22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 8:24 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?

waterworshipper

My WMV files appear like a black shade was pulled half way down over them. Some one in Premiere discussion suggested I "roll back' my computer because this is a result of MS updates. If I go back to a system restore point (I assume that's what they meant} will I lose the nearly 90 hours I vested in the marketing movie I am currectly creating? Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

What I am doing is going to Windows Updates and uninstalling the specific kb involved.

See announcement...

for Windows XP,,,kb2834904

for Windows 7...kb2803821

BUT, I took care of this the other day and found this morning that the problem is back again. So, I sought out the kb2803821 (for Windows 7 64 bit) and deleted it again. Now everything is back to normal.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
            waterworshipper Level 1

Thank you I am a little slow I have a handicap so please do not use technical terms please.

Go to windows website? or somewhere on my computer?

Look for windows updates?

I have windows 7 64 bit

Search for this particular KB 2803821 (what does KB stand for)  

Sorry I had serious brain concussion things are coming back slowly but my memories are fragmented. I relearning how to use my computer and the Elements 9.

I don't have anyone here to ask for help. I have been researching what kb stands for? Probably spent 7 hours looking sorry.

Step by step would more helpful please thank you. I know your sorry you even answered now sorry.

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Email Me At: krvguideservice@yahoo.com Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service

Professional Full-Time Guide & Senior Tackle Design Research & Development Engineer/Midwest Division of www.jerrysflies.com

Check out my web site at http://www.kankakeerivervalleyguideservice.com

Find My Video's on youtube Start by Typing "Kankakee River Valley"   

http://www.youtube.com/

• 3. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

1. Click on the Start Button

2. Immediately above the Start Button is a field which says in light text "Search Programs and Files". Click there and type Windows Update.

3. Look to the top of that left column, and click on the line that says "view installed Updates". Please refer to screenshot.

WindowsUpdates.jpg

After you click on "view installed updates", the Installed Updates page will appear.

Now the rest of this gets complicated only in that you have to go through a lot of file names in the Installed Updates page to find the kb that you want.

If you have Windows XP then the number that you want to find and delete is kb2834904

If you have Windows 7 then the number that you want to find and delete is kb2803821

Since there are a lot of files on that page, look to those with a date in July 2013.

When you find the kb file that you want, right click it, and click on the uninstall pop up.

Please let us know if the above helped. If not, how can it be improved to help you.

Also, I would suggest that it is not a good idea to include your telephone number when posting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                waterworshipper Level 1

Thank you so much I will do that

now thank you.

Thank You,

Captain Bob Santangelo

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Senior Tackle Design R & D Engineer MidWest Division of www.jerrysflies.com/

Professional Full Time Register State Guide/Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service Email Bob at

krvguideservice@yahoo.com

Watch my Videos on YouTube

Kankakeerivervalleyguideservice.com

Sent from my iPhone4

• 5. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                  nealeh Level 5

Bob,

I put some instructions and screenshots in Replies 17 & 18 of this forum discussion:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1252950?tstart=0

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 6. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

I forgot to mention...you asked "What does the kb in the Windows Update file stand for?"

From what I have read, that kb stands for "knowbase".

Please let us know how you do finding and deleting the kb that needs deleting. There is another route to it other than the one I described. You should get to the same place if you went:

Control Panel

Programs

Programs and Features

and then

Installed Updates

But let us see how you do with the route that I have described.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                      waterworshipper Level 1

Thank You Mr. Romano Grazie Signore, 

That worked Great you just don't know how much you helped me! Once I executed your instructions what you can not see is your instructions open a window in my memories pathways and things came familiar once again on this area of my computer. A lot of things remain foggy to me but thanks to people like you everyday

it gets better. If you believe in karma good deeds will come back to you ten fold !

Thanks about the phone number I don't realize the most obvious of things appreciate your help by mentioning it.  

• 8. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                        waterworshipper Level 1

Thank you very much that help me out more then you know!

Bob

• 9. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

Great news.

We wish you well with all.

Please never hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Best regards.

ATR

• 11. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                            waterworshipper Level 1

Mr. Romano,

Question so that Microsoft update was once again reinstalled kb2803821 over night is there some thing I did wrong

or how can I avoid that Please? I just uninstalled it again but will this happen everyday? I hate to turn off automatic updates would you agree?

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Email Me At: krvguideservice@yahoo.com Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service

Professional Full-Time Guide & Senior Tackle Design Research & Development Engineer/Midwest Division of www.jerrysflies.com

• 12. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                              nealeh Level 5

If you follow the link in reply 5 I have posted screenshots explaining how to 'hide' the problem update so it won't keep reinstalling. If when you try to hide the update you can't see it look further down in that discussion and I show a screenshot explaining how to bring it back, so that you can hide it.

Personally I've never had previous problems with allowing Windows to automatically update. But until they resolve this particular issue I've both hidden the update AND changed my update settings to 'download updates but let me choose whether to install them'.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 13. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

Here is what I have done in my situation...Windows 7 64 bit...

Start Button

In "Search Program and Files" field, type Windows Updates

forums-1.jpg

Click on Windows Updates at the top of that left column to open the following where you click on Change settings.

Forums2.JPG

After clicking on Change settings, you should see the following

Forums3.JPG

Here is where you set for "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them." Do you have that set that way?

I do, but with this kb, I am not getting the notification that this update has been downloaded. And, if I go to the area where the download updates are supposed to be sitting there awaiting my approval, the kb is not there. Yet this kb managed to get downloaded and installed. But your experience may be different. So let us know if you succeed and the kb is really gone after following all the suggestions.

Once you catch the kb in the area shown in the first of the above screenshots, then you can use Nealeh's suggestion to

a. click on Important update text in that area

b. look for the kb in the list that opens

c. right click the specific kb, and select Hide.

Hope that this helps to get the 1/2 wmv display and kb problem really gone for us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                  waterworshipper Level 1

Thanks You sir I will attempt that when I get

back to my desk top late today.

Thank You,

Captain Bob Santangelo

708-261-6759

Licensed United States Coast Guard Captain/Senior Tackle Design R & D Engineer MidWest Division of www.jerrysflies.com/

Professional Full Time Register State Guide/Owner Kankakee River Valley Guide Service Email Bob at

krvguideservice@yahoo.com

Watch my Videos on YouTube

Kankakeerivervalleyguideservice.com

Sent from my iPhone4

• 15. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                    waterworshipper Level 1

ATR,

Management of all the Adobe Elements 9 videos, video clips, and photo's over the years do you allow them to keep accumulating? I keep mine on my desk top but also backed them up on a mobile external hard drive. If it was you, would you then delete them off of the desk top to make space? Disadvantage is you won't have immediate access to clips and photos you could use parts or of all of for future marketing videos? My concern is even though I still have 4 MB of memory left on my computer it will slow down and take up memory space? Suggestions how and what you would do as far as letting them accumulate?

I did what you said I now can choose the updates as they come in. Lets see what happens tomorrow when I get my over night up dates but I followed your instructions. I will let you know.

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

• 16. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

I would definitely get those files off the desktop but do not do that until you evaluate your situation.

The core of the matter goes to the fact that, unless you want major missing media problems, you do not move the source media that went into the project after you save close the project. Otherwise, when you go to re-open that project, you will be hit with missing media messages or the project may just not open at all.

What I suggest that you do is, open these old projects (presumed to have no missing media messages) and save the project via File Menu/Project Archiver and the Copy Project option. That will save the project file (project.prel) as well as copies of the media that was imported (used or unused) in a folder named Copied.... You can store that folder anywhere you want...on disc, external hard drive (formatted NTFS)...anywhere off your Local Disk C. If you ever want to open the project again, open that folder, right click the project.prel file, and select Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

The above link addresses the current version Premiere Elements 11, but the principles can easily be applied to your version 9.0/9.0.1.

Providing that each of the Project Archived projects has copies of its media with it in the Copied Folder, then you should be able to delete as you want. But I would go through each of the files on the desktop to determine it need and relationship to other files and projects.

I would ask, "At this time, what are these 9.0/9.0.1 projects on the desktop recognizing as the home for the originals source media? The Local Disk C or that mobile external hard drive?

Without further details, the safest thing to do might be:

a. Open the projects that you want to keep. Use the Project Archiver/Copy option to get the Copied Folder. For each.

b. Any files that you have on the desktop can be dealt with as you want if they were never used in a Premiere Elements project. And, an external hard drive such as you describe would be indicated for their storage.

You want to keep the Local Disk C as cleaned up and cleared out as possible.

More later.

ATR

• 17. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

Regarding the matter of the 1/2 wmv display....my problems with the matter of the kb getting installed without my permission has been written about in several of the threads.

oldevhs has posted with a suggestion for me that I will share with you in this thread in case you have not seen the discussion in posts 4 and 5 of the following thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5507378#5507378

Essentially, oldevhs suggests that I would be safer using the setting of

"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

instead of

"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them."

(See post #13 in the thread that we are in now)

I am not completely convinced that the subtle difference between the two is applicable to my situation, but I am willing to consider it as a possiblility.

ATR

• 18. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                          ScubadaveNJ Level 1

Similar issue here.  I have updates set up as "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" and Win7 installed kb2803821 anyhow.  Now I'm deleting it for the third time in a week, but going to follow instructions someone left on this topic to permanently not install that particular update.

• 19. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ScubadaveNJ

So far I have been OK (no 1/2 wmv display Premiere Elements issue)

a. Using the option requiring notifiation and my permission before download AND install of the Windows Updates (according to oldevhs suggestion)

b. If that kb shows up in the downloads somehow, then right click the kb and select Hide. (according to Nealeh suggestion)

Please let us know if the issue is then permanently gone for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                              waterworshipper Level 1

Worked great no more problems thank! Now this morning different problem altogether. Video viewing screen not keeping pace with timeline in fact the viewing screen is frozen while the voice and time line runs fine. Received an error message to up date Adobe display driver detail Intel (R) HD Graphic

2000- 3.00 built 9.17.10.29.32 I went to my computer manufacture web site and updated and Intels website site and updated drivers restarted still the same problem.

No new windows updates since I took your advice to manually review the updates first. Only one present is a bing up date which I don't use.

Question suddenly I am getting a error message Driver Manager is not working. I went to control panel and attempted to repair the problem but windows was unable to access the server so it told me to try again later?

• 21. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                                waterworshipper Level 1

Got it worked great thank you

Thanks for Your Support,

Captain Bob Santangelo,

708-261-6759

• 22. Re: Elements 9 Will I lose Everything Rolling Back to a System Restore Point?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

waterworshipper

I just saw your new thread on the video card message and have placed my reply in that new thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1258246?tstart=0

Please check it out there.

The bottom line is deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file which worked for me under conditions similar to yours a few years ago with Premiere Elements 9.

Also, for general well being, please make sure that you are running version 9 as the 9.0.1 update.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR