4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2013 9:14 AM by Peter Spier

Problems with font preview drop down

Coxy1981

Hi there

I have searched the forums and google but i could not find an answer to my question. I have noticed that my drop down font menu is retricted to around 2500 fonts. After that it does not load any furthur fonts. Is this normal? In Illustrator the drop down shows all fonts. I am using Fontexplorer 4 to manage my fonts. Also in the character tab, after around 2500 fonts the preview goes blank but i can still scroll through. I can use font explorer to source the font, but i wondered if anyone else had this issue/ if it is a bug or a corrupt font that is causing this? If so, how would i find the corrupt font?

• 1. Re: Problems with font preview drop down
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OS? Version of ID?

2500 fonts isn't enough? Waht do you do with all those fonts at once? How do you even find the one's you need?

• 2. Re: Problems with font preview drop down
            Coxy1981 Level 1

Hi Peter

Thanks for taking a look at my quetion. OS X Version 10.8.3, ID CS6. I normaly use Fontexplorer to find a font i am happy with, but sometimes i scroll through the font drop down menu in ID, but noticed that it stops at around the 2500th font.

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 16.39.05.jpg

Thats the furthest it will show - but i have plenty more fonts installed. Also in the Character tab after scrolling down, the font previews dissapear:

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 16.43.37.png

I have reinstalled Indesign, but this has not fixed the issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Problems with font preview drop down
              Coxy1981 Level 1

From reading about, i think i have found the answer! I think that Indesign will have a cap on the font preview drop down menu- which is why i should not activate all of my fonts (approx 5000) in Fontexplorer and only have a selected amount active. I will use Fontexplorer to find the font i need and then ctivate it. Also, if i have auto activate on, whenever i import a file that i dont have the fonts activated, it will automativally detect and activate them fro me.

I think this is the right answer!!

Cheers Peter

• 4. Re: Problems with font preview drop down
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Having only a few hundred essential fonts permanently active should also boost performance.