5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 5:37 PM by RBemendo

Metadata-remote workflow question

PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

I have recently hired an assistant editor for help with a documentary I'm editing with Premiere Pro CC. She also has PPCC installed. We are in two different locations (in the same city) so I have given her a hard drive with a duplicate of my project folder which includes all of the original recordings and the PrPro project files.

We plan to log the footage using mostly markers with comments, then hand off the project files back and forth as needed.

The idea is to hand off the Premiere Pro project file using Dropbox while not having to hand off the 400GB of original media files. I see several potential problems with this approach though. One of the main problems being that I think (although I'm not sure) that the marker metadata is stored on the media file itself so any markers she adds will not come across when she shares back the project files. Is that correct?

I also thought this might be a good time to use the "cloud" part of Creative Cloud, but I understand that I'd have to set up a windows server, which is not worth the cost/complication.

Any workflow advice would be much appreciated. Certainly I'm not the only one working remotely with another editor. How is this normally done?

• 1. Re: Metadata-remote workflow question
          RBemendo Level 1

Hey PixelshotWDC2,

I can't advise on how this is normally done, but I am in a similiar situation working on documentary work with 2 other editors.  Once the footage is in both location, try to keep your folder structures the same, because although the locate media feature is greatly improved it still looks for the folder hierarchy.  I've found creating a folder structure that is >root>media>date>"actual videos"  to reconnect quite conveniently.  Also, since metadata is written directly to the files and not to the project file i've been relying on timeline markers, and nests for organizing footage.  Although these can not be searched, you can get pretty specific and find work around's for searching for what you need.  If you only add markers and metadata to sequences and nests, that metadata follows the project file.  So when sharing project files back and forth i've found minimizing the amount of metadata that is written to the actual files.  The other way of doing it would be to have each editor metadata tag "reels" and then merge the two video databases together. I'd probably rename the folder structure so you can determine who is logging what footage, and what needs to be added to each others media folder.  Hope that gets you started, if I can help with anything else just let me know.

cheers,

if you would like to add metadata to the project file rather than the media files, you can submit a feature request here:

https://www.adobe.com/go/wish/

• 2. Re: Metadata-remote workflow question
            PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Quote: "The other way of doing it would be to have each editor metadata tag "reels" and then merge the two video databases together."

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.

• 3. Re: Metadata-remote workflow question
              RBemendo Level 1

PixelshotWDC2 wrote:

Quote: "The other way of doing it would be to have each editor metadata tag "reels" and then merge the two video databases together."

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.

So you have media in the following folders that you need to log:

Date1

Date2

Date3

Date4

You have one editor log Date1 and Date2 and change the folder name while their working on it so when you share that folder back you know what has changed.

Date1  my metadata

Date2 my metadata

Date3

Date4

The other editor logs Date3 and Date4 and changes the folder name to it's own unique name so the folders are different on both systems.

Date1

Date2

Date3 your metadata

Date4 your metadata

Now you need to physically exchange footage, because the folders and metadata written to the files are different on each machine.  So when both editors have all the footage on their systems your folders would look like:

Date1 my metadata

Date2 my metadata

Date3 your metadata

Date4 your metadata

hope that helps

• 4. Re: Metadata-remote workflow question
                PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Thanks for the  tip RBemendo. Unfortunately this system won't work for me because the original recordings are organized by date and the Premiere bins are rearranged by subject matter for the purposes of speeding up the logging process. Also, I'm still holding out the possibility of not having to exchange the folders of original video footage since the size is so large.

Hmmm. Is there really no easy way to do this?

• 5. Re: Metadata-remote workflow question
                  RBemendo Level 1

I know in Prelude there is an option to save metadata as a sidecar file, might be something to look into