9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 7:05 AM by treehorne

Simplest way to make Motion Title Template

treehorne Level 1

I'm transitioning from FCP/Suite to Adobe Suite and am ironing out the 'why doesn't X work' frustrations one by one pretty successfully...except for when it comes to Titles.

For one of my clients, I have created a rather basic lower third template so I can quickly do multiple titles for segments that contain 5-12 interviews. Basically it's a short 6 second Quicktime lower third animated movie with text fading in/out. Very basic. Very easy to create in both Motion and After Effects. And in Motion/FCP I could save it as a template and then use it repeatedly (even copy and paste it within a sequence to save time).

I am having a devil of a time doing something similar in Premiere Pro. Through various readings on the forum I've learned that the Title function in PP is limited to stills. I've read suggestions to create a mini-project and import it (and the sequence) into whatever new project I'm creating.

Problem I keep coming across is that no matter what I do, I can only create one title this way as any secondary copy references the original and any change to one, changes them all (changing the name, for example).

So far the only thing that seems to work is creating individual titles in After Effects (changing the name/title) and saving them individually and importing them individually into PP. Which is very time consuming.

As I want to have the text fade in and out, creating a template for the text doesn't really do any good as I have to apply fade in/out at the appropriate spots.

Honestly, this is the major reason I have not fully commited to Premier Pro as I do too much of this kind of work and it takes a lot longer in PP than in FCP to do titles effectively.

• 1. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

First of all, I use After Effects to create motion in my lower thirds, but it you just want to set up the motion part in Ae and then change the text in Premiere Pro, that is easy enough. You are just missing a step.

You didn't say which version of Premiere Pro you are using. There are significant changes regarding this topic in CC.

In CS6, you just need to open a title that you want to copy, and before you change anything, select the "New Title Based on Current Title" button in the upper left of the title window.

Capture.PNG

In Premiere Pro CC (latest upgrade required) you can just use the instructions found here to duplicate the title so a new title will be created for you automatically. Much easier.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new-premiere-pro-cc.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only thing that you can do is open the title in the Titler and make a new one by hitting New Title based on Current Title.

• 3. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CC is indead much easier, just alt drag in the timeline and change the text in the titler. Original title does not get changed.

• 4. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                treehorne Level 1

I'm using CC.

But that really isn't a solution. Or rather isn't much of one in terms of time-saving.

The title starts after the motion graphic as there's a lag before the bars 'resolve.'  Ideally I need to copy/paste both the motion graphic and the text/title, paste it where I want the next one to be, change the name/title on the new one, repeat as needed. Doing so however makes a copy that is referencing the original instead of duplicating (so changing the name changes it on all clips).  And using the "New Title" function you describe creates a title that I still have to position correctly and add fade in/outs...which when one has a dozen of these suckers to do (and is a client that one does up to a dozen of these a week...for a set price vs. hourly)...is not ideal (especially when in Final Cut Pro I can whip these out as a template in 1/5 of the time)

• 5. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                  treehorne Level 1

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

That works. For some odd reason using ALT makes a copy that is independent versus one that references the original (and keeps everything, including transitions, in place).

While still not 100% ideal as I still have to create it in each sequence (or copy and paste it from another project), which is still a bit eye-rolling (for a company that is the driving force behind so much in the field of motion graphics and its utilization in video...not being able to create a motion graphic template is baffling), it at least cuts down the time to a managable level

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Wait just a moment. Not that I care about the points, but I carefully posted the link with the CC instructions that you are now happy with, and Ann gets the "Correct"?????

She has plenty of points already!!!!

• 7. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                      treehorne Level 1

Sorry...I didn't realize A) this was a competition and B) quite honestly that your link had the same information (at first inspection your answer seemed to be strictly "new Title based on current title" and hers was about the alt/drag option)

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa

• 8. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Sorry, I have been spending too much time in the lounge where silly is fairly common.

That was more a poke at Ann than at you. She is en extremely helpful and extremely knowledgeable person, who helps people on a daily basis around here.

She gets at least a "Was this helpful" set to yes on about one out of every five posts. That is quite high. I was just being a bit silly, expressing jealousy where there really wasn't any.

I didn't mean to criticize you in any way. You don't spend a lot of time posting on the forums so if you miss part of a post, it really isn't critical, as long as you eventually get the answer you were looking for.

• 9. Re: Simplest way to make Motion Title Template
                          treehorne Level 1

Here's an interesting oddity... After uninstalling the CS6 programs (including Premiere Pro) I lost all plugins, templates, transitions, etc (including the default Adobe ones) in Premiere Pro CC. And Alt/Drag got disabled so it only made a copy, not an independent duplicate. Had to uninstall Premiere Pro CC and reinstall it (which wasn't that easy either as the Creative Cloud Desktop app kept saying it was up to date and wouldn't install it...had to restart the computer for it to recognize it was truly gone).  Once I re-installed it, all my plugins were recognized again and Alt/Drag worked again.

Ah the joys of computer bugs (on the plus side, CC works much better on my ancient Mac Pro).