keep the legacy box ticked in an action that involves layers?  Or is it just something they broke with cc?