4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2013 4:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Playlists not showing up in Premier

Keasey2828 Level 1

When shooting video I can look at the disk and see my playlists.  However when I import them onto my computer the playlist is one big file.  Same thing when importing into premier.  Any advice?

• 1. Re: Playlists not showing up in Premier
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Keasey2828

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of your source media? Are you ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or something else?

What type of a file is this playlist? Does it have a file extension that is supported by Premiere Elements? Are these txt files? Or are you talking about chapters that you have on a DVD? So, then really several video files from the DVD-VIDEO format?

ATR

• 2. Re: Playlists not showing up in Premier
            Keasey2828 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 and not at all familiar with it.  Just been watching lots of tutorials.  I have Windows 7 (64bit).  I have a Sony Handycam DVD/DVR and ripping VOBs, although lots of garbage files are also showing up.  When viewing the disk in the camrecorder I can view the chapters, but when imported into Windows they show up as stated above.  I hope this helps answer your question.  I have over an hour of video and 80+ chapters on the DVD so this is a major problem.  I'm importing the files into Windows first and then importing them into Elements, although I've tried both ways.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Playlists not showing up in Premier
              nealeh Level 5

When you import video to PRE that is what it does - bring in the media file. It doesn't bring in chapter markers. Even if it did the most recent versions of PRE only support 25 chapters anyway.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 4. Re: Playlists not showing up in Premier
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Keasey2828

Thanks for the follow up and the helpful information to help us to try to sort out Premiere Elements details for your project..

When you have your video on DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format (as you seem to have from your camera), you will notice that there is a defined folder files structure for that format which is independant of the video editor.

The video files of the format are in the VIDEO_TS Folder on the disc. And the files that will be your source media (video files) typically start with VTS_01_1.VOB and generate from there into a given sequence depending on how much video content you have. The disc content for menus and such is not going to help you in your Premiere Elements project. They are in separate VOB files. You create new menus in the Movie Menu section of Premiere Elements once you have established you Timeline for your export choice. You are not to be able to use your menu VOBs for menus in the Premiere Elements project.

All that being said..what do you have - NTSC or PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen?

Please give this suggestion a look and see if any of it works for you.

1. Insert your DVD disc into the burner tray. Open Premiere Elements 11, set the project preset yourself  with File Menu/New/Project for NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard or DV Widescreen.

2. Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer. Depending on just how much you have, decide how many VOBs representing your video you want to take into Premiere Elements at one time.

3. After you hit Get Media in the Video Importer (with the Timeline option selected), you will find your VOBs on the Premiere Elements Timeline as well as in Project Assets.

a. You might consider just saving them to the hard drive at this time and bringing them into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders. That will put them in Project Assets without putting them on the Timeline.

4. Here is where I am going on that. With just the files in Project Assets and a clean Timeline, double click on a file in Project Assets to open the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points. And, there trim the video into smaller scenes and sections. Please check out my blog post which includes techniques for such an endeavor.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please review the above. If you feel that the information in going in the right direction for you, we can fine tune any aspect of it further if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR