4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2007 12:05 PM by 1serg1

Is Director MX still one the best apps to create interactive cds?

co1sttrax
      I have been out-of-the-loop for the past few years and would like to get back to creating interactive cds.

Back in the day, when Macs had autoplay functionality, Director was one of the best choices. Is this still the case? From the looks of it, the last release of the application was Director MX 2004. Though this is great from a financial perspective, I wonder is there still a market for interactive cds? Is it worth the time? If so, what is the industry standard?

Your thoughts...
        • 1. Re: Is Director MX still one the best apps to createinteractive cds?
          Level 7
          co1sttrax wrote:

> I have been out-of-the-loop for the past few years and would like to get back
          > to creating interactive cds.
          >
          > Back in the day, when Macs had autoplay functionality, Director was one of the
          > best choices. Is this still the case? From the looks of it, the last release of
          > the application was Director MX 2004. Though this is great from a financial
          > perspective, I wonder is there still a market for interactive cds? Is it worth
          > the time? If so, what is the industry standard?

Hi,

Yes, Director is still the most powerful program to create self executables to run
          off a CD/DVD. However, choosing Director may not be required for particular
          projects. It really depends on what you need to do. If you want to to include a
          range of media types, interface with the OS, Director can accommodate this. If you
          want a DVD video that plays on computers as well as on TVs, Director is not the
          tool for that.

Director MX 2004 hasn't been updated in years. While that may seem positive from
          the point of view that it has enough features to continue without regular updates,
          the truth is that the lack of updates has meant it has been neglected in some areas
          and has fallen behind current technology and expectations. Director 11 is set to be
          released by Adobe and it will support MacIntel and Vista. For most people, this
          wait has been too long. But, I think things are looking up and am optimistic about
          a stronger future for Director under Adobe.

As to whether there is still a market for interactive CDs, I say yes there is. It
          is not as big as the web market. Back when the interactive CD market was at its
          peak, Director was king. Many companies had interactive CDs in a similar way to web
          sites are used now and the majority of those were created . Today, interactive CDs
          are more of a niche area. A big use of these products is training/education so
          learning CDs. I have done quite a bit of marketing CDs/DVDs. These are typically
          minimal interactive or simply non interactive. And these may be primarily video.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Is Director MX still one the best apps to createinteractive cds?
            1serg1 Level 1
            So Director MX2004 doesn't support Intel Macs or Vista?
            • 3. Re: Is Director MX still one the best apps to   createinteractive   cds?
              Level 7
              Neither Intel Macs nor Vista were out in 2004, so... no.

That said, projectors will still run just fine almost all the time. In
              the case of Intel Macs, they are run through Rosetta which is seemless
              to the user, and there is a small slowdown, but nothing too big in my
              experience. The only things I've have problems with on Vista are due to
              Vista's security settings, and if you know how to work around them, then
              no big deal.

Shockwave in a browser has a few issues for both, Macs have the rosetta
              issue (the browser must be run in rosetta, and Vista has some 3d issues
              due to DirectX.)

Those things should be fixed once D11 comes out, according to Adobe.
              • 4. Re: Is Director MX still one the best apps to   createinteractive   cds?
                1serg1 Level 1
                Thanks - I was a bit concerned that I was missing something, being new to Director, since i was able to work with it on my MacIntel. I didn't realize Rosetta was working in the background. Where do I go to get info for Vista workarounds, seeing that I am using Director for a cross-platform interactive cd-rom?