19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2013 9:19 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!

Frustration321

As it says, I feel like I've tried absolutley every setting for export, and every method for text, (premier and photoshop) and still when I export the text is extremely bloated and blurry.   Ive checked around all the forums extensively, and it seems like it's a relatively common problem, but none of the answeres have helped me and/or were a bit too technical in some cases for me to follow.  If anyone can help, I would be eternally greatful.  Thanks so much.

Edit:

Ive tried exporting the text with the video blank, and of course with the video running as well, does not seem to make any difference.

• 1. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Frustration321,

I hate to add to your frustration, but bear with me and maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

What is the frame size and the drame rate of your video sourse, and what is the frame size and frame rate of the export?

While I wait for your answer, I am going to create a little project and export some text. You should see that the text comes out pretty clean. You should be able to download my project and get the same results.

Be right back.

Edit: Oh, and which version of Premiere Pro?

• 2. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
            Frustration321 Level 1

For the most part the framerate is 29.97  1920x1080

For export I have tried a million different settings, what I first went with and am still trying to tweak is:  29.97  1920x1080

note* one of two of the cips within the project are shot at 24 fps, rather than 29.97 but I've tried putting the text over each of them with the same blurry and distorted result.

I really appreciate you takin ghte time to help me get this squared away.  Ive never had too many problems with video but text has always been an issue, im only complaining about it now because this is a project that needs to look good.

Edit:

When I check the boxes on the 'render at maximum depth' and 'use maximum render quality' options, it changes my original export setting of 'HD 1080p 29.97' and now reads 'custom'

• 3. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I used those settings and produced this short video.

I didn't bother to check any boxes. I just exported to H.264 at the default (except I changed it to CBR to make it go faster - I need to get ready for work)

It looks pretty clean to me. I did put the default shadow on it. Black on the white text and light gray on the black text.

Capture.PNG

Edit: Is this acceptable? Tell me what version of Premiere Pro you are using and I can post a file for you. But really, I just used a shadow and I exported to H.264 aqnd it came out fine as far as I can tell. Play this back full screen at the highest quality on YouTube.

• 4. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                Frustration321 Level 1

it looks infinitely better than mine, give me a sec and ill post a screen of what im dealing with, i think theres 5 different tests on this one.

• 6. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                  Frustration321 Level 1

this is a screen shot of a test video, it looks better here then it does when the video is playing but still not as crisp as when I generate the text in Premier Pro6.....sooooo stumped

Edit:   uploading a sample to youtube, standby for link

Edit: 

Edit:  It still looks better (not quite where it should be though) as the video here, so why when I play it on VLC or Mediaplayer does it look so terrible, even when i resize the player to small..  AHHHHHH!

Edit:  Updated Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_TePsaXFMs&feature=youtu.be       should be viewable now

• 7. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Put a light gray shadow on the text.

Also, what are the sequence settings exactly?

Can you create a new DSLR sequence at 1920X1080 using 29.97? Then export a clip from that to a 1080p YouTube video?

• 8. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                      Frustration123

Sorry to change names on you here, but I forgot my login.

"Can you create a new DSLR sequence at 1920X1080 using 29.97? Then export a clip from that to a 1080p YouTube video?"

not sure what you mean by this.  Are you asking me if I can personally do it or if it is possible?  what is a DSLR sequence?  here are two         screens of of the main things ive tried, but I have gone through MANY variations:

Edit: looks like you cant read this, let me try again, stand by

Highest Setting Ive Tried.jpgGeneric HQ.jpg

• 9. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                        Frustration123 Level 1

Try These, as I said though, I've tried many different methods:

Edit: they may not be readable:

HD 1080p 29.97

1920x1080

frame rate 29.97

NTSC

Profile: main

Level 4.2

Render at maximum depth checked

Bitrate encoding: VBR 2 Pass

Target Bit 32

Max Bit 40

Use max render quality checked

(these settings change the "HD 1080p 29.97" to "custom" in the preset field.   Have also tried HD 1080p 29.97, HD 1080p 24,  AVI, AVI uncompressed, Youtube HD...)

Custom.jpgHD.jpg

• 10. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

I would start by trying a different font for your text. The serif font you're using has some fine lines that I think the encoder is struggling to compress without introducing artifacts. If that doesn't help, consider increasing the encoding bitrate.  In what app are you reviewing the output video? If it's anything other than VLC, give that player a try. If you're reviewing the output in PPRO, what's are the "Paused Resolution" and "Playback Resolution"? (You can check that through the flyout menu in the upper left corner of the monitor panel.)

• 11. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                            Frustration123 Level 1

ive tried different fonts, and different variations of thos different fonts.  Im playing aorund with it right now....  just started a new project and didnt add video.  preset was 1080p i think, possibly I, not sure is P is an option, 24fps, loaded it up, exported and it worked fine.  added video, rendered again, looked fine, added a 29.9 video next to the 24.4 video in the time line and it worked.....  so so weird, i have no idea how all of a sudden its crisp in this new project.   Is there a way to change the project settings of my other project?  it would be a massive pain to start all over again on account of text.  Im not 100% sure what the preset was but I thought it was the same.   yes i alwayse use vlc

Edit:  In my other project, I also have 24fps and 29fps clips in the same timeline also.  I dont know whats different between these two projects.

• 12. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!

You can't change project settings, but you can copy all or part of the content from one sequence and paste it in another.

• 13. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                                Frustration123 Level 1

how do i do that?  just highlight copy, close prog, open new and paste? cant be that easy

Edit:  unreal, I guess it IS that easy, lost all my transitions and bins though.. 

• 14. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!

I couldn't have told you that copy/paste would survive closing/reopening the program.  Try it within the same program & session.  1) in the Project panel, create Sequence2 with the desired settings 2) With Sequence1 focused in the Timeline, select all, copy 3) go to Sequence2 in Timeline 4) Paste. I just tested this and all transitions survived. And of course you still have all your bins. At this point, you can delete the original sequence if so desired.

• 15. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I hate to say this, but since Mark is a highly skilled Abobe guy, and used to thinking at a higher level, he may have missed the obvious entry level problem.

Everyone who has been around a decade or more remembers that DV AVI had problems with text. In fact, there is a great article that is still valid for people who use DV AVI.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

My guess is that since you were using a 720X480 sequence in wide screen (1.2121) that it was using the DV AVI codec.

Having said that, let's address what I think might be the real issue. If you are actually shooting 1920X1080, you do not want to put your video on a 720X480 sequence. You want to put it on a 1920X1080 sequence.

If, when you create a new project in CS6 or earlier, you want to use one of the DSLR presets, like this:

Capture.PNG

If you are using Premiere Pro CC this dialog box is finally gone. No need for it.

In Premiere Pro CC (or even in CS6) all you need to do is to import your video, and then drag and drop one of the clips on the "New Item" button. Like the one seen here:

Capture.PNG

That will create the perfect timeline for you to use for that media type.

You see, the DV AVI codec really sucked at straight lines. Sharp lines drove it bonkers.

However, if you choose a 1920X1080 sequence, or create one from your media, it will use a codec that likes sharp, straight line just fine.

If you have any questions, please let me know. But I think this may have addresses your issue.

Edit: To move your existing timeline to the new one, just lasso the entire thing, Ctrl-c to copy, then select the new sequence and Ctrl-v to paste.

• 16. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!

Dang! I hate when I make a rookie mistake. I'm referring not to the problem with DV-AVI handling text poorly (which I'll freely admit I was oblivious to) but rather to the fact that the source sequence is 720x480! I thought it had been established that the source sequence was 1920x1080, but upon rereading the thread I see that detail was at best uncertain. Besides, I should've checked the screenshot.

For the record, while I'm a reasonably competent troubleshooter, have a fairly extensive mental catalog of known issues, and know a bit about some aspects of video, I've never worked with video in the real world. You wouldn't have to try too hard to stump me about gotchas that true editing pros are all too familiar with. Much of what I know about real-world pitfalls I learned on forums like these,  so keep the lessons coming.

• 17. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Mark,

You are a very handy guy to have around so no sweat. I missed the post where he said he fixed the problem, so we are on equal ground.

On this forum, there are a few different kinds of questions. Some are simple. They ask the right question, you answer. Simple.

Then there are the ones where they ask the wrong question. Then you have to attempt to figure out the reason for the question. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes not.

Then there are the questions that simply do not provide enough information. Those are tough so we just ask for more info. Or we guess and have a less than stellar percentage of guessing correctly.

We used to spend many, many hours telling people how to create the proper project and then later, the proper sequence. Now, with CC, it is all irrelevant. Drag, drop, edit. So simple. But not particularly intuitive for a new user.

If I was starting out from scratch like I did in 2001 with Premiere 6, and I wanted a timeline in CC, assuming I knew what a sequence was, and that was what I really wanted (a big "if") then I would go to "File / New / Sequence" and be presented with a list that was incomprehensible unless I happened to know that the mirrorless camera I use (Panasonic DMC-GH3) was sort of like a DSLR and I knew enough to pick a sequence appropriate for my footage.

But wait!!! I shoot 1920X1080 60p and that isn't on the list. Now what do I do? Woe is me. I head to the forum and my first post is "How the heck to I put my footage on a timeline? I can't find one! Where is it? I don't see a timeline menu anywhere! This program is CRAP"

I don't know exactly what you guys want to do about it. But maybe, when someone opens Premiere Pro, for the very first time anyway, a little "How To" shows up that says to import footage, and drop it on the icon and get started.

If it were up to me I wouldn't let them do a darn thing until they passed a short test based on a short tutorial that got them started. Experienced users would be told the shortcut around it so that every new version would not annoy them with the message. New users would get the shortcut info as soon as they passed the test. And then a preference setting could keep it away for as long as that version was being used.

• 18. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                                          Frustration123 Level 1

your both great and I appreciate the help.  As i said im not sure what the setup for the original project was but I would be surprised if I hadnt used the 1080 preset.  On the second one where the text worked, I did use it, although I dont have an DSLR option.   THanks for the help gents, much appreciated.

Edit:    actually, which version are you using that gives you so many project setup options?  my list is about half that..

• 19. Re: Horrible Quality Text Export - please help!
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You did use the smaller frame size. Look at the first image you posted in post #8 and look in the "Source" section right under the Export section. You can see that the source is smaller.

I am using CC, but CS6 had almost as many presets.

Which version are you using?