3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 12:44 PM by Dave Merchant

JavaScript to lock / unlock a signature field with a password

demoncandy

Hello!

I have currently been struggling with a solution my employer wants to implement regarding a signature field in a PDF:

We have a form with a signature field in a document that is passed through several individuals via email.  The problem lies in that we do not want any individuals to forge the signature in lieu of their managers.

My solution is to potentially have a (signature) field, that is only unlocked by a user typing the correct password into another field on the form.  So the signature field is locked until another field is filled with the correct password.

I know that there is no easy way to lock a specific field on a form with a password, so I thought that if a field was locked dependent upon the input in another field (via JavaScript) that it might work for the functionality my employer is looking for.

If someone knows a script that could do this, or could suggest another method by which the signature field is validated and kept from being forged, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Best Regards,

Ashley

*Running Adobe Acrobat Pro XI*

• 1. Re: JavaScript to lock / unlock a signature field with a password
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can't do what you're asking, but you don't need to. If you manage them correctly, digital signatures can't be forged - that's why people use them.

Ideally you should be purchasing IDs from a commercial provider so they automatically verify on every computer, but in a closed enterprise setting you can also create self-signed IDs for your employees, issue them the private keys, and add those IDs to the local trust list. If anyone tries to create an ID using someone else's name it won't verify.

• 2. Re: JavaScript to lock / unlock a signature field with a password
            demoncandy Level 1

Hmm, interesting! I don't know much about security settings and ids, but each of our 7,000 employees has an id associated with the computer that they log into.

Would all the individuals that sign the document each have to be set up with certificates and private keys?  Even if we have 200 employees that need to sign a copy of the document, it would take some time to set up a digital signature for all of them.

I apologize if I am not understanding you correctly, I just want to make sure I understand the workflow so I can get assistance from our IT department if necessary.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: JavaScript to lock / unlock a signature field with a password
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you would have to define self-signed IDs for each person individually.

If you have a reliable method of communicating with them privately, they could create their own IDs and send them to you for addition to the corporate trust list.