9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2013 5:30 AM by BobLevine

Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?

Mad1na

I have just migrated from a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard to a brand new MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 (pre-installed). I was trying to open some InDesign 5.5 documents but some of them crash immediately without opening. Other documents seem to be opening fine, so far. The only thing in common with these problem files is that I have placed other InDesign documents in them as images/links.

Is this indeed a problem related to .indd links or what could it be? What could I try to do to fix it? Being in creative industry, I've found that being able to place whole InDesign pages as links is very useful for presentation purposes. If I make changes in the source .indd file, all I need to do is update the link in the presentation file.

All help is much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is migration from one computer to another. It doesn't work with Adobe products. Not all the required files get put in the right place.

You'll need to do an uninstall and quite likely run the Adobe Cleaner tool to remove what you've copied from the other computer with the Migration utility. Here's a link to the Adobe Cleaner Tool:

Adobe - Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

Then you'll have to install InDesign (or the Creative Suite) from the original install discs (or from a backup of the original download installer). Sorry, it's really the only reliable way to do it.

• 2. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
            Mad1na Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for a quick reply. So if I originally bought CS3, then upgraded to CS4 and later to CS5, do I have to start the re-installation process all the way from CS3 and go thorugh upgrade process? Just to clarify, I did not set up Cloud yet, and I migrated from a Time Machine backup. The last time I migrated form an older MBP to my last one, everything went just fine. This time it's all fine except for these .indd link containing documents. Is there really no other way? Haven't tried resetting preferences yet. Thanks again

• 3. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You shouldn't need to install the whole chain, as long as you have the media or serial numbers. That said, this doesn't sound like a "migration" using the migration tools, but more a "restoration," which may or may not work since you may not be restoring all the required files deep in the OS. I'd be inclined to do the reinstall just to be sure everything is, indeed porperly installed, but it may not solve the crash.

I've seen crashes similar to what you are reporting with linked ID files, and the cause was trying to use a linked file from a newer version in an older version. That sounds confusing, so here's the scenario for setting up the situation:

Creat a file and place into a second file as a link.  Export the files to .idml so they can be opened in an earlier version. Try to open the .idml from the second file in an earlier version and it will crash. The reason it crashes is that the link to the first file is still to the original version file, not to the.idml file you exported, and the older version of ID simply cannot parse it. If you have the .idml from the linked file and open that in the older version first, and resave overwriting the newer version, it will probably work, at the cost of losing the original.

Other options would be to reinstall the newer version, or to recreate the "container" file in the older version using older version conversions with new names made from exported .idml files of the linked files.

• 4. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                Mad1na Level 1

Well the version compatibility should not be an issue since I've created the ID links with the same version I did the presentation documents with. But if all else fails, I will reinstall. At the moment doing some trials. Saving the presentation files as idml in 10.6.8 and going to try to reopen them in 10.8.3.!

• 5. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                  Mad1na Level 1

Well I was trying to open the idml file and it was looking very promising. It scanned all the linked files on the screen, as it does when it's opening the file, but then at the end before openign the document it crashed again I wonder if it has something to do with suitcase auto-activation or something?

• 6. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                    Mad1na Level 1

Ok, this could be the problem. According to Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3 is not compatible with Mountain Lion. But I have to wonder why the auto-activation seems to work and I can open most of the files just fine (apart from those indd link files).

• 7. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Mad1na wrote:

Ok, this could be the problem. According to Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3 is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

Bingo.

Suitcase Auto-activation can be very wonky.

• 8. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                        Mad1na Level 1

Yeehaa! Just upgraded to SF5 and now I can open the problem files. I wonder what will be the next incompatibility issue... Thanks for your support, Peter! I can go to sleep now, it's just past midnight. Zzzzzz

• 9. Re: Some InDesign files crash in 10.8.3 - due to .indd links?
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Anything older than CS6 on Mountain Lion is going to be questionable.