5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 9:53 AM by jbowden

What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?

Henry Code Level 1

Trying to add meta tags for search engines, what are the best ways to do this?

• 1. Re: What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

The best way to add meta tags is to manually edit the HTML file that Edge Animate produces in a text editor, and add them there.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?
            Xoco Level 3

With the latest version of Edge (3.0) is still the best practice to edit index.html or is there a better one?

Y try for example...

var meta1 = '<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />';

$(meta1).appendTo("head");

...in creationComplete or in document.compositionReady but I can't see these lines in index.html file, are stored in index_edgeActions.js file.

But maybe that works to attach the meta tags with append to head because it does work fine (and neither are saved in the index.html):

var favicon = "<link rel='shortcut icon' href='images/volicon.png' type='image/png'/>" ;

$(favicon).appendTo("head");

I don't know if Google detect meta tags stored in index_edgeAtions.js or is more recommended to modify index.html manually with notepad.

Maybe the best practice are save and publish Edge project with a name different than index (for example project.an and project.html) and to create an index.html manually with meta tags, code of Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager, etc., and with HTML meta http-equiv Attribute for to redirect immediately to project.html generate with Edge (remember disallow project.html in robots.txt). In this way is not necessary to modify the index.html file each time that we publish.

How do you see?

• 3. Re: What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Edge Animate is not an HTML editor. That needs to be said. 

That said, as far as I know search engines still read meta tags from HTML files, so I wouldn't advise injecting it from the runtime by appending the head element using Javascript, although the end result may be the same (but I don't know the inner workings of each search engine when it comes to harvesting meta tags). In case of any doubt, conventional wisdom should prevail, so I'd recommend adding them to the head section of the HTML file if you want them.

Also note: once you add meta tags to the head element in the composition HTML file, Animate will not overwrite them when you save the composition again.

• 4. Re: What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?
                Xoco Level 3

Yes, it's true when "you add meta tags to the head element in the composition HTML file, Animate will not overwrite them when you save the composition again."

I added meta tags to index.html in publish\web folder and every time that I published, the index.html was overwriten.

• 5. Re: What is the best way to add "meta tags" in edge?
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

Yes, publishing does overwrite existing published files in the targeted directory. However, if you add the meta tags to the composition HTML as I advised, those tags will also be in the published output HTML file.

hth,

Joe