2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 2:11 PM by osubigtimefan

Newb Question For File Sizing

osubigtimefan Level 1

I created a page layout template (for a PDF eBook) inside of Photoshop. I saved it as a maximum quality JPG, and dragged it into my InDesign file as the background.

If I were to use this as the template background, will this inflate my file size? Or is this something normal that you'd expect from a higher quality designed eBook?

Lastly, are there any tips to optimizing this for file size? File size isn't THAT big of a deal, but I don't want a huge file size simply because I'm doing something stupid.

• 1. Re: Newb Question For File Sizing
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

osubigtimefan wrote:

I created a page layout template (for a PDF eBook) inside of Photoshop. I saved it as a maximum quality JPG, and dragged it into my InDesign file as the background.

Why?

Photoshop is primarily for "photos" not page layout.

InDesign is the Page Layout tool.

Can you please elaborate on your work process and what exactly you are doing?

• 2. Re: Newb Question For File Sizing
            osubigtimefan Level 1

I just used Photoshop for two reasons:

1) I started with Word, because I plan on handing this document out to partners. But I found another work around so a PDF output is fine. I wanted to get away from word because of the compression quality and all around clunky-ness the editor offers. So previously I just created the JPG background, and loaded it as a watermark into Word.

2) I'm most comfortable with Photoshop. With InDesign I'm not sure how to add elements beyond very basic text. So when it comes to drawing custom shapes, adding drop shadows, gradients, etc... I have no idea what I'm doing in InDesign.

Here's the background I was looking to create: http://i.imgur.com/x4fsXiL.jpg (I blurred out our logo and heading).

P.S. I'm not saying either of these reasons are solid for using PS... lol. Just explaining my stupidity!