15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 6:11 AM by Peter Spier

What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

4hobbit

CS5.5, english version.

The complete book was built-up and all master pages were applied . When reopening the file, several blank pages appeared at two places in the document. The text flow was not interrupted, but seamed «hidden» under a non-existing white layer. The software showed «Master page applied», but the pages were blank, imposible to select any object or to place a new text frame. It was also impossible to reapply the master page (the pages were still blank after). We could not access the hidden part of text, even if it was obviously still present, and we had no choice but rebuild a new document.

We don't know what caused this very disturbing bug, and we would avoid it to reappear again! If someone knows a trick, you're welcome!

Version : Indesign CS 5.5, en anglais.

Le livre était monté en entier avec pages maîtresses appliquées. Lors d'une réouverture du fichier, plusieurs pages vides sont apparues, à deux endroits dans le document. Le texte n'était pas interrompu, mais semblait «caché» sous un calque blanc. Le logiciel affichait l'icône de la page maîtresse appliquée, mais la page demeurait vide. Impossible de sélectionner une boîte de texte ni de parvenir à réappliquer la page maîtresse. Nous n'avons pas réussi à accéder à la portion de texte «cachée» sous ces pages vides, bien qu'elle n'ait de toute évidence pas été perdue.

Nous n'avons pas trouvé d'autre solution que de recommencer le montage à zéro à partir d'un nouveau document, mais nous ne savons pas ce qui a causé ce problème, ni comment éviter qu'il survienne à nouveau.

Si quelqu'un a déjà rencontré cette anomalie et peut m'informer, bienvenue!

• 1. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I believe this really was a bug, having to do with either keep options or hyphenation, but I don't recall the details. Are you patched to 7.5.3?

Is the text really on the blank page, or does it continue by skipping a page, which is what I recall happeing with the bug?

• 2. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
            4hobbit Level 1

Hi, Peter, and thanks for answering!

The text really continues without being interrupted, but we can't see it. I had the printed version in front of me for comparison, and the last word of the last visible page matched, and so the first visible word matched too, after the ending of the blank pages. I was able to stretch the text frame and the text continued reflowing, but 7 blank pages stayed. It was really as if I had put 7 white sheets over my printed book, and moved the book under them.

Is that helpfull?

We don't have the 7.5.3 patch. I don't know if this patch fits our operating system (Mac OSX 10.5.8)

• 3. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

Well, I'm still confused a little about the text flow. If you put the cursor after the last character on the page before the blank, and pres the right arrow key once, where is the cursor? Is it visible on the next page that shows text?

OS is not a problem for the update, and there were a LOT of bug fixes. Unfortunately, if this wasn't one of the things that did get fixed you're stuck becasue there won't be any more updates to CS5.5.

• 4. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
                4hobbit Level 1

The cursor totally disappears, and the blank page comes in front view as the active page. I can't see the cursor anywhere, nor on the first visible page after the blank.

• 5. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

I have no idea what this is. I'd love to see the file, though and try to figure it out. Would you be able to share?

• 6. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
                    4hobbit Level 1

I asked my boss, he agreed. You have to know that it is a book under copyright, in process for publishing.

How couls I transmit the folder? I can't allow a sharing directly in my computer. We have a FTP account, if you don't.

Thank you very much!

• 7. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

No Problem. I work with confidential information all the time and I'll delete your files as soon as I've finished exploring.

I'm sending you an upload link via the Private Messages feature here on the forum.

• 8. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
                        4hobbit Level 1

OK!

I'm new on this forum, where are the private messages?

• 9. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

You should receive an email from Adobe Forums with a link to the message, but they live in the "your stuff" area that you access from the menu at the top of the page.

• 12. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
                            4hobbit Level 1

I quit my office in nearly 10 minutes, so I will come back only tomorrow to see what's new about the investigation.

Have a nice evening!

• 13. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

I'm afraid I don't have any good news for you, though I was able to get the text to reappear by deleting the blank pages and inserting new ones, then rethreading. Youy could do this, but I suspect it is a short-term fix that won't last a day and more important, that output will fail.

ID seems to think the frames on the blank pages are lines with astronomically long lengths and they seem to be sheared as well. Needless to say that seems to be some sort of corruption in the file. The reason that I don't have good news is that I've been completely unable to export anything useful for repair out of the file and reimport it-- neither .idml or tagged text. In all cases I get an error message that the  either the file does not exist, it is in use or I don't have permission. I know the files exist -- I can open the text file in a text editor, and I can see the components of the .idml file if I change the extension to .zip, but I can't convince any version of ID to access either of them.

I looked through the file history and noticed that this file began life as a CS4 file that was converted to CS5.5 in August of 2011. I think that's the source of the problem. From time to time we get reports of unexplainable glitches or files that will not output, or just refuse to open at some point, even though they were fine hours earlier, and quite often it turns out that these are legacy files that were directly updated in a newer version. Because of this I now recommend that all legacy files that are to be converted be exported to .inx or .idml from the original version, then that exported file should be opened in the new version.

Actually I had one more thought, and it seems to have been at least partly successful. As I mentioned, I was able to export the main story to InDesign Tagged Text and open that in a text editor (Notepad in this case, since I'm on PC). I tried saving the file from notepad with a new name and lo and behold I can now import it into a new file or use it to replace the text in the original. I tried the replacement, and exporting another .idml. but that still fails to reopen, so the corruption is not in the text of the main story. A .idml file export from a new .indd with the resaved tagged text placed in it also is working.

This means you actually have a good shot at rebuilding this file fairly quickly. Export the stories to tagged text, open those in a plain text editor of your choice and resave as plain text, then place them into a new document with the same page dimensions and margins (rebuild the master pages from scratch in the new file). Make a backup copy of the file with just the text, and make sure it is working properly and that you can export to .idml and PDF, then add the images and check again. I think this is going to work, though it may take a few hours.

DON'T overwrite any of the files you have already -- use new names, and do a save As a the end of each session or at any major change point adding a version number to the name so you have a good backup version chain in case something goes wrong again. Good luck.

• 14. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?
                                4hobbit Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot. You're right, this is no good news, but at least we're not completely blind anymore.

I have several questions to ask about your check-up :

- Is that bug affecting only the document structure, or is the content is affected too? I mean, if I build a new document flowing a new text, is there a risk if I import some elements from a previous document? For an example, the last page with all the retailers data is a non-linked content that we copy and paste in every new book to save time. Should we avoid to continue that way?

- If we import elements from non-flowed pages, will the bug come with?

- If we import style sheets for characters and paragraph attributes, is there a risk?

Thank you in advance!

• 15. Re: What causes blank pages appearing suddenly in an autoflowed-text document?

There's always some amount of risk when you do any of those things. The export to tagged text is a fairly reliable method to clean corrupt text, as is passing through the clipboard. Creating a new file rather than attempting to re-use bits of the old one other than by copy/paste (and I would not copy paste a frame with content, only the content itself) also minimizes the risk that you'll be reusing a corrupt element.

Keep in mind that the file is already damaged, so you need to be very careful about proofing to be sure nothing else we haven't already identified is a problem. And I don't think this is a bug, in the sense that its a coding problem. The file is damaged. The history shows that it crashed at some point, which I didn't notice last night, and that can also be a contibuting factor to file damage. Sometimes, even with a program as generally stable as ID, stuff just happens.

Most of the time an export to .idml can clean up minor problems (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) but as I mentioned I could not get the exported .idml to open here. It's remotely possible that this is a permissions issue due to some sort of locking from your Mac, though I've never seen anything like it where I could edit a file, but not open an exported .idml, so you might want to try exporting the .idml yourself and see if it will open on your end. If it will , I would  go as far to open in CS4 if you can, and rexport to .inx for CS3 as I didn't see any features inthe file that are unsupported in CS4. Open the .inx in CS5.5 for reconversion and save with a new name to move forward.

On another note, three of the five links in the package came through with altered filenames on my Windows system. I think that's a character mapping issue with the accented e in the filenames. I don't believe this is related in any way to the other problems and is just a coincidence and consequnce of the platform shift.

1 person found this helpful