5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 8:10 AM by Laubender

Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC

Andreas Pålsson

After placing a picture in a document out of 13 pages I can no longer save, not go backwards, can not see the links in the linkspallete...
      What can i do? i dont want to lose 8 hours of work.

/Andreas

• 1. Re: Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC
          Andreas Pålsson Level 1

I have used Indesign on a daily basis for 8 years or so, so I am no newbie. I have tried everything. Please help!!!

• 2. Re: Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is going to be scary, and I can't guarantee it will work, but it's proved pretty reliable in the past...

Force quit ID without any attempt to close properly (in other words, use task manager on Windows or Force Quit on Mac). Restart ID. The autorecovery should kick in and reopen your file at something near the condition it was. Export to .idml and open that. Save with a new name so you don't overwrite the old version, which is an emergency backup file.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Can you still run scripts? If you can't, and InDesign stops responding, you are royally screwed. (Unless -- warning: -- your 8-yr experience taught you to save lots of backups ...)

In case you didn't know: you do not need the scripts panel to run scripts, you can call them up from Quick Apply. If Quick Apply doesn't work, see my first sentence.

Save this little script in your User Scripts folder:

app.activeDocument.save (File (Folder.myDocuments+'/helphelp.indd'));

and then (try to) run it. If it worked, you will see a new document pop up in your user Document folder, and with an appreciable file size as well. Then you can close/kill/abort/terminate ID, and restart it to see if the problem persists with your file. If it doesn't ... see my first sentence.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC
                Andreas Pålsson Level 1

I didn't have the time to wait so I did quit. Lost a couple of hours work, not eight though. Thank you!
                Thinking it might have something to do with the name of the file I tried to place,  I am swedish so there were a lot of scandinavian letters in it....

• 5. Re: Indesign CS 5.5 lost it when placing a PIC
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you provide the name of that file.
                  Best would be the whole path information …

What is your exact version number? On what OS? Which language?

To get the exact number of InDesign on Mac OS, just hold down the cmd key and choose "About InDesign". E.g. my version is InDesign CS5.5(7.5.3.333).

Uwe