20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2013 1:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem with imported mpg webcam videos

AbstractDos45

So in my Adobe Premiere Elements 11, I had no problem importing webcam videos. Now suddenly, they won't import right. What happens is that the videos are cut down by about 3 minutes, yet the audio starts from the beginning of the full recording. The problem lies with PE11, because when I play the mpg in my files with media player, it is the proper length and audio.

I already unistalled that problematic windows update that has been plaguing other people with the half blacked out videos.

So now I'm really confused

I'm on Win 7 64 bit btw

HELP

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please post file details - A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
            A.T. Romano Level 7

AbstractDos45

I realize that this is a "it worked before but not now" type problem, but let us get some baseline information

1. You have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. What are you or the program setting as the project preset for the specific project that has the issue?

2. What are the properties of these videos that have the problem, such as, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, file extension, and duration?

3. Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

4. What is in the place of the missing 3 minutes of video? Where is the video missing from...beginning, middle, end, other?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
              AbstractDos45 Level 1

Adobehelp.png

So as you can see, the file view from my computer shows the real length of the video (15:54), and on the left you can see the length when imported (12:56). You can even notice that although they are the same video, the thumbnail is different, showing a difference in video content

• 4. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But, that is not what I asked... use the free software I link for file details, not just the summary from PreElements

• 5. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                  AbstractDos45 Level 1

1. The project settings are the same default settings. I havent changed them since installing PE11.

2. Type of file: Movie Clip (mpg)

Size: 184 MB (193,200,128 bytes)

320 x 240

Framerate: 29 fps

Length: 00:15:54

3. Nvidia GeForce 260M is up to date with latest driver version 320.49

4. So the deal is that the video begins basically at the 2min 58 Second mark, but the audio begins properly at the start. So by the end of the 12:56, the video is at the ending of what should be 15:54, and the audio stops at what would be 12:56 in the correct version of the video

• 9. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AbstractDos45

Thanks for the follow up. My problem is that you say what you are describing has worked for you before. So, please hear me out.

1. You have low resolution .mpg video from webcam. Still not clear about the video compression, but let us put that aside for the moment.

There is no project preset for 320 x 240 4:3 @ 29.97/30 frame per second in Premiere Elements.

2. If you are using the default for Premiere Elements 11, that means, NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 which is 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. When you drag your video (whatever the first drag to Timeline is), the program takes over setting a project preset that matches the properties of your video. If it cannot, I find that it defaults to its 1080i30. If you have checked Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode/Timebase/Frame size and confirmed the project setting to be 1080i30, then you need to set the project preset manually before you import your webcam video into the project. To do that File Menu/New/Project, making sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project. And, the Project Setting, I suggest NTSC DV Standard 4:3.

But, I can take a 320 x 240 .wmv into Premiere Elements 11, get that 1080i30 auto set, and, if I look at the before and after import video duration readout the difference is something line 12 seconds (before)versus 12 seconds and 7 frames (after)

3. At this point, please determine if any of the above resolved the issue of the missing video portion. Is this the first of your webcam videos that is 4:3 instead of 16:9?

4. Skipping ahead for a moment, what is your intended export for this webcam video that is involved here.

We will be watching for your results, further webcam video properties data.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AdstractDos45

I have taken this a step further in that I have created an MPEG2.mpg file with MP2 audio which is intended to simulate your video source. The duration of the file before and after import into Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit is the same.

So far I have not found anything that replicates what you have with regard to the 3 minute difference before and after import of your web cam video into Premiere Elements.

I will think about this some more.

Thanks for the information that you have supplied.

ATR

Add On...Have you said how you are getting this 4:3 video into Premiere Elements 11...Add Media/Files and Folder/ and then into Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline?

• 11. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                        AbstractDos45 Level 1

So I tried what you suggested with no luck, regardless of the setting, it still cuts down the video.

I feel like a little background information might help narrow it down.

First, I should say that I have several webcam videos of the same format, similar length, all recorded with same cam and software, and they all encounter the problem the first one did.

Second, these webcams videos are the first I have done with a new webcam Logitech HD Webcam C270 + software (Manycam) - I came to the conclusion that it is a problem with PE11 because I can play the videos completely fine in several media players I have. I previously recorded and imported videos into PE11 with the standard pinhole webcam in my computer (Alienware M15x) with no problems until the "half black" problem caused by the windows update.

And before I had problems, I used these webcams for reaction videos, so I used PIP and put them in a corner of another higher quality video. I exported them in MPEG as HDTV 1080P 29.97 High Quality, and that was with an even lower resolution webcam - they worked fine.

Btw - thank you for your quick responses

• 12. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                          AbstractDos45 Level 1

On the method of import, that is correct, I add media to the project assets by search through files, then drag to timeline. They show the difference in time as soon as they are imported to the Project Assets

• 13. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AdstractDos45

I have an idea. It is going to be major advance in understanding the issue or a major dud. Let us see.

The MediaInfo properties read out is showing the frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Take your web cam video, import it into Premiere Elements 11, next right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, and then select Interpret Footage. What does the Interpret Footage Frame Rate section show for "Use Frame Rate From File"...29.97 or something else?

I am heading online to see if I can figure out how the webcam sensor records the video and captures it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                              AbstractDos45 Level 1

Just did it and it does indeed say Use Frame Rate From File :29.97

• 15. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

AbstractDocs45

So much for that idea. Thanks for looking at it.

From a comparative playback of the before and after Premiere Elements import, can you tell specifically what 3 min portion is missing?

Does the audio content that you hear stop at the moment the last video scene ends?

With the shorter duration (by 3 minutes) of the imported video in Premiere Elements, do you see any evidence of a fast motion effect to the playback in the Edit Mode Monitor? Or is this a straight forward, where is the rest (the conclusion) of the video?

We could get the following out of the way...deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then try deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which it exists.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path. This particular technique is often successful for issue that defy explanation.

ATR

• 16. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                  AbstractDos45 Level 1

Whats missing:   Original Video length is 15:54

When imported to PE11 it is : 12:56

Audio of Imported Film starts just as the original video does, but ends before it should at the 12:56 mark

Video of Imported Film starts roughly three minutes after normal start (aka ~3 min into original 15:54 video) - video ends where the original ends

So in short -           Audio starts correct, ends short

Video starts late (~3 min) but ends at the correct point

Just followed the instruction for deleting the Prefs file, followed path, deleted entire 11.0 folder, restarted PE11,  problem is still there.

• 17. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                    AbstractDos45 Level 1

Just to further narrow it down, I imported the file into Windows Live Movie Maker for comparison, and it imported fine (appropriate length, audio/video ect)

Add On: I recorded another clip (same cam and software, but instead forced it to a 1920x1080 size, and again it was reduced in length in PE11

• 18. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AdstractDos45

At this point, I am thinking file conversion. It could be that Premiere Elements cannot conform that audio and or video to the program's specifications? Guessing.

What else besides MPEG2.mpg with MP2 audio can you use for the webcam video from the webcam?

ATR

• 19. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                        AbstractDos45 Level 1

That did it. For whatever reason, when I converted the file to a WMV, it worked fine.

One last thing, do you know of a free video converter that won't watermark my files?

Thank you for all your help and fast responses

• 20. Re: Problem with imported mpg webcam videos
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AdstractDos45

Applauding your success. Great, great news.

Please take a look at the following online article on free video converters.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/tp/free-video-converter.htm

Thanks for the follow up. Continued success.

ATR