1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 10:30 AM by jstrawn

Source Panel editing of clip with replaced audio track

rbcheek

I'm having trouble editing in the source panel and I'm not sure what the problem might be.  I'm running Premiere Pro CC on Windows 7.  I have separate long (100 minutes) clips from three individual cameras filming the same discussion.  The audio on the three cameras is audible but not of good quality.  I have a separate master audio file that is of very high quality.  I don't want to make a multi-cam out of these three clips, since there are only about 15-20 minutes from each clip that I want to use.  I'd like to load each clip into the source panel and do two things - create subclips from each large clip, and use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline.

Since I'll be taking different segments from each large clip, I've created a sequence for each camera angle.  In the sequence, I've deleted the low-quality camera audio and replaced it with a synced copy of the master audio.  I've then linked the video and audio tracks.  Again, I've done this for each of the three camera angles and saved each as a sequence with the one hybrid clip.

When I load any of the three clips in the Source Panel, it will let me use in/out points, but then I can't save as a subclip or drag as a subclip to the timeline.  When I load the sequence on the timeline, I can use the razor tool to make permanent cuts to the clip.  Then, I can delete material I don't want and keep the useable bits.  But, this is destructive and not very user-friendly.

Question - is there a way to load a clip with a substituted audio track into the Source Panel to create subclips and use in/out points to create non-destructive edits for the timeline?

PS - I'm fairly new at Premiere Pro CC - I have a decent amount of experience in Photoshop and Lightroom, but not in video editing.  Although I've taken some formal training, I dont' have much practical experience - until recently.  So, even if what I'm trying to do sounds advanced, I'm not - which is a large part of the problem.  Please don't assume I know much about Premiere Pro CC.

I'd be grateful for any guidance that anyone can offer.

• 1. Re: Source Panel editing of clip with replaced audio track
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

I'd like to load each clip into the source panel and do two things - create subclips from each large clip, and use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline.

Don't make subclips from the source monitor. Do it in the timeline.

1. Drag the clip into a sequence in the timeline.

2. Trim the clip in the timeline or give it in/out points in the Program Monitor

3. Choose Clip > Make Subclip (ctrl/cmd + U)

4. Assign it a name in the 'Make Subclip' dialog

5. Drag the new sublcip from the porject panel back into the sequence as needed

The second part of whay you want "use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline" is really what the source monitor is designed for and should work intuitively in that way (there are UI widgets to let you drag vid-oinly or audio-only if needed).

Try that and then let us know where you may still be stuck at that point. There was a lot in your first posts.

I'm fairly new at Premiere Pro CC - I have a decent amount of experience in Photoshop and Lightroom, but not in video editing. 

Welcome!