10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 6:12 AM by Nandton RSS

Purge Cache

naturesbestside Community Member

Every time I start up Adobe Bridge, I get an error message which reads, "Bridge encountered a problem and its unable to read the cache. Please try purging the central cache in Cache Preferences to correct."

I then go into Adobe Bridge Preferences > Cache > Manage > Purge Cache. After clicking on Purge Cache, I continue to have the same error message after restarting my computer and opening up Adobe Bridge. In addition,

my thumbnails continue to load up slowly.

What do you think the problem is?

• 1. Re: Purge Cache
          Nandton

Sorry, can't help, but would love to have the answer!

• 2. Re: Purge Cache
            Omke Oudeman Community Member

What do you think the problem is?

A corrupted cache folder. Quickest solution is to Quit Bridge and delete the content of the whole Bridge Cache folder manual.

Not clear what system you are using neither what version of Bridge and OS. I only know the path for a Mac, Windows might be similar.

Go to the user library (per MacOsX 7 hidden by default, in Finder use menu Go with option to reveal).

Here is the path:

User (your username)/Library/Caches/Adobe/BridgeCSxx/ - Inhere are two files, a plug in cache and a folder called cache.

Drag both items outside the library, preferable to the trash.

Restart Bridge (both deleted items will be recreated and fresh but empty) and try again.

• 3. Re: Purge Cache

Omke,

Thanx a bunch for the correct answer!

Your instructions were clear as my system is MacOsX10.6.8.

I'm riding smooth and I once again thank you for getting me running smoothly again!!

Jim Alsop,

naturesbestside.com

• 4. Re: Purge Cache

naturesbestside.com

Hi Jim, glad it worked for you.

Very nice pictures on your website!!

• 5. Re: Purge Cache
                  Nandton Community Member

Thanks so much. Strangely (with 10.8.4), this is still a problem....and Bridge does not appear to have recreated the cache folder!? But ti be honest the problem is irritating rather than problematic. Thanks for being here and for your very prompt response.

Tony

www.tonynandi.photoshelter.com

• 6. Re: Purge Cache

Tony,

Your pictures are incredibly cool !!

Jim....

I would be honored if you looked at my website.

www.naturesbestside.com

• 7. Re: Purge Cache
                      Nandton Community Member

Thank you. Yours too Jim - right up my street. For me the theatre stuff is a passion, but also work. I try hard to carry on taking landscape for fun rather than work, but it is difficult. To be honest I miss using my Rollei, but practicalities make that difficult today.

All the best

Tony

• 8. Re: Purge Cache

Strangely (with 10.8.4), this is still a problem....and Bridge does not appear to have recreated the cache folder!?

Tony

In Bridge preferences Cache tab you can check where the Cache folder is saved to. By default it should be in the user Library caches folder but if you have chosen an other location then it should be there. When you have a custom location it might be you have two cache files but I don't know that, never used the custom location myself.

Also try to reset preferences (hold down option key while restarting Bridge and choose reset preferences).

• 9. Re: Purge Cache

Tony,

Your pictures are incredibly cool !!

Jim....

I'll second that !!

• 10. Re: Purge Cache
                            Nandton Community Member

Thanks Omke, resetting the prefs has gone it. I used to be an Adobe Ace, but long failed to keep up with changes when the photography came to dominate. So pleased to know this tip.

Thanks also for comments re the pics. I'll never be rich in this area, but enjoy it enormously! I have at least just signed to write a book on stage photography, which won't make me rich again but is cool.

All the best and thanks again,

TRony