5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 3:13 PM by jettblake

How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?

jettblake

I'm totally new to Premiere (and an ancient AE user) and really would appreciate some help. I started making an After Effects project, then realized that with 50+ audio layers, I really need to work with Audition. It is easy to bring one layer (track) into Audition, but the only way I could devise to get all layers in the correct place in the timeline was via Premiere Pro.  When I export from AE to PPro all tracks are visible in the timeline and positioned perfectly but only one is audible; the rest are silent. Even other instances of that same audio track are silent. They each do, however, play in the preview window.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Premiere-audio-clips.jpg

• 1. Re: How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Whew!  What a pickle you've put yourself into.

As you've found out, Ae is not a very good editing platform...

and with 19 audio tracks, I'm not surprised you're having a problem.

You might try a couple of things:

- Delete / re-generate your Media Cache files.

= and / or =

- Make your media offline (by moving or renaming the folder),

then re-linking.

Deleting your Media Cache files:

Edit > Preferences > Media

Under 'Media Cache Database' hit 'Clean'.

This will delete the Database only.

Navigate to the location specified under 'Media Cache Files',

open the folder, select all and delete.

The Media Cache Files and Database will automatically re-generate

when you re-open your Pr Project... allow plenty of time for it to finish.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?
            jettblake Level 1

Thanks so much for attempting to untangle this mire, Joe!

I cleaned the database as you suggested, but where it says the Media Cache files are buried,  (Application Support) there is only dynamic link, dynamic link media server, and plug-ins, no media cache. Perhaps it's because I have "save media files with originals when possible" check box ticked. I've been keeping all my files together on an external drive.  Some of those have files generated today in a folder called Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files. Are those the files I need to delete? Would they be all the .pek files? What of the .xmp or the .cfa? (Probably some of this is from Audition. I've been conducting dangerous experiments trying to solve Premiere/Audition problems with After Effects strategies). 
            • 3. Re: How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?
              joe bloe premiere Level 5
              Some of those have files generated today in a folder called Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files.
              Are those the files I need to delete?

No, but it might not hurt.

Would they be all the .pek files? What of the .xmp or the .cfa?

My "Media Cache Files" folder contains files with these extensions:

.cfa

.ims

.mpgindex

.pek

CS6.0.3 (pc)

The .xmp files are 'sidecar metadata' files for imported .mpeg media.

note:

It is generally considered best practice to assign a location

for your Media Cache Files and Preview Files that is separate

from your Project / media files (a different drive is ideal).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?
                jettblake Level 1

I made a new folder for the Media Cache and Preview Files, and changed the pref. for the same. (I kept Media Cache database where it was in the Library). I tossed all the files, and re-launched PP, but still no changes.  Any other ideas?

Should I export again from After Effects with all my shiny new changes? Thanks so much!

• 5. Re: How to export all After Effects audio layers into Premiere?
                  jettblake Level 1

As quirky as it is, I figured out a work around. In AE, I re-rendered each of my audio files as an .aif, as I had various effects and/or time stretching on most of them. I swapped each one out, then exported to Premiere (and Audition) and everything works fine.  Time consuming, but perhaps Premiere didn't like what I had been doing.  Again, thank you so much for your info!