9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 10:19 AM by JQizzle

The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!

cscooper2013 Level 2

*** This was happening before the update, and the update to 7.01 has not fixed this issue.***

I have a series of intros and end slates for a YouTube series.  I (kind of) love the new Import Sequence from Project feature, new in PPr CC.  But more often than not, trying to import a sequence from another project using the Media Browser causes Premiere to crash.  Can anyone else report whether this is NOT working for you, too.  I can imagine scenarios where you either don't use this feature, or haven't gotten around to it since the launch of CC. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to test and verify whether this is a bug.

Win7 64-bit

ASUS g75vx Laptop

i7-3630qm

NVIDIA GTX-670mx, 3GB GDDR5

16GB RAM

• 1. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

I import sequences from other projects fairly frequent, and don't recall ever hitting a crash.

Does a given sequence sometimes succeed in importing but other times trigger a crash? Or is it a sequence-by-sequence thing, where some always work and others always crash?

• 2. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
            cscooper2013 Level 2

Well, certainly one of my sequences (let's call it "A") always causes a crash.  Sequence B was NOT causing a crash last week.  Today sequence B started crashing (in 7.0).  So I updated to 7.01 and tried again.  Still crashing (always, now).  So I set out to create a new sequence C. 

To create sequence C, I opened a successfully completed project from last week.  I Saved As... "New Opening Sequences".  Next, I cut away every sequence except for the sequence that holds the intro.  I did a Project > Remove Unused to get rid of all the footage, titles, etc.  Now I had a project that only contained Sequence C and it's linked media.  Nothing is offline.  Everything is in tact.

Finally, I open the project I need to finish today.  I need to add the bumper to the front of the video.  So I navigate within the Media Browser to find the "New Opening Sequences" project.  I double click.  I get the yellow, dynamic link-like loading bar.  When the project media, bins and sequences appear, I double-click the sequence I want to impor.... KKKKKEHEHHE!!!  Crash.

I'll restart to get you the exact error message...

WOW!!!  I just left this window open to go get the exact error message for you.  I went through the same steps above.  It worked this time.  So to answer your question, Sequence C is also hit or miss.  This is the first successful attempt today (about 10 previous tries, restarts, etc).

Definitely seems like a bug.  Can anyone else reproduce this crash?

P.S. - Perhaps it's significant, perhaps not:  In all cases, A, B and C, these sequences have Dynamic Linked footage from After Effects (animations).  While they do have some live-action, they are primarily AE animations.  This may help you reproduce the crash.

I'm also not running anything unusual.  Mainly the OS, a browser, Webroot SecureAnywhere (Anti-virus), Premiere.

• 3. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
              Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

The presence of an AE comp sounds like a promising lead. We'll investigate. Thanks for the additional info.

• 4. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                Morgan Francis

We have the same or similar issues, I think it's the double clicking that is causing the crashing. If we double click in a bin window to call up the import panel Premiere crashes 9 times out of ten. If we go to file/import or use the keyboard Cntrl+i it never crashes!

This might help as a work around: select your file and then use the 'open' button rather than double clicking.

• 5. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                  jamesp2 Level 1

The crashes appear to be an intermittant problem.  Attempting to importing anything from another project (sequence, clip bin, clip), via the Media Browser, has caused crashes.

But it definitely does happen, though not all the time.

• 6. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                    cscooper2013 Level 2

Thanks, Morgan.  Yes, I (finally) discovered the same.  In my case it was a right-click > Import that solved it (most of the time).  Though it still crashes just trying to navigate around inside the project folders while you're searching for the timeline, or media, to import from inside another project.  In other words, what you said:  Double-clicking around within another project inside the Media Browser causes the crash.

But, Morgan, I was under the impression that CTRL + i does not grant access to the "import timeline from another project" feature; that this new type of dynamic link-ish feature could only be accessed within the Media Browser.  Is that wrong?

Can anyone else confirm this is also a problem for you?  Adobe?

• 7. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                      Morgan Francis Level 1

Nope your right about CTL + i not granting access to import from inside a project I was just using at as an example of the 'double clicking' nature of crashes when importing files. In that instance if you just double click a file from a normal media browser from anywhere on you system it wiil crash quite a lot too.

• 8. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                        cscooper2013 Level 2

I saw there is a new update available as of a couple days ago (7/23 or thereabouts).  The update description says it addresses Dynamic Link related features.  Can anyone who had this problem before confirm that it now works?  (I won't be able to install the update until my current project is finished in a few days).

• 9. Re: The new Import Sequence feature causes Premiere Pro CC to CRASH!
                          JQizzle Level 1

I realize this is an older thread now, but I'm running into an issue that is at least similar. When I'm importing certain sequences into a premiere file from ANOTHER premiere file...it says it's importing, then it finishes, but the sequence I'm trying to import...just does't show up. I've tried right clicking to import, I've tried importing from the  file menu, and I've tried double clicking. Oddly, some of the sequences will import, others don't. But I can't figure out any differences between them (other than the footage.)

Basically, it's not crashing, but...it's also not importing. It seems like it's basically completing the process...without actually completing the process. There isn't a warning dialog of any kind.

I'm on Mavericks by the way.

I hadn't ran into this before. This is stopping me up pretty bad, as I'm trying to import the stringouts that another editor has completed. Any insight?