1 2 3 Previous Next 92 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2007 10:43 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director Beta Program?

I went to the Director Beta links on Adobe.com and they are 404 error dead pages.

How can I request to be put on the Director Beta Team? Anyone?

Since the changeover from Macromedia to Adobe, I stopped getting emails about Director feature requests as well.

I have 4 mac licenses of Director MX 2004 that are on the shelf and awaiting the upgrade to use with the Mac Intels we have now.

DG
        • 1. Director Beta Program?
          thismarty Level 1
          I've emailed the lead and other members of the Director team directly seeking admission to the beta for months and months now, without so much as a reply.

Note too how little you see by way of involvement by said team members on this (and other) Director-related forums.

I think it's pretty clear that Director's new all-Bangalorite team is placing a pretty low priority on involvement with the community. Perhaps it''s a cultural thing? Anyway, I hope they make up for their lack of interest in interacting with all of us with great coding skills.
          • 2. Re: Director Beta Program?
            Level 7
            Director Guy wrote:

> How can I request to be put on the Director Beta Team? Anyone?

I asked someone at Adobe to elaborate more on what was mentioned at Max that the
            Director 11 beta will be open to anyone interested. I have heard back, the reply
            saying there will be a public beta preview of sorts to interested parties. If
            you'd like to find out more, email Rick Jones at rickj@adobe.com.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 3. Re: Director Beta Program?
              Level 7
              MartyPlumbo wrote:

> I think it's pretty clear that Director's new all-Bangalorite team is placing
              > a pretty low priority on involvement with the community. Perhaps it''s a
              > cultural thing? Anyway, I hope they make up for their lack of interest in
              > interacting with all of us with great coding skills.

Hi Marty,

Sorry you didn't get a reply from Adobe. See my other post about contacting Rick
              Jones.

Yes, Adobe haven't been great at interacting with the community in the forums. I
              have urged them to do more on this front. The reasons for lack of involvement
              include - new team that needed to get familiar with Director and the community,
              cultural thing, loss of great community ambassador (Tom H), huge amount of work to
              get Director updated (see below). I know that Adobe are actively looking for a
              Director evangelist to be a community liaison between Adobe and Director's users.
              I'm not sure if someone has been hired.

Some people (including in the above Max thread) aren't impressed with Adobe's
              efforts on Director. They see' too little and too late'.. While I agree that the
              updates in Director 11 don't seem that significant, having an inside view of what's
              happening at Adobe and in the Director team, I have a greater appreciation of what
              they're doing. The situation is that since Director MX 2004 to the point where
              Macromedia was sold to Adobe, there was very little development of Director. No
              effort was put into 3D and work did not even start on new Operating Systems that
              would be coming out. Adobe took over Macromedia and they inherited Director in a
              very neglected state. A lot of legacy issues remained unfixed. The codebase was
              old. And now there was Vista and MacIntel to deal with. So, it has been an enormous
              amount of work just updating Director for these OSs.

Adobe have publicly said they are working on plans for Director 12 and 13 and 3D is
              part of the thinking. So, let's hope that Director 11 is just the first stage in a
              much better future for Director under Adobe.

regards
              Dean

• 4. Re: Director Beta Program?
                I was just pleased to hear that it was going to be updated at all! LOL

Just getting it to Vista and MacTel was thrilling to hear. If there happen to be some new features and functionality, then all the better.

I remember hearing on a financial analyst call that Director MX 2004 had its best quarter ever in the history of Macromedia. That right after they had included the DVD event manager and actually had a presence at NAB. That was pretty clear that the DVD authoring community was starving for a way to get DVD-Rom content on a DVD video disc. I was actually hoping that director would somehow branch further into that realm, especially because those sales were clearly after an update that had no new 3D features and that supposedly has been the constant cry for years now to update.

I was always horrified that Flash was given all the resources while Director just got ignored.

Initially, I was excited to hear the Adobe was buying Macromedia because I thought that given Adobe Encore DVD did not have a way to include DVD-Rom content with the functionality that Director could... that Adobe would update those features to strengthen their entire video app pipeline. Then I kept hearing rumblings of the next version and nothing would happen.

So when I heard that there would be some news at Max I got excited. I still am.

I'd love for them to have someone reach out and into the community like T.H. did. Hopefully that happens.

BTW... Dean....

Last night I went to take your survey and then saw it is closed. Good survey though. Thanks for the continued Director support.

I'll be returning to it once 11 returns. I went to Intel macs and heavily into video at the same time so I have not used Director in some time now. I miss it.

As much as I hated learning the interface and the workflow in the beginning .... I learned to love that app.

-Mike James
                • 5. Re: Director Beta Program?
                  Level 7
                  Director Guy wrote:

> BTW... Dean....
                  >
                  > Last night I went to take your survey and then saw it is closed. Good survey
                  > though. Thanks for the continued Director support.

Hi Mike,

Glad you appreciate the effort. Initially, I had planed to keep the survey open and
                  allow data to continue to filter through and update the results. However, it was so
                  much work to collate the information, i thought it would be best just to give the
                  results in one hit.

I occasionally get a new survey email. From a spammer managing to bypass my
                  'closed' security:)

Glad to hear you'll be a Director 11 user.

regards
                  Dean

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Director Beta Program?
                    thismarty Level 1
                    Dean Utian is clearly the Director community's best feature right now! Dean, you're such a great advocate and resource for Director users these days! I'd like to thank you for that.

I agree with you too, this is an exciting time for Director. Clearly Adobe gets Director and intends to surprise us with a great 11 release. I just wish they could let all of us feel a bit more involved, or at least informed, on it. I don't see how that would involve a lot of effort and it's surely great promotion.

And keeping the doors barred on the beta is just plain loopy.

Hopefully, the new Director team is just so busy doing so much work to make Director 11 so great that they simply can't look up from their keyboards. If that's the case, I wish I could read thse forums a year from now today - if I could, I bet they'd be full of excitement and interest like we haven't seen in a long time. I look forward to that.

• 7. Re: Director Beta Program?
                      Yup. Looking forward to another version. Especially given my all too personal experiences with EOL titles and those that get thrown aside.

At one time I was using the following almost daily....

GoLive 6
                      LiveMotion 2
                      Freehand 10
                      Director 8

So I am all too familiar with feeling "neglect". My four core apps above turned out to be bad choices except for Director. GoLive was my choice so I could integrate with LiveMotion 2. When LM2 got EOL'd I jumped to DW. Freehand I clung onto and still have not migrated to Illustrator. Adobe had publicly said both GoLive and Freehand would get another update. GoLive got a bump to 9 this year, but I've heard nada about whether or not Freehand still will.

Thank god Director did not get EOL'd

-Mike
                      • 8. Re: Director Beta Program?
                        Doc Raman Level 1
                        I'd also say Dean is without a doubt the best champion for Director right now.

Thanks!
                        • 9. Re: Director Beta Program?
                          wgb14
                          Good news for all of us indeed.... I first come across director back in 98 (and version 6). Since then director has given me to means to live (through teaching) and to complete my prototypes (necessary for the acedemic work). I know that my university has already planned an update to the new director version (when it will come out) and I have several colleges from other universities working with director (either for teaching or prototyping). I don't believe that adobe has any other choice than yo give us what we want.

By the way, I never understood what is that "hot" about flash. Director is so configurable, that I recently found an extra that allows director to access Java classes (an amazing feature indeed)..... I have never heard anyone doing a serious prototype, or an app with flash... Unless you consider these "silly" webpages and games a serious work.

All the best to the Director community and I trully hope that I will manage to test the new director VERY SOON
                          • 10. Re: Director Beta Program?
                            psmackey
                            Dean, thanks for the link to Rick Jones, and the backstory on the Macrodobe melange. Director's a strong part of our curriculum and consistently attractive to student artists who feel limited by Processing and confused/frustrated by Flash. Sounds like we will be able finally to offer some tangible encouragement that there's a future in learning Director.

Peter Mackey,
                            Professor, Digital Arts, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn NY
                            pmackey at pratt dot edu
                            • 11. Re: Director Beta Program?
                              artwire
                              Wonderful news! We've been getting a lot of pressure to switch from Director to Flash -- people claiming Director is 'dead' - that Flash has the same functionality, etc., We keep saying "it's coming... it's coming....." but until the MAX coverage, we've had nothing tangible to point to. If at all possible, Adobe should post some sort of official announcement that this is in the works -- we shouldn't have to resort to blog posts and the like for documentation -- we need something tangible FROM ADOBE to cite to the 'powers that be' so that the Director producers among us are not shut down as we await some word of (they say it's vaporware) impending update... Are you listening, Adobe???

We appreciate the development push and look forward to the next release with great enthusiasm, but we need to plan ahead -- if this is kept quiet much longer, we wont be able to use the new product once it's finally released. We really could use some help from the marketing and evangelist group, while the engineers do their thing. . There's a lot of pent up enthusiasm for the product -- please don't squander it. Help us help you. Tell us what's going on and what we can expect -- OFFICIALLY -- so we can build it into our budgets, production plans, etc.

A native plug in for intel Macs would be a huge boost in the interim -- we could cite that as a first step toward the new release, and at least take "market share" out of the discussion...

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                Level 7
                                I agree totally with this. It has been too long between releases and the
                                next release is only one or two months away, so NOW is the time for
                                information and announcements from Adobe.

"artwire" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:fe6bug$b2q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Wonderful news! We've been getting a lot of pressure to switch from
                                > Director
                                > to Flash -- people claiming Director is 'dead' - that Flash has the same
                                > functionality, etc., We keep saying "it's coming... it's coming....." but
                                > until the MAX coverage, we've had nothing tangible to point to. If at
                                > all
                                > possible, Adobe should post some sort of official announcement that this
                                > is in
                                > the works -- we shouldn't have to resort to blog posts and the like for
                                > documentation -- we need something tangible FROM ADOBE to cite to the
                                > 'powers
                                > that be' so that the Director producers among us are not shut down as we
                                > await
                                > some word of (they say it's vaporware) impending update... Are you
                                > listening,
                                > Adobe???
                                >
                                > We appreciate the development push and look forward to the next release
                                > with
                                > great enthusiasm, but we need to plan ahead -- if this is kept quiet much
                                > longer, we wont be able to use the new product once it's finally released.
                                > We
                                > really could use some help from the marketing and evangelist group, while
                                > the
                                > engineers do their thing. . There's a lot of pent up enthusiasm for the
                                > product
                                > -- please don't squander it. Help us help you. Tell us what's going on
                                > and
                                > what we can expect -- OFFICIALLY -- so we can build it into our budgets,
                                > production plans, etc.
                                >
                                > A native plug in for intel Macs would be a huge boost in the interim --
                                > we
                                > could cite that as a first step toward the new release, and at least take
                                > "market share" out of the discussion...
                                >
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                  Level 7
                                  Doc Raman wrote:

> I'd also say Dean is without a doubt the best champion for Director right now.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!

Thanks Raman and Marty for the kind words. Besides Director being a such a
                                  fantastic product to use, there are great people in the community like you guys
                                  and it's my pleasure being part of this world.

regards
                                  Dean

• 14. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                    Level 7
                                    Director Guy wrote:

> .... GoLive got a bump to 9 this year, but I've heard nada about whether or not
                                    > Freehand still
                                    > will.
                                    >

Hi Mike,

Sorry to break some bad news to you, but Freehand will no longer be updated. See
                                    John Nack's blog from May this year on 'FreeHand no longer updated; moving to
                                    Illustrator'
                                    http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/05/freehand_no_lon.html

It's clear that Adobe would rather focus on Illustrator and Creative Suite. But
                                    even Macromedia neglected Freehand and with no updates since the MX release in

regards
                                    Dean

• 15. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                      Level 7
                                      TJD wrote:

> I agree totally with this. It has been too long between releases and the
                                      > next release is only one or two months away, so NOW is the time for
                                      > information and announcements from Adobe.

Adobe have been stepping up the Director marketing including having an e-seminar
                                      on the product a while back. I have heard there will be much more as Director 11
                                      draws near. So, stay tuned:)

regards
                                      Dean

• 16. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                        Level 7
                                        wgb14 wrote:

> ... director has given me to means to live (through
                                        > teaching) and to complete my prototypes (necessary for the acedemic work). I
                                        > know that my university has already planned an update to the new director
                                        > version (when it will come out) and I have several colleges from other
                                        > universities working with director (either for teaching or prototyping)...

I'd like to hear more about the teaching you're doing with Director. Please email
                                        me - d.utian@unsw.edu.au

regards
                                        Dean

• 17. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                          """.....Sorry to break some bad news to you"""

Hey, it only accelerates my need to learn Illustrator now. I had not heard they had reversed their original commitment to another Freehand release. But then again, they did the same thing with LiveMotion 2. C'est la vie.

I plan on getting back into podcasting in 2008. I still have a URL I had planned to use for covering the next version of Director, but I had thought it was releasing long ago due to past statements from MACR then ADBE.

I'll create a site and get it online after the release. it will be:

http://www.DirectorPodcast.com

I'd like to interview a bunch of long time users who are passionate about Director. But I won't even build out the site until I start using the beta, whether it is from Adobe or Labs.

I was on the Fireworks Beta. That was the one program I forced myself to learn as soon as I jumped to Dreamweaver, just for the workflow boost.

Anyway.... DirectorPodcast.com will launch and will be as much as a community resource as I can make it. Hopefully a positive impact :)

-Mike
                                          • 18. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                            Level 7
                                            Director Guy wrote:

> I plan on getting back into podcasting in 2008. I still have a URL I had
                                            > planned to use for covering the next version of Director, but I had thought it
                                            > was releasing long ago due to past statements from MACR then ADBE.
                                            >
                                            > I'll create a site and get it online after the release. it will be:
                                            > http://www.DirectorPodcast.com
                                            >

Hi Mike,

Do you know that there is a 'Director Podcast' at:
                                            http://www.magicgate.com/podcast/director/index.html

regards
                                            Dean

• 19. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                              Dean,

No. Didn't realize that someone had done one. Looks like he was pretty consistent until about 10 months ago... the episodes just stopped.

Anyway.. we all have different views, backgrounds and styles. The more Director support the better :)

-Mike
                                              • 20. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                Level 7
                                                Hi Mike,

Look at this podcast:)
                                                http://www.magicgate.com/podcast/director/shownotes/director_podcast_ep19_05_31_06.html

If you want to email me offlist - I'm at d.utian@unsw.edu.au

regards
                                                Dean

• 21. Director Beta Program?
                                                  J_O_R_I_S
                                                  Hi guys.

It's good to be back on the forum, celebrating this wonderful news with the community.

So, cheers to all of you and thanks Adobe for not dropping Director!

Dean, thanks for your efforts in keeping the community alive!

- -
                                                  Director user since version 3
                                                  • 22. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                    Aquilonian
                                                    Dont became too excited, just an update for macintel and vista will not be enough to make Director popular again, old school users claimming about how Director is great also will not, and you know, in the Max were just three new guys on Director seminar agains 100 in the (bleargh) papervision
                                                    The thing is, to attract new users Director must come with a lot of new game libraryes for games, NOT EXTRAS, i know you old school guys think that download an extra is not a problem, well, for the masses it is,the masses dont like to download extras and then the penetration of the plugin drops until 60% and you dont know why
                                                    So, it must came with classes to make the creation of 3d games easyer, and by games i mean things like this
                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfAO-hDYjA&NR=1
                                                    Things that use 100% or todays video cards with all the power to make games like that even if its just a one or two levels game, so Director can compete with papervision while it still can, (because if some day they give flash 3d acelleration, that will be the end) AND must came with better tutorials for JAVASCRIPT, not dam lingo, because JavaScript is based on the mister ecma and closer to java or actionScript, wich makes easyer to developers to flip to it

You know, sometimes i think on some crazy ideas.Like make a big 3d game and release for free over the net, just to help spread the Director penetration,
                                                    of make some video tutorials about JAvaScript and post on youtube,
                                                    maybe thats a job for a group of crazy entusiast?Dont know, time will tell

• 23. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                      Level 7
                                                      Aquilonian wrote:

> Dont became too excited, just an update for macintel and vista will not be
                                                      > enough to make Director popular again...

Yes, Director has a long way to go. However, an investment of time and resources to
                                                      the new version is a start.

> You know, sometimes i think on some crazy ideas.Like make a big 3d game and
                                                      > release for free over the net, just to help spread the Director penetration...

You know, there are games like this.
                                                      http://www.maidmarian.com/

Read about it at:
                                                      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/showcase/index.cfm?event=casestudydetail&casestudyid=336582

4,000 simultaneous users and 1.3 million unique monthly visitors

> make some video tutorials about JAvaScript and post on youtube,
                                                      > maybe thats a job for a group of crazy entusiast?Dont know, time will tell

Maybe...

regards
                                                      Dean

• 24. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                        Aquilonian Level 1
                                                        >4,000 simultaneous users and 1.3 million unique monthly visitors
                                                        Yeah but clients to care about this, i mean, in the market of making custom games for others what they care a lot is the penetration of the plugin, thats kind of silly because i bet that the ones that dont have the shockwave plugim are the same ones that dont care about games, but anyway, its great that there are things like sherwood and haboo, things that big cant turn back, and if Adobe stops updating Director and shockwave millions of users(not only developers) will see Adobe as a disgusting unprofessional company
                                                        • 25. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                          Martin Schaefer Level 1
                                                          You guys are way to much focussed on "Shockwave Online Output" of Director.
                                                          Remember that not everything on this planet _must_ be an online (browser)application.
                                                          I'm sure there's still much more work being done for Offline (non-browser) applications like CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs, kiosks, than online browser games.

Cheers,
                                                          Martin
                                                          • 26. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                            Selfishly... I care very little about using Director for deploying anything to the web via shockwave. Almost everything I've done with Director is CD/DVD-Rom or desktop delivery.

I would like to see Director play nicely and natively with capabilities of Adobe's Media Player.

Just the new OS support is enough for me to be excited though.

Mike
                                                            • 27. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                              Level 7
                                                              I also use Director only for CD/DVD development, although I like having the
                                                              option of Shockwave for the possible future development. I often thought
                                                              that if Adobe could integrate Director with their Encore DVD-maker program
                                                              they would have a killer-combo.

"Director Guy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                              news:feb1u2$bq4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                              > Selfishly... I care very little about using Director for deploying
                                                              > anything to
                                                              > the web via shockwave. Almost everything I've done with Director is
                                                              > CD/DVD-Rom
                                                              > or desktop delivery.
                                                              >
                                                              > I would like to see Director play nicely and natively with capabilities of
                                                              > Adobe's Media Player.
                                                              >
                                                              > Just the new OS support is enough for me to be excited though.
                                                              >
                                                              > Mike
                                                              >

• 28. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                wgb14 Level 1
                                                                <<Selfishly... I care very little about using Director for deploying anything to the web via shockwave. Almost everything I've done with Director is CD/DVD-Rom or desktop delivery.>>

I defintely agree with that... I have never used the shockwave function of director... All of my work is focused on CD/DVD-rom delivery or desktop delivery. However, I would like to see more web-based functions (like application update from the web) that would enable us to develop more web-oriented applications... but director should remain focused on the CD/DVD market. Especially now with the advent of the Blue Ray and HD-DVD the need for such tools is eminent. By the way, do you know if there are any plans for HD-video integration in Director?
                                                                • 29. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                  thismarty Level 1
                                                                  Good points all, but for casual games (a centerpiece of Director's stated repositioning by Adob e with r11), a solid, pervasive web plugin is indispensible.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                    MikeTheVike1
                                                                    Good to hear some good news. I didn't even start using Director until late 2006, and it was frustrating trying to learn it when most resources had died out. I don't use 3D or shockwave functionality, so I'm hoping for other features!
                                                                    • 31. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                      quote:

... but director should remain focused on the CD/DVD market. Especially now with the advent of the Blue Ray and HD-DVD the need for such tools is eminent. By the way, do you know if there are any plans for HD-video integration in Director?

That was a hope I once had. When Adobe announced the buyout, I had hoped they would integrate what other DVD authors were doing seperately.... using Director to get the PC/Mac crossplatform DVD-Rom content to work. Apple's DVD Studio Pro has a function that works well on the Mac, but a hack was and still is needed to make it work well on a PC.

eDVD4 ( http://www.sonic.com/about/press/news/2005/04/edvd4.aspx) solved a lot of those problems for me as well as Director MX 2004.

I incorrectly assumed that given Adobe Encore DVD fell short in this area, that Adobe would jump on Director quickly to get the integration there. I only assumed this because Adobe was spending so much time getting their apps to work together for the Production bundle. With DVD Authoring a major part of any video production pipeline, I expected that to be addressed. It never was. Oh well.

I wouldn't expect that any progress was made in that arena given how neglected Director has been the last few years. And even though any Blu-Ray support is probably unlikely... I'd really like to see support for the AMP they have in beta now. That would really make me a happy camper.

Mike
                                                                      • 32. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                        VizFX76 Level 1
                                                                        Hi to all.
                                                                        There is a long time since I`ve posted, but now everything is boiling around because of the news about Di 11.
                                                                        What can I say…. great news even they are scarce.
                                                                        We want a lot of new things since the latest version is quit old. The trough is Director must become a better tool not only for offline (CD, DVD, etc.) but for online too, because this is the demand of the market.
                                                                        So…. yes, shockwave and the 3D engine are becoming the most important parts of the Director. Is simple to see this fact: 58,5 % of the internet viewers have shockwave player installed. Main reason for that is the online gaming community and social networking which is expanding furiously (shockwave3d.com, shockwave.com, maidmarian.com and so on). From this point of view Shockwave is still the leader even that Director is pretty old for the actual standards and the competitors are a bit far, but they aren`t loosing any time.
                                                                        The truth is Director is loosing ground because the community doesn`t have enough updated news. How is that? If you take a look at an updated list with competitors for Director you`ll be surprised, you can find even some Open Source projects. Even some very important people from Director community moved like Tom Higgins.
                                                                        The pressure is very big upon us to choose the right tool for the best results.
                                                                        So….. wake up Adobe until is too late.
                                                                        Best regards.
                                                                        Mihai
                                                                        • 33. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                          Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                                                                          Hello to all,

Thank the atoms that Adobe are not dropping Director, Like many, I use it for touch screen kiosk development, and CD-Rom authoring. I don't use the 3D elements or shockwave.
                                                                          I am very excited about a new version, although I do wish someone from Adobe would just tell us all what's going on- We all have large amounts of time, effort and money invested in Director and I would hate to see it wasted.
                                                                          What do I want from a new version?
                                                                          1. Stability, I find MX2004 crashes frequently when dealing with large projects- This seriously adds to the development time and is V. frustrating if the project hasn't been saved recently ( ie. after doing anything )
                                                                          2. Text handling- I try not to use the built in text if possible. again this adds to dev. time
                                                                          3. Font handling- when doing cross platform projects this is a nightmare- missing fonts- different sizes- can't embed some font types etc.
                                                                          4. Multiple Undo/ History - this would be great- how hard can it be?
                                                                          5. Improved Vector drawing tools. get the illustrator team on the job Adobe- I want Director CS3 please or at least much tighter integration.
                                                                          6. PDF integration. or should I say Adobe PDF integration. this is your technology Adobe!!
                                                                          7. Marker or Page preview thumbnails, with link info ( similar to some DVD authoring apps. have) would be useful.

I could go on, but these would be top of my wish list.
                                                                          Overall I enjoy using Director and have become used to the little foibles and annoyances, and I really struggle to see what else we could use to do this work? anyone?
                                                                          Anyway! I wait with little expectation and thoroughly worn out patience for Adobe to do or say something.. anything..please!
                                                                          Kindest regards
                                                                          Bob
                                                                          • 34. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                            BSpero Level 1
                                                                            Hey all,
                                                                            As a Director user who has moved to Flash, I honestly trust very little about what Adobe is saying until I actually see something. The delivery timeline has moved from 1st half of this year, to 2nd half of this year, to now only being announced 2nd of this year, which no doubt means 2008 before we see something. I use Director for some 3d projects, but very little shockwave. What I need is the interaction with outside resources. Working with kiosks, stand alone applications, etc requires the ability to access computer COM ports, write data to files, etc. In Flash, you have to incorporate other web technologies if you just want to write some text to a file, or access a database. In Director, it is as simple as including an Xtra. I can author an application that has control over the system with BuddyAPI and can also read external data from an accelerometer, while recording the data in a text file. To do all this in Flash would take 4 work arounds. I love Flash and the smooth animations, better video, and movie clips that allow me to consolidate layers (who else hates that you have to create 95 layers when you want to move a few objects aroudn the screen in Director.) At any rate, despite how difficult it is to do some of this stuff in Flash, a lot of people have moved because it seemed we had no choice. No product announcements, timelines, capabilities, etc. from Adobe in YEARS. I am excited to see if there is a new version of Director, but can't help wonder if Adobe hasn't cared at all about it the past few years, why would they now. The developers couldn't even show an interface at MAX? SO, until I see something, it is all just rumors.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              BSpero wrote:

> No product announcements, timelines, capabilities,
                                                                              > etc. from Adobe in YEARS. I am excited to see if there is a new version of
                                                                              > Director, but can't help wonder if Adobe hasn't cared at all about it the past
                                                                              > few years, why would they now...

Hi BSpero,

I understand your frustration with Director's development and your hesitation in
                                                                              putting faith into Adobe. However, I'll just correct some of your facts. Adobe
                                                                              bought Macromedia in 2005 - announced this in April 2005. All regulatory clearance
                                                                              happened over the next few months and it was only in December 2005 that the
                                                                              takeover was finalised. So, was only 2006 that Adobe could start making decisions
                                                                              and putting work into the product development.

In 2006, we got a FAQ from Adobe saying that we'd have Director 11 in the first
                                                                              half of this year. So, seems their thinking was that within a year and a half, they
                                                                              could release an upgrade of Director. With my close connection to Adobe during this
                                                                              period, I have found out that Director was in maintenance mode during the last few
                                                                              years of Macromedia. So, was Macromedia that hadn't cared about it the past few
                                                                              years. Adobe inherited Director in a state of
                                                                              - practically no development since version 10 (MX 2004)
                                                                              - no work on new Operating Systems (Vista or MacIntel)
                                                                              - old code base
                                                                              - many legacy issues/bugs unresolved

So, Adobe have had a huge job to bring Director into line. And they did
                                                                              underestimate the amount of time it would take. Hence, the shifting back of the
                                                                              release date. As Adobe Director representatives stated at Max, they still intend to
                                                                              complete the D11 development by the end of this year. However, Director 11 will be
                                                                              primarily a stepping stone to future upgrades. We are told that Director 12 and 13
                                                                              will see some focus on other areas neglected by Maciomedia, namely 3D and the sound
                                                                              features.

I understand you need more than words to be won over. However, the problems we're
                                                                              facing at this point are very much due to neglect by Macromedia not Adobe.

regards
                                                                              Dean

• 36. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                                BSpero Level 1
                                                                                Dean,
                                                                                I am glad that you have a "close connection" to Adobe, but short of showing up to a conference in Chicago, users of the product have gotten no new information about this. The Director product page still has a Breeze presentation about "What's new in Director MX 2004" and the technote on Emerging Issues was last updated in May 2005, which is almost 2 1/2 years ago. Really, I am not concerned with regulatory timelines, and whether it is Macromedia's fault or Adobe's slow pace. Xtra development has slowed dramatically, Intel Macs have been out for almost 2 years, and when you stop talking about a product, people walk away. Just engaging the Director community a bit would go a long way to reassuring them that there will support for them in the future. All of us aren't out scouring the web for nuggets of information about what might happen to the product.

I will use the next version when it comes out I am sure, and was won over years ago when I started using Director. But really, aside from changing the date on the FAQ and ONE session at MAX, there has been no communication about the new version, and I don't see any excuse to ignore the users that way that Adobe has the last year and a half since it was able to make decisions and work on produce development.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                                  thismarty Level 1
                                                                                  Getting back to the subject of this thread for a moment ...

Who do you have to know to get on the Director 11 beta anyway?

I've emailed and emailed and haven't even had the courtesy of a polite "Sorry, but no thanks, little man."

What's up with that? It's one thing for Adobe and the Director team to not want to spend precious time and resources telling us about a product that will be out soon enough, but to diss us for wanting to help them shape/test/perfect it on our own time? That's just plain rude.

The ghost of Tom Higgins must be turning over in his grave right now.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                                    No more beta testers.

I had read on some thread somewhere that an attendee at Max was told that all you had to do was ask to be on the beta. I did so to all the key players at Adobe on the Director team (USA and abroad). I was told it is too late in the cycle to add me.

A bit of a mixed message conveyed at Max. Someone was not on the same page with someone.

Anyway... I would hope it at least appears in Adobe Labs.

-MJ
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Director Beta Program?
                                                                                      BSpero Level 1
                                                                                      Yeah,
                                                                                      I emailed where I could think to email, but received nothing in response. I'm not too surprised.

- B
                                                                                      1 2 3 Previous Next