8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 4:03 PM by Steven L. Gotz

How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?

Geronimosan Level 1

I have upgraded to CC on my home machine, but filmmakers that I work with have decided to continue using CS6. I have put together a rough cut of a recently shot film in my PPro CC program - how do my colleagues open this project in their PPro CS6 program so they can continue the work?

I'm assuming this is possible since Adobe is officially continuing support of both CS6 and CC versions of PPro.

• 1. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

That is in invalid assumption.

As far as I can tell, opening a later version file in an earlier version software has never been supported. Not officially anyway.

Since it is a rough cut, try exporting it to an FCP XML file and then import that into CS6. It should get you part of the way there. I just tried it and there were some issues with the motion and the audio levels. But a rough cut might make it through OK.

• 2. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
            Geronimosan Level 1

It is a very valid assumption. Adobe has created a world in which their customers are heavily split between the CS6 version and the CC version of their products. This means that in order for continued seamless collaboration between project personel to occur, project files created in one version need to be readable and usable in the opposite version.

If this doesn't get fixed, then that means all CC subscribers who collaborate with CS6 users will be forced to also purchase and install CS6 versions of the same software, and to work on collaborative efforts entirely in the CS6 versions.

And if I, as a CC subscriber, am having to do all of my work in the CS6 versions of the products, then subscribing to the CC versions of the products is a waste of money for me.

Either Adobe fix this, or CC subscribers who collaborate with CS6 users such as myself will simply cancel the CC subscriptions and revert back to CS6.

Thank you for your thoughts on exporting to FCP XML - that isn't going to work for my needs.

• 3. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere has never been official downwards compatible.

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 version of the application:

• Photoshop
              • InDesign®
              • Illustrator
              • Flash® Professional
              • Dreamweaver®

For Premiere Pro CC file a feature request.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 4. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
                Geronimosan Level 1

Thank you for your input.

I wasn't questioning the history of application compatibility.

I'm not concerned with applications other than Premiere Pro, hence the post in the Premiere Pro forum.

I appreciate the link, but I'm not going to continue paying for a CC subscription with the hopes that some day Adobe implements such as fix. I'll simply cancel my CC subscription and revert back to CS6.

• 5. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
                  shooternz Level 6

Doing this project with your collaborators in a version you all use... is a logical and seemingly obvious solution. ie. 'project planning 101'.

What you call a "fix" for your issue, (backwardly compatible)  is  unlikely to ever happen IMHO.

Everyone want latest versions to upgrade with new features... so accomodating those backwardly is like seeing into the future.

FWIW - cross machine collaborating is never that easy ...but why was an XML or EDL "solution" not viable for you?

• 6. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

It is an invalid assumption that Adobe will do that. It is certainly a valid concern, and a need for some people. However, it has never been possible. So, assuming that it ever will be is not logical.

You can put in a feature request.

• 7. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

all CC subscribers who collaborate with CS6 users will be forced to also purchase and install CS6 versions

There is another (and in my view, preferable) solution.

Everyone update to Premiere Pro CC.  It's really is a better editing experience than CS6.

• 8. Re: How to open PPro CC project in PPro CS6?
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                        ...all CC subscribers who collaborate with CS6 users will be forced to also purchase and install CS6 versions of the same software, and to work on collaborative efforts entirely in the CS6 versions.

The CS6 versions are free to CC subscribers through a simple download.

It doesn't solve the problem, but it is the ultimate solution at this point in time.

1 person found this helpful