13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 2:13 PM by nealeh

hogguy50

hogguy_50

Premiere Elements 11 stops during edit playback and I have to keep restarting it. This has been happening for a while and is getting very frustrating, how can I fix it so I don't continue to have this problem?

• 1. Re: hogguy50
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you take a look at this article, and provide the information requested, please: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3220274#3220274

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: hogguy50
            A.T. Romano Level 7

hogguy_50

Lots of questions that need answers here.

1. What computer operating system is Premiere Elements 11 running on? Is this a "it worked before, but not now" or "it never worked before" type issue?

2. What are the properties of the source media that you are importing into this project...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, file extension, etc....photos, how many and what pixel dimensions...other?

3. Based on the properties of your source media, what are you or the program setting as the project preset for the project?

4. Is your computer optimized, defragments, etc? What do your computer resources look like, including installed and available RAM as well as free hard drive space? Where are you program's Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location? Have you checked for pile ups in the Adobe Folder for previews and conformed audio and pile ups for conformed video (.mcdb files) as per Edit Menu/Preferences/Media?

5. When you say that "Premiere Element 11 stops during edit playback" do you mean that the playback stops or that the program crashes?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details that you supply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: hogguy50
              hogguy_50 Level 1

This is a "it worked before, but not now" When I say it stops during playback I'm refering to the fact that as I assemble my clips edit them and then try playing them back to check for continuity it will play for a few seconds and then stop and I have to press the play botton to start it again. This happens constantly (stops and I restart and it stops again and on and on). The program is not crashing. This is a fairly new computer, less than a year old with 2 TBs.

• 4. Re: hogguy50
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is there a colored line above your Clips on the Timeline?

If so, and you hit Enter/Return, to Render the Timeline, does it then play more smoothly?

Also, knowing about your Project Settings, your Clips' specifications, and the power of that computer, may well hold the clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: hogguy50
                  hogguy_50 Level 1

Rendering doesn't help. I always render my clips for smoth playback but it still continues to stop and then I need to start it again.

• 6. Re: hogguy50
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and thank you for that detail.

Will be looking for the computer's specs., the Project's Settings and the details about the Assets (the Clips), in the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: hogguy50
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      • 8. Re: hogguy50
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

hogguy_50

If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Playback Settings, does your Playback Settings look anything like the following

Playback.JPG

If you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Playback Quality, does it make a difference if you use the Automatic or Highest choice?

If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and are running a HD project, what is set for Render Quality...

Draft Quality, High Speed

or

High Quality, Slow Speed

If you start a new project, does this same play back as you describe occur?

Do you have a single or dual monitor set up?

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: hogguy50
                          hogguy_50 Level 1

Okay, the playback quality setting was set on automatic, I switched it to

highest choice but playback stopped after a couple of seconds again, same as

it's been doing.

The movie I'm making is not HD, it is from clips downloaded from a DVD I had

made from old 8mm home movies I had, it's in square pixels (1.0) and the

render quality is set on draft quality, high speed.

I did try starting a new project as you suggested and the same playback

problem occurred.

I have a single monitor set up.

If you have anymore suggestions, ideas or input it would be greatly

appreciated because I'm at the point of uninstalling my elements program and

reinstalling it and I really don't want to go through all of that if I don't

have to.

Hogguy_50

• 10. Re: hogguy50
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

hogguy_50

You wrote:

I did try starting a new project as you suggested and the same playback

problem occurred.

When  you did this, did you try new project with the same video clip? I just want to make sure if we are dealing with one problematic video clip or whether the problem extends to all. Do you have any of "it worked before" type clip that you can use as a control?

If you have been there and done that and this is an all situation, maybe try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file before considering the complete Deactivate, Uninstall, and Reinstall process.

The path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in Windows 7 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, then try deleting the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited above.

Then please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: hogguy50
                              hogguy_50 Level 1

I will take a look at option but I get a little afraid about doing things

like this because I'm not a very computer literate guy. Most of what I've

learned I've done by trial and error and that includes working on Premiere.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that I had an earlier version of

Premiere (2.0) and it worked perfectly, I never had one bit of trouble with

it but this new version gives me fits.

Under project settings, video render should maximum bit depth be checked?

Also I forgot to ask you in the last e-mail I sent whether or not there is a

trouble shooting mode for premiere?

Hogguy

• 12. Re: hogguy50
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

hogguy_50

Thanks for the follow up.

1. Worse case scenario for flushing preferences would impact custom user presets. Do you have any? Best case, you get rid of a corrupt preference file that is creating the problem. That particular fix and/or deactivate uninstall reinstall are valuable when all systematic troubleshooting options are drying up.

2. I have been working with "maximum bit depth" in project settings without a check mark and have not run into any problems with the many versions of Premiere Elements versions that I have on the same computer. I have not done a comparison between checked and unchecked in this matter. Quick try to rule in or out in your specific situation.

3. Unlike a Safe Mode for the computer, I do not see a troubeshooting mode for Premiere Elements, just the usual drills that we have been going through. Within the project, there is the opportunity to go Window Menu/Events. And, if this were an installation matter, then the following logs might prove helpful

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-install-using-logs-elements.html

How long have you had Premiere Elements 11? If within a month or 90 days of purchase, you might explore free troubleshooting opportunites direct from Adobe.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements

Contact with Adobe does not prohibit you from continuing discussions on the matter here.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: hogguy50
                                  nealeh Level 5

Premiere Elements pauses if it doesn't have screen focus. You're not doing something else (e.g. web browsing in another window) while playing back, or clicking a gadget, or something on the task bar, etc ...? If you are that would cause PRE to pause.

If you are not knowingly doing that have you recently installed any new software that might be running in the background that could be tripping up PRE?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.