4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 6:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 better for Adobe Premiere 9

dobiegillis

Needing to buy new computer (laptop) for video editting with Premiere 9.

I'm happy with the Windows 7 OS I have now, but most new computer systems (laptops) have Windows 8.

Have read of lots of problems with Windows 8, and was wondering if it would be problem editing Premiere 9 on a Windows 8 OS ?

Any recommendations of minimum specs required in a new computer for efficient editting with Premiere 9?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

• 1. Re: Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 better for Adobe Premiere 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know about version 9, which was designed before Windows 7. But I've found that version 11 runs very nicely on Windows 7 SP1.

We occasionally see people having problems with Premiere Elements on Windows 8 -- but it too works for most people. And Windows 8 does have the potential to be a terrific OS.

If it were me, I'd get Windows 8. You won't go wrong with either.

And why not update to Premiere Elements 11 when you do? Particularly when working with AVCHD and other high-def formats, it's a world better than version 9.

• 2. Re: Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 better for Adobe Premiere 9
            dobiegillis Level 1

Many thanks for your reply and advice, Steve.

I’d like to stay with Premiere 9 because it has taken me ages to learn it, and I have bought two of your books on Premiere 9 which have been a great help and I want to keep on using them.

What improvements are there in Premiere 11 to make it worthwhile upgrading from Premiere 9?   Also, how soon do you think Premiere 12 will be released and what improvements is this likely to have?

I did have a look at Premiere 11 last year and it seems to have a completely different interface to the one I’m used to in Premiere 9.  Most frustrating as I am just getting in the swing of things in Premiere 9.

However, I may be “forced” to upgrade to Premiere 11 if I decide to get a laptop with Windows 8 OS.   Haven’t there been huge problems with Windows 8 and Premiere programmes?

Many thanks again for taking the time to help.....much appreciated.

dobiegillis

• 3. Re: Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 better for Adobe Premiere 9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for supporting the books, Dobie!

Yes, Premiere Elements 11 is a major reworking of the program. But it also works much faster and more efficiently. Again, I don't know what type of video you're going to be editing -- but if you're going to be editing high-def video from AVCHD camcorders or video from a smartphone or iPad, the performance in version 11 is a world different!

Here are links to my articles on the improvements in version 11. If you click on the Details links on this page, you'll link to my reviews of each program.

http://muvipix.com/pe11.php

As for version 12 -- well, those who know can't say. But, as you can see in this Wikipedia entry, the release of each version has followed a similar release date pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Elements

• 4. Re: Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 better for Adobe Premiere 9
                A.T. Romano Level 7

dobiegillis

I work with all of my Premiere Elements versions 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1/, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11 on desktop Windows 7 64 bit. They work fine.

When I obtained my laptop Window 8 64 bit, I installed versions 10 and 11 on it on a permanent basis. They work fine there. In the course of troubleshooting the problems of others, I have installed versions 8.0/8.0.1 and 9.0/9.0.1 on that same Windows 8 64 bit laptop and found them to work well there and the same as on the desktop Windows 7 64 bit.

ATR