6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 5:20 AM by areohbee

Third Party Trigger?

Philip Aarseth

Hey,

I want to know if it is possible for third party software to trigger ACR?

If so, where do you have resources like SDKs?

and if not, would it be possible to implement?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Third Party Trigger?
          Yammer Level 4

"trigger"?

• 2. Re: Third Party Trigger?
            Philip Aarseth Level 1

Simply letting other programs push files to ACR to process.

For instance what I'm most interested in:

Magic Lantern (third party camera software) can now shoot RAW video and outputs it into .RAW files.

It's also been made several different batch convert programs (both windows, os x and linux) which outputs the .RAW files to DNG sequences.

You just drag all the .RAW files into the program and then you have lots of sequences, easy.

Adobe Camera Raw, is so powerful and excellent for grading and correcting DNGs.

My question or suggestion is if Adobe lets third party software open the first frame in a sequence for all the different shots in ACR?

• 3. Re: Third Party Trigger?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think it is Adobe's policy to allow other companies to utilize their plug-ins, especially Camera Raw. As I think about what you are requesting, it seems to me that Adobe would be creating competition for themselves. I could very well be wrong, but I don't think so.

• 4. Re: Third Party Trigger?
                areohbee Level 5

Fillern1 wrote:

I want to know if it is possible for third party software to trigger ACR?

Simply converting to DNG using the command-line converter will embed a preview (created by ACR using ACR default settings) in the DNG, which you could extract using exiftool for immediate consumption in rgb/jpg form.

• 5. Re: Third Party Trigger?
                  Philip Aarseth Level 1

@jim

Yeah, I found it difficult to find answers and even harder to find resources, so my hope is for an Adobe official would confirm or refute.

@Rob

I'm not too familiar with the command-line converter, would you care to further explain?

Also, I'm not sure if that's the solution I'm looking for.

As of now, all the converters go to DNG sequences, then you have to bring them into AE (the only adobe program that reads the DNG sequences), render out in ProRes for instance all before you can edit.

Some of the third party converters have option for ProRes 4444, but when you convert it straight to ProRes, you're never actually accessing all the RAW data, and that's kind of meaningless if you're shooting RAW.

If they were to have ACR support, then you could pump out ProRes footage, either totally flattened or already color corrected and go edit.

• 6. Re: Third Party Trigger?
                    areohbee Level 5

Fillern1 wrote:

@Rob

I'm not too familiar with the command-line converter, would you care to further explain?

this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe DNG Converter.exe" -cr7.1 -p2 "Z:\my folder\my file.RAW"

will re-package raw data into DNG *and* render a large jpeg preview using ACR and embed it (which you or some software could extract).

I don't understand about sequences and AE and ProRes4444.

With a better feel for what you are trying to accomplish, I could better advise, but a.t.m. - I don't have much of a clue, except: "converting to DNG" is tantamount to "triggering ACR", unless I don't know what you expect to happen when you trigger it - I assumed you wanted to get a useable (rgb) image out of it, driven by some script or app you are writing(?)

I mean, you may able to script bridge instead, or use a photoshop droplet...

?

Rob