9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2013 3:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?

jimdrought

I'm new to Mac and Premiere Elements (former PC/Sony Vegas Movie user), and am trying to do a Ken Burns type photo slideshow wherein my photos are left in their normal cropped state.  Right now it seems all photos get cropped to fill the screen size (i.e. 16:9).  I saw where you could uncheck the scale photo size to media (or something to that effect) under the general setting in preferences, but using the pan/zool tool still shows photos cropped to fill screen.  I realize conflicting aspect ratio will result in black bars top/bottom or left/right of frame, and that's ok/what I want.  I'm hoping this is doable?  Thanks, Jim

• 1. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jimdrought

What version of Premiere Elements Mac are you using?

What are the pixel dimensins of the photos that you importing into the project? Do you have an assortment of landscape and portrait oriented photos and are having problems with the portrait oriented ones or both landscape and portrait oriented ones?

And, what are you or the project setting as the project preset for this project?

After you get the Timeline editing complete, but is you intended export?

We will be watching for the further details requested.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that, as I show you in my book, you must uncheck Scale to Frame Size BEFORE you add the photos to your project. This preference change only affects media added after the change is made.

• 3. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with the answers to ATR's questions, when you Zoom, exactly what would you like to have happen?

The reason that I ask that is that if your Still Image is smaller than the Project's Frame Size, when you "enlarge" your Image, to Zoom in on it, it will get larger, and at some point, probably extend beyond the Frame Size, but that will depend on how much you Zoom.

Also, if you find that you need more control, than offered in the Pan & Zoom Presets, you can Keyframe the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (Zoom), and Motion>Position (Pan, or Tilt) over time, to animate those operations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
                jimdrought Level 1

wow - thanks for all the quick replies.  First, let me add I am asking this question from work, while my software is loaded at home, so I may not be able to reference/answer all the questions (I know, not the best idea...).

I am using a just-purchased version 11.

The photo dimensions all vary - so yes, an assortment.

Project settings are 1080/1920HD.  As Steve suggested, I did uncheck (and even closed down/reopened) program before adding media to project).

In the timeline, they all show perfectly - photos either touch top/bottom perfectly (showing black on left/right), or touch left/right perfectly (showing bars top/bottom).  But here's the deal - when I then go into tools and select the pan/zoom tool, the window that appears does not match my project settings, but rather shows the photo fully zoomed into the window (so that no bars appear at all).  Shouldn't the (aspect ratio of the) window match the window from the project settings??  I can seem to "zoom" out so that the entire photo is displayed (black bars and all).

I may need to do the keyframe technique Bill mentions, but will probably have to look into that...

• 6. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Pan & Zoom Tool is really a somewhat simplified, and semi-automated Preset. It works for many situations, but I worry that yours might go beyond what it will do.

I do have to admit that I do not use the Pan & Zoom Tool, as only I know exactly what the subject matter of my Still Images is, and exactly how I want to Zoom into it, or Pan to it. My subjects are not often in the center of the Image area, so require my personal attention.

Now, and with that said, I find Keyframing of Motion>Scale and Motion>Position, to be very easy, but I do it all the time. If one is new to doing that, in PrE, I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Keyframing Learning Series on Muvipix.com. Though I use Keyframing often, in PrPro and After Effects, PrE has a few mechanical differences, so when I get stuck in PrE, I head to his Learning Series, or his books, to refresh how PrE 11 does things. Should you need any tips on Keyframing in PrE 11, stop by Muvipix.com for some useful tips, or refreshers.

Good luck,

hunt

• 7. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jimdrought

The primary question that I have is what is the end product...DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc, DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc or other?

Let us assume for now DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc. The next question that falls into line is the one relating to what you describe as an assortment of photos going into this project...what are the pixel dimensions (what range of...) and aspect ratio. For aspect ratio, are we talking 4:3 or 16:9. How many of these photos are landscape oriented or how many portrait oriented.

In generalities at this point, I would ask you to look at:

a. bringing your photos appropriately sized into a Premiere Elements project with an appropriate project preset.

b. leaving Edit Menu/Preferences/General with its Default Scale to Frame Size with a check mark.

c. in the workspace, scaling the photos to just fill the space in the Edit Mode Monitor

d. then one by one pan and zoom a photo with the Pan and Zoom Tool.

If you use this Tool, you should get good results. One consideration is that the process results in the Timeline photo having a much larger duration AFTER than BEFORE. If you see any pros in using this tool for your purposes, then you might want to explore the technique that I described for applying a pan and zoom effect from this Tool to more than one photo at a time.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-pan-zoom-tool-more-than-one-photo.html

You also might want to explore fxEffects/Presets for horizontal and vertical pans or zoom. The catch in the presets is that you can apply a pan OR zoom, not a pan AND zoom to each photo.

Keyframing of Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for Pan) should be explored under Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale and Position properties.

With more details from you, we could go step by step in any of the above.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
                      nealeh Level 5

Bill Hunt wrote:

The Pan & Zoom Tool is really a somewhat simplified, and semi-automated Preset. ...

... My subjects are not often in the center of the Image area, so require my personal attention.

You should give the new P&Z tool a try Bill - the version introduced in PRE11 gives you pretty much total control over every aspect of the start, end and as many intermediate pan points, zoom, and motion paths as you want.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 9. Re: Please tell me you can use pan/zoom tool for photo slideshow with photos not cropped to screen?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

On your behest, I will do just that. Heading to Australia for a bit, but upon return, I will give it a go. I have a SlideShow, that I need to produce, and that should be a good test.

Thanks for the nudge,

Hunt