18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 1:14 AM by Ann Bens

Grouping clips together and creating a template

Soulless_73 Level 1

Hi all,

Is it possible to say group a video clip, audio clip and a title and save them as a template? I've tried to do this via the menu but it doesn't seem to be an option.

I've got a still image that I apply an animated title to and play an audio clip with as my outro title in a set of videos and I'd love to be able to just save them all and import them in template formate to other videos that I make in order to save me from creating them all everytime. I do have the actual title clip as a template but it would be great to have them all.

Is this do-able? Or is there another method to achieve something like this?

Thanks a million!

~J     

• 2. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
          shooternz Level 6

Is this do-able? Or is there another method to achieve something like this?

Export it as a re useable asset.  i.e a digital intermediate.

• 3. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

Good point.

Preferred codecs for DI files:

Lagarith Lossless Video Codec (pc only)

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Ut Video Codec Suite (pc or mac / lossless)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Avid Codecs 2.3.7 - DNxHD (pc or mac) / 'virtually lossless'

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319

All you need to know about encoding DNxHD by Fuzzy Barsik:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5331048#5331048

note:

I use a lot of image sequences as intermediate files as well.

Usually .tga.

• 4. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
              Soulless_73 Level 1

Exporting as re-usable asset sounds like what I'm wanting to do. I'm still searching high and low on exactly how to perform this. Googling the terms aren't much help. I'm getting directed to the same nesting videos which while they seem applicable, they don't really point me enough at how I'd apply this to my situation.

Hmm..

Sorry if I seem slow, I'm very new and still learning so sooo much. This software is incredible though. Thank you all for the information. I'll keep searching and playing with it until I figure it out.

• 5. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                shooternz Level 6

Export your

a video clip, audio clip and a title

just as if it was an entire movie.

Export it to a location (eg Library Folder) where you can find it for future use as an asset in any Project Window.

• 6. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I think my friends are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Joe had it right with sequences, but failed to expand on the possibilities.

Create a sequence, or sequences in a special project that you import into every other project you make.

1. No digital intermediate required - therefore no additional loss and no huge lossless file.

2. You can put all of your often reused assets into that one project and either import the project, or individual sequences as you see fit.

This is the easy way to save titles you reuse, and logos, etc. It is also a place where you can store clips where you have applied a particular set of effects that you want to be able to copy and "Paste Attributes" to clips in other projects. Almost like being able to save a collection of effects (Hear that Adobe? We want to save collections of effects!)

It would be very simple to have a sequence with your title and video and audio, and you can easily change the title's text after you import it into each project. Therefore keeping all of the various other settings like font style and size and position.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                    shooternz Level 6

I think my friends are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Only took me one sentence (ten words) though.  

• 9. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Only took me one sentence (ten words) though.  

Too true.

Just FYI, I was contacted by an Adobe employee about my "Hear that Adobe?" comment and asked to explain how it would work.

Easy enough to explain, so I did that before I left for work this morning.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to save a bunch of different effects that you seem to apply to every clip you use into a special collection as a preset? I do that now with a clip in a project I import, but a preset would be cleaner and the file size of my projects smaller.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 10. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to save a bunch of different effects that you seem to apply to every clip you use into a special collection as a preset?

It is cool.  That's why Adobe gave us the ability to save Presets.

• 11. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                          Soulless_73 Level 1

Ok so my question is this, (forgive my newbieness!)

just as if it was an entire movie.

Export it to a location (eg Library Folder) where you can find it for future use as an asset in any Project Window.

Would I need to start with a new "clean" sequence, create these 3 elements (title, audio and vid) and then export? (basically if it were an entire movie only consisting of the 3 elements)

I'm asking because I was hoping that there was a way to export these elements from a project that I've already done (but I only want to export the small outro title/aud/vid instead of the whole video obviously).

I suppose I could open said project and trim out everything except for the clips in question and then I'd have the small clips to export?

I realize that if I do this I wouldn't be able to edit the title text or anything like that since it would convert the layers/tracks into one video file.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

• 12. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                            shooternz Level 6

Export just the Work Area Bar for that purpose. .

That an area you set by placing the play head at the start of the section...and pressing Alt-[  for the start of the WAB

and then reset play head to the end of the section you want and pressing ALt-] for the end.

When exporting check Export Work Area.

You could also Copy and Paste (lasso them) the selected assets from your sequence into a new Sequence.

• 13. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                              Soulless_73 Level 1

shooternz wrote:

Export just the Work Area Bar for that purpose. .

That an area you set by placing the play head at the start of the section...and pressing Alt-[  for the start of the WAB

and then reset play head to the end of the section you want and pressing ALt-] for the end.

When exporting check Export Work Area.

You could also Copy and Paste (lasso them) the selected assets from your sequence into a new Sequence.

Great thanks so much, that is incredibly helpful.

• 14. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

If you lasso everything and paste it into a new sequence, you can then import that sequence into any project you want.

As I said, it is easier to keep a special project for such things then import that project into every project where you might need it. Then the titles will be editable.

• 15. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Jim,

Unless I missed something along the way, presets are for one effect. Not three or four or more.

I explained it for Adobe like this:

This is not actually my workflow, but let's say it was ...

Let's say that I have a camera that has a white balance that is off ever so slightly, or I just prefer to apply a Three-Way Color Corrector that adds a touch of warmth to every video. Besides that, the way I shoot with that camera really calls for just a touch of the Unsharp Mask. Let's also say that levels almost always cause me a problem because I don't pay attention to my blinkies, or zebra stripes.

So I have a clip with three or more effects that I apply to every clip I edit. Or almost every clip. To make things easier, I save one clip in a sequence in a special project. I import that sequence into every project I create so that I can use the clip to copy and paste attributes to all of my footage on the timeline.

Wouldn't it be easier to just save the collection of effects I have applied to that clip as a preset in Premiere Pro that I could name "Base Effects for GH3" or "Fix my Mark III" or something similar?

Now that you have made it easier to apply only certain effects when pasting attributes, I will also want the ability to apply a preset with only some of the effects. Maybe leave out the levels adjustment now and then  Hey! You started it by giving us a selection of the attributes!

Now, all of this is related in a way to the fact that I also want to take a clip from the timeline, like the one I save in that special project, and put it as is, right back into the Project Panel, with all of it's effects applied to it so that they show up when I scrub in the panel. Even if I have a way to save all of my effects as a preset, I still want to be able to see clips with effects applied in the Project Panel, and therefore in the Source monitor. Two separate, but related issues.

• 16. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

As Jim alluded, I think we've already met your primary request. In the Effects Control Panel, CTRL/CMD-click to select multiple effects, then go to the panel's flyout menu and select "Save Preset..." The resulting preset will include all the selected presets.

• 17. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Wow! OK.

When the heck did that happen? I obviously missed it.

Must have been when I took a few years off and I just never tried selecting them all.

As the great Emily Litella used to say: "Nevermind".

I could still use the second part of my request. The one that actually applies better to this particular thread. Being able to put a clip from the timeline, effects and all, into the Project Panel where it can be sorted and scrubbed, etc, would be a great feature.

• 18. Re: Grouping clips together and creating a template
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                        So I have a clip with three or more effects that I apply to every clip I edit. Or almost every clip. To make things easier, I save one clip in a sequence in a special project. I import that sequence into every project I create so that I can use the clip to copy and paste attributes to all of my footage on the timeline.

Just make a preset of the three effects.

No need to make a special sequence and import that sequence into a new project. Select all clips in one go and add preset from Effects panel. Done.

Being able to put a clip from the timeline, effects and all, into the Project Panel where it can be sorted and scrubbed, etc, would be a great feature.

That seem to me as a sort of backwards editing.