2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 6:57 AM by Curt Y

Photoshop CS6 crashing when trying to open TIFF and JPEG images

alysta Level 1

Hi

This problem started two days ago (13th July).

I was trying to open an image that had already been processed by me in CS6 on this laptop.

When i select the image that i want to open CS6 launches but then i recieve an error message saying that CS6 is unable to open the image.

Frustatlingly this does not happen with every image.

One person has said to reinstall the software but i downloaded it from the Adobe site and don't wnt to end up paying twice.

System info

Processor Intel(R)Core(TM)i3-2350M @2.30Hz 2.30GHz

Installed memory Ram 8.00 (7.89 usable)

System type 64 bit

Plug ins

Alien Skin - Exposure 4

Anthropics -Portrait Proffesional

Help !!

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 crashing when trying to open TIFF and JPEG images
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

To re-install on the same machine would not cost you extra.

But to make sence you would probably have to uninstall properly and run the clean-script.

What is the exact message?

Could you possibly have added the wrong suffix for the file format?

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by pressing command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift while starting Photoshop until the appropriate dialog appears after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 crashing when trying to open TIFF and JPEG images
            Curt Y Level 7

A reinstall rarely solves the problem.

Does it crash - computer resets itself, or does it freeze - requiring Task Manager to stop program?

It is quite possible that the image as something in it PS does not like.  Did you edit it with some plugin you just started using?