2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 4:35 PM by jjl3777

What is the best practice for creating master pages and styles with translated text?

jjl3777

I format translated text all the time for my company. I want to create a set of master pages and styles for each language and then import those styles into future translated documents. That way, the formatting can be done quickly and easily.

What are the best practices for doing this? As a company this has been tried in the past, but without success. I'd like to know what other people are doing in this regard.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: What is the best practice for creating master pages and styles with translated text?
          MW Design Level 4

I create a master template that is usually void of content, with the exception I define as many of the paragraph styles I believe can/will be used with examples of their use in the body of the document--a style guide for that client. When beginning a new document for that client, I import those styles from the paragraph styles panel.

Exception to this is when in a rush I begin documentation first, then begin new work. Then in the new work, I still pull in those defined paragraph and or object styles via their panels into the new work.

There are times I need new styles. If they have broader applicability than a one-off instance or publication, then I open the style template for that client and import that style(s) from the publication containing the new style(s) and create example paragraphs and usage instructions.

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: What is the best practice for creating master pages and styles with translated text?
            jjl3777 Level 1

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. My goal to create a master template for each language. The master template would include master pages as well as text styles. Is there a way to load the master pages and the text styles at the same time into the new document? Also, as long as the name of the style is the same, the styles will import seamlessly?

Do you have any experience with InCopy? I'm also looking for a better way for multiple editors to work on the same document that is linked to the InDesign file. I know you can do that with Word also. Do you have any thoughts?

Thank you!

Janneke