9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 9:33 AM by Peter Spier

CS6 Crashes with Export attempts

K80_Welch

After an unexpected computer shut down (complete with updates) I reopened InDesign, with a notice to auto recover files, selected yes, to find my files saved. However, I am now unable to export these files as PDFs, which is completely necessary for my current job search. Is this a problem with the files, or the program? I have been using InDesign to format and edit all of my job search materials (resume, cover letter, references, portfolio, etc.) and this is causing a severe hold up in this process!

• 1. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What happens when you try to export?

Are you able to export to .idml? See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 2. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
            K80_Welch Level 1

I have tried to open InDesign again twice now since posting this, and am not only unable to save the files (grayed out in menu option, closes with use of keyboard commands) and save as (closes upon clicking). This error message shows up when I reopen the program. I select yes, and am unable to export, save, etc. I select cancel, and am unable to open any files without the program closing. Should I go ahead and select NO and work from there?InDesignError.JPG

• 3. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
              K80_Welch Level 1

Now I am not even given the error message, just the opening screen with options to open a recent document or creat new.. I selected a recent file, which appears correct, and attempted to export, only to have the program close/shut down, as it has been doing since 7/12. I can't even export using the keyboard command to export without InDesign closing/shuting down

• 4. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts

Something. or maybe several somethings, is severely damaged, probably by the crash. I don't think saying "no" is going to help, and instead I would suggest closing ID, moving all the stuff from the InDesign Recovery Folder to a safe place temporarily, then try to restart ID normally. If it starts, see if you are able to open the last saved version of your file (you won't see your recent changes), and see if that will Save As or Export to .idml.

If not, try trashing the prefs: see Replace Your Preferences and then try again.

If that still doesn't solve it, see if you are able to create and save a new file, or modify any other old file (which will tell us if the file is damaged).

• 5. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
                  K80_Welch Level 1

I selected a file from my library to open in InDesign, which opened fine. I attempted 'save as', which closed the program, but did save the file. However, the file (with the same name) is now 10x larger than it was before I opened it. Where can I find the InDesign Recovery Folder? By restarting ID, do you mean simply opening the program again? 

• 6. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
                    K80_Welch Level 1

I just attempted to reopen (for the 10th time this morning) ID, create a new file, and upon clicking save, the program closed. Reopened, ctrl+s, program closed. Also, replace your preferences did not help problem. Would it be beneficial to download trial of ID CC and attempt to open, save, export, etc. from there? or delete CS6 from my laptop and attempt to reinstall?

• 7. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts
                      K80_Welch Level 1

Fun fact - I had been using CS3 for the past 3 years and only recently acquired CS6 (7 months ago). CS3 is still on my laptop and I just attempted using it to create and save a new file. CS3 is also closing upon my save and export attempts in the same way CS6 does.

• 8. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts

The recovery folder location will be listed in the prefs under File Handling, but by default it will be in your User Profile or User Library, depending on OS and version. the default location is the same folder where you'll find the InDesign SavedData file and you'll find those locations in prefs link above.

• 9. Re: CS6 Crashes with Export attempts

If both CS3 and CS6 are misbehaving in the same way it's probably a conflict with some other software.

What's the OS? Do you have a font manager?

Have you tried rebooting at any point in all of this?