1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 10:30 AM by jstrawn

Source Panel editing of clip with replaced audio track

rbcheek Level 1

I'm having trouble editing in the source panel and I'm not sure what the problem might be.  I'm running Premiere Pro CC on Windows 7.  I have separate long (100 minutes) clips from three individual cameras filming the same discussion.  The audio on the three cameras is audible but not of good quality.  I have a separate master audio file that is of very high quality.  I don't want to make a multi-cam out of these three clips, since there are only about 15-20 minutes from each clip that I want to use.  I'd like to load each clip into the source panel and do two things - create subclips from each large clip, and use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline.

Since I'll be taking different segments from each large clip, I've created a sequence for each camera angle.  In the sequence, I've deleted the low-quality camera audio and replaced it with a synced copy of the master audio.  I've then linked the video and audio tracks.  Again, I've done this for each of the three camera angles and saved each as a sequence with the one hybrid clip.

When I load any of the three clips in the Source Panel, it will let me use in/out points, but then I can't save as a subclip or drag as a subclip to the timeline.  When I load the sequence on the timeline, I can use the razor tool to make permanent cuts to the clip.  Then, I can delete material I don't want and keep the useable bits.  But, this is destructive and not very user-friendly.

Question - is there a way to load a clip with a substituted audio track into the Source Panel to create subclips and use in/out points to create non-destructive edits for the timeline?

PS - I'm fairly new at Premiere Pro CC - I have a decent amount of experience in Photoshop and Lightroom, but not in video editing.  Although I've taken some formal training, I dont' have much practical experience - until recently.  So, even if what I'm trying to do sounds advanced, I'm not - which is a large part of the problem.  Please don't assume I know much about Premiere Pro CC.

I'd be grateful for any guidance that anyone can offer.

• 1. Re: Source Panel editing of clip with replaced audio track
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

I'd like to load each clip into the source panel and do two things - create subclips from each large clip, and use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline.

Don't make subclips from the source monitor. Do it in the timeline.

1. Drag the clip into a sequence in the timeline.

2. Trim the clip in the timeline or give it in/out points in the Program Monitor

3. Choose Clip > Make Subclip (ctrl/cmd + U)

4. Assign it a name in the 'Make Subclip' dialog

5. Drag the new sublcip from the porject panel back into the sequence as needed

The second part of whay you want "use in/out points to create snips that I drag to the Timeline" is really what the source monitor is designed for and should work intuitively in that way (there are UI widgets to let you drag vid-oinly or audio-only if needed).

Try that and then let us know where you may still be stuck at that point. There was a lot in your first posts.

I'm fairly new at Premiere Pro CC - I have a decent amount of experience in Photoshop and Lightroom, but not in video editing. 

Welcome!