• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to use Search and Index in Safari

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2007 Oct 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had nothing but problems with Robohelp 6 and Safari and now when I thought I'd used all of the workarounds possible, there comes a new issue 😞

When using IE, Firefox, etc. the navigation toolbar works great -- you can search, you can view the index. When you view the generated webhelp in Safari, you get a horrible listing of the Index rather than what you should see. Also the search looks much the same as the Index. It's crucial that any help product we use works on Safari. Right now I feel horrible for selecting RoboHelp as our new help system. Everything in the documentation said it was 100% compatible with Safari.

Anyone else seeing this same issue with Safari and the index/search?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008
This was fixed in RH 7.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of the reasons but that is the normal appearance in Safari, at least it is what I have seen. I think the issue is how Safari handles things rather than what RoboHelp produces.

In looking at other help products before going for RoboHelp, did you download some trial versions of other products and have you checked their output in Safari?

Maybe someone with more knowledge of Safari can comment?

For what it may be worth, only 1.3% of the visitors to my site use Safari so that wouldn't upset me too much. Of course the percentage may be different and more important for you. I suspect Safari users are used to such things.

Right or wrong, IE and Firefox are the biggies.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some searching around and apparently Safari doesn't handle the DHTML and Java Applet that RoboHelp produces, which is why it puts the Index and Search in a plain HTML format. If you generate the help without using a Java Applet or DHTML, you will see the exact same thing in all browsers across the board on Windows as well.

Also... I was wrong, I tested out the help in IE and Firefox on a MAC and the same issue. Any idea why IE and Firefox wouldn't be able to handle the DHTML and Java Applet?

I tested just about every HAT out there, though I didn't have a MAC to test them on and had to rely on their "We work on MACs!" marketing... My boss uses a MAC though and so does her boss. yay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cos it's on a MAC?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully I was granted permission to drop the search and keep the index. It's not beautiful, but it's functional. I know this will be revisited at the next release, so hopefully there will be a fix by then (heh).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This was fixed in RH 7.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp