5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 5:21 PM by peter minneapolis

Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?

genun27 Level 1

What is this insanity? Why would InDesign throw out things that have been established through all their other major apps, not to mention most apps on the planet? This is horrific, I can't see why this garbage is the "industry standard". It's like trying to use a Mac when you're used to a PC -- standard keyboard shortcuts totally missing, others made more-complicated for no rational reason, etc. Just an absolutely terrible experience.

So far, it:

-- Uses different keyboard shortcuts for many basic functions, matching neither Illustrator OR Photoshop (stupid)

-- Basic functionality like placing a picture function differently than Illustrator OR Photoshop (stupid).  For example where I click to place it I can't seem to get to snap to a guide, and there's two types of drag/stretch, which is completely counter-intuitive and just awful. This is for RESIZING A PICTURE. Basic functionality.

-- Basic functionality of Photoshop and Illustrator doesn't even exist.   For example, a keyboard shortcut to "show all document" in Illustrator, as well as Photoshop, doesn't even exist in InDesign from what I can tell.

Very very frustrating.

• 1. Re: Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

May I suggest you lose your lousy attitude and try making professional

suggestions here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be sure to explain why they will benefit all users.

• 2. Re: Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

Sduibek wrote:

What is this insanity? Why would InDesign throw out things that have been established through all their other major apps, not to mention most apps on the planet? This is horrific, I can't see why this garbage is the "industry standard". It's like trying to use a Mac when you're used to a PC -- standard keyboard shortcuts totally missing, others made more-complicated for no rational reason, etc. Just an absolutely terrible experience.

So far, it:

-- Uses different keyboard shortcuts for many basic functions, matching neither Illustrator OR Photoshop (stupid)

-- Basic functionality like placing a picture function differently than Illustrator OR Photoshop (stupid).  For example where I click to place it I can't seem to get to snap to a guide, and there's two types of drag/stretch, which is completely counter-intuitive and just awful. This is for RESIZING A PICTURE. Basic functionality.

-- Basic functionality of Photoshop and Illustrator doesn't even exist.   For example, a keyboard shortcut to "show all document" in Illustrator, as well as Photoshop, doesn't even exist in InDesign from what I can tell.

Is it possible that you can't find what you want because you haven't searched for the information, read a book, viewed a video tutorial, or asked the quesion on this forum directly, without the angry attitude? We all are volunteer users here, helping one another because we've been helped by others who shared useful information and experience.

For example if you search Google for "how can I show all active documents in indesign with a keyboard shortcut," without quotes, you'd have gotten some good pointers, and if you'd ask the same question here, you'd get good info, too.

In the Window menu, under Arrange, there are options for separating tabbed, or combining independent, ID document windows. "Float" separates tabbed windows, and "consolidate" combines floating document windows. There are no default keystroke shortcugts for these operations on the Window menu, so you'd need to search Google for "how can I create custom InDesign keyboard shortcuts," without quotes. You could also search Google for "InDesign quick apply," without quotes, to learn how to type in commands you want, and execute them, without learning or creating multi-key shortcuts.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Two reasons are that Photoshop and Illustrator are different programs with very different workflows, and Photoshop and Illustrator have been developed long before InDesign.

Take, for example, the keystroke Cmd/Ctrl-D. In Photoshop it is Deselect and is one of the most used commands. But Illustrator has used the command to transform again (Do it again) for just as many years.

Now deselecting and transforming again aren't that important for InDesign users. But Placing is. So the InDesign team assigned Cmd/Ctrl-D to that important task.

I myself have trouble remembering that I can't Place in Illustrator with the same keystroke as InDesign. But I recognize that I need Cmd/Ctrl-D for transform again.

However, if you insist that all three programs work exactly the same, just remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

• 4. Re: Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And of course there's always the option to make your own shortcut set with whatever you'd like to use.

• 5. Re: Why does InDesign ignore so many Adobe suite conventions?
                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Sandee Cohen wrote:

However, if you insist that all three programs work exactly the same, just remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

I always forget "foolish" when thinking of this, or quoting it to someone. But, since I "always" forget it, at least I'm consistent, eh?<G>

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold