2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 9:56 AM by craftyapps

Convert 2D image to 3D using Depth Map

craftyapps Level 1

I'm looking for some help in getting the best results when creating 3D images in Photoshop. I've been experimenting in the creation of 3D images using a 2D source using Photoshop CS5. The output is intended to be a lenticular print.

I've been following the tutorials here http://www.russellbrown.com

I've achieved some good results by converting my single 2D image into multiple layers, creating 3D postcards and adjusting the parallax and focal plane. This gives a good illusion of depth in the image, but (in my experience at least) I can't get a layer to look like it's popping out of the screen.

I've also tried using a single image and creating a depth map from a greyscale image. This does help to make it look like the image pops out of the screen, but I can't get the same illusion of depth that I get in the other case without distorting the image.

What I'd like to do is combine both methods, using the depth map for the foreground layer and using parallax and focal plane settings for the background. Unfortunately I can't get this to work. If I use a semi-transparent layer as the basis for the depth map I get a light grey fringe around my target layer when I apply the greyscale mask and if I then try and set the parallax and focal plane settings as I would have in the first scenario, the layer with the depth map becomes unusable.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might resolve this problem?

Thanks