10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 8:01 AM by Jon Fritz II

Refresh problems

More2Do Level 1

I created a HTML5/CSS3 Home page using DW6. There is a problem on refresh in IE10, Chrome and iPad when clicking on linked buttons such as the Logo (Home) button or the Updates button. Although the Updates button is not yet linked to a page, the Logo button is linked to the index page. In either case, the Home page does not refresh correctly when clicking in rapid succession on these buttons. It seems to have problems reloading the page. Sorry, I can't explain it any better than this.

Please see page at:

http://www.legacyptla.com/Stage/index.html

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Refresh problems
          Ken Binney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More2Do wrote:

the Home page does not refresh correctly

What is happening?

when clicking in rapid succession on these buttons. It seems to have problems 

Why are we "clicking in rapid succession"?

Refreshing/reloading suggests an additional roundtrip to the server rather than simply simply displaying the page from local cache.  Would you please explain why Is this important

• 2. Re: Refresh problems
            More2Do Level 1

I guess I didn't explain myself well...It's difficult to explain. If you go to the site in question, click on the logo button in the masthead ( it doesn't have to be in rapid succession) several times,  you'll see the footer jump to the top of the page, then rest of the page content comes in. On other sites I've built, there may be just a slight flicker. It's almost like the page is taking too long to load.

• 3. Re: Refresh problems

Sorry my friend, I have a fast connection (50mbs) download connection on a 10year old computer with only 1Gb RAM and a 2.35 Gh CPU, and even with those large banner images, your page loads in proper sequence in Firefox

• 4. Re: Refresh problems
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have any problems either in FF22 or IE9. 

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: Refresh problems
                  More2Do Level 1

I don't think the banner images are the issue. I've used this fadeslide show in other sites without problems. The main difference between this site and previous sites is that this one's built with HTML5/CSS3. IE10 and the iPad are the worst offenders. I think it's a code problem. I've ruled out the server. Any guesses as to what this could be?

• 6. Re: Refresh problems

Sorry, I don't have E10, Chrome or iPad

• 7. Re: Refresh problems
                      More2Do Level 1

Thanks for your efforts

• 8. Re: Refresh problems
                        Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not seeing what you describe in any of my browsers (IE, FF, Chrome, Safari or Opera) in Windows 7.

Does the iPad still do it while attached to a different network from the Desktop machine(s)?

• 9. Re: Refresh problems
                          More2Do Level 1

Thanks, Jon. Would you mind trying the link again in IE?  (Experimenting last night, I changed the header background from transparent to #FFF in order to "mask" the footer showing in the header--I just changed the background color back to transparent). It happens only for a millisecond when you click on the logo button multiple times and it can be random.

In Safari 5, the button's alt tag appears for just a millisecond. Strange!

The iPad shows the same problem as in IE.

It does function correctly in FF22 (mac).

I pointed the "Investment Portfolio" link (down in the main content area) to the index.html page and it gives the same result as the button. So, I've ruled out the logo button as being suspect. I've ruled out the server as a problem by testing on two differnt ones. I've ruled out the network by testing on two different ones.

Any thoughts?

• 10. Re: Refresh problems
                            Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No issues in IE10 or IE9 mode.

IE8 mode shows some reflow when the pages reload. It is likely caused by the position of the script that adds the image into the slideshow. Since display elements are loading before the script

I would try moving...

<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/fadeslideshow.js">

to just before the closing </head> tag or to just after your opening <body> tag to see if that makes a difference for you.

In all honesty, the "loading layout" likely will never matter to your viewers though.