Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Concat Issue

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2007 Oct 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
I have a lagacy database that I need to run a query on like the following. Can anyone tell me how I can achieve the following. Right now I am getting an error that PubYear is not a valid column. Thank you!

SELECT AdINFO_Publication,
ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_YEAR+ '-' + ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_MONTH + '-01' AS PubYear
FROM crAdInfo
AND PubYear BETWEEN #dateformat(startdate,"yyyy-mm-dd")# AND #dateformat(enddate,"yyyy-mm-dd")#

Any Help is appreciated
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe you can query it like that.. (please correct me if I'm wrong).

But, you could query like that if you did the first select statement and then do a following query to query the first query. So the datasource of the second query would be "query" and you can use the where clause calling that column name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your query is crashing because you are using a column alias in the where clause. That can't be done, end of discussion.

Repeating the concatonation in your where clause will probably work. It's certainly worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't reference an alias in the where clause like that. The usual method is to use the actual table column names in the where clause. Though I would probably convert the value to a valid date or datetime object, assuming the legacy database supports them.

WHERE ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_YEAR+ '-' + ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_MONTH + '-01' ....etc.

Another option is to use a derived table, if your db supports them

SELECT t.AdINFO_Publication, t.PubYear
FROM
(
SELECT AdINFO_Publication,
ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_YEAR+ '-' + ADINFO_PUBLICATIONDATE_MONTH + '-01' AS PubYear
FROM crAdInfo
) AS t
WHERE t.PubYear BETWEEN ....start date... AND ....other date...

Failing that, you could also try using a query of queries as amers suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> AND PubYear BETWEEN #dateformat(startdate,"yyyy-mm-dd")# AND ....

Even if the column did exist, you'd probably get a syntax error because string values need to be enclosed in single quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank You so much for all this info. I am going try out these suggestions. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation