8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 4:50 PM by Peter Spier

Live Screen Drawing broken?

dissidently Level 1

rMBP, latest OS updates, the new trial of indesign CC... Live Screen Drawing turned on seems to create massive artifacting throughout every OTHER object on the screen while I'm dragging.  Is this to be expected?

Greeking (of any sort) regardless of settings, doesn't seem to work.  This feature seems to be all on, or all off. 

Are others experiencing this, or just me?

Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 11.36.35 PM.png

• 1. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know what you are seeing, but someone else reported what might be the same thing yesterday.

For what it's worth, I don't see much use in general for having Live Screen Drawing set to immediate, and even less on a Retina display given all the other problems they seem to have. LSD is a big drain on resources and is rarely really necessary, and at those times when it is you can invoke it from the Delayed setting by using Patient User Mode, click and hold briefly before dragging.

• 2. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?
            dissidently Level 1

It doesn't matter whether I'm in Immediate or the Delayed mode, as soon as I get into LSD mode (by waiting in the Delayed mode) then the tearing begins.  And that's the best word for it, it's kind of like the Tearing you see when a video card starts going wonky, but it's not that, it's object specific to the other things on screen, it's not occurring on the whole screen.

Where is the other complaint so I can read that and see if it's the same?

btw, while I can appreciate you might not need LSD, I do.  In both senses of the abbreviation.

There's certain more graphical stuff I'm doing that's really benefited from pixel perfect referential placement where just the frame outline really is nowhere near enough for me to get what I want done, and tapping around with arrow keys is painfully slow.

I'm working in Retina Native.  2880 x 1800. 

It's definitely a bug.  And 100% reproducable.  I can't actually make it stop happening. 

• 3. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?

The other user narrowed it down to a gradient on the master page. Removing that fixed their problem.

• 4. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?
                dissidently Level 1

"fixed their problem"

You do work for Adobe.

This is an Indesign problem. Not a user problem.

Mine is most noticeable in areas where I'm using partial transparency. 

Removing the transparency doesn't "fix" the problem.  It removes the transparency effect.

• 5. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?

Sorry, probably shouldn't have said "fixed." They found the source of the problem and worked around it temporarily. They also seemed satisfied, and I had nothing to do with it.

• 6. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?

It occurs to me that it might also be enough, if it's a transparency-related issue, to turn off the display transparency option in CC to avoid the display anomaly while moving objects.

• 7. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?
                      dissidently Level 1

where's that option hiding out?

• 8. Re: Live Screen Drawing broken?

Couldn't tell you -- I haven't installed CC here. I'm waiting for the first round of bug fixes, at least.

I've seen a number of users post that turning it off has improved performance on their Macs, however, so I presume there's apreference item for it someplace.