4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 1:13 PM by Herugrim123

Moving text with 'write on' mask

Herugrim123 Level 1

i created a comp with 4 pieces of text using the 'write on ' effect which reveals the text like natural handwriting. Now, I would like to move the text to different positions. However, the text moves normally but the mask stays where it is ruining the effect. Is there a way to move both together ?

You can see the file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0offl6zvv3dumr/Copy%20of%20wedding%20album%20animation.aep

Regards,

TL.

• 1. Re: Moving text with 'write on' mask
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Parent the mask layer to the text layer.

Edit: So I downloaded your project and realized that you put the write on effect directly on the text layer. I thought you applied write on to a solid and used that as a mask. Since Write On uses comp position and not layer position for the brush position you can either write an expression to tie the brush position to the text position or you can simply pre-compose.

BTW, I didn't see any movement in the text layer. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving text with 'write on' mask
            Herugrim123 Level 1

Hi Rick,

I hadn't thought of putting the mask on a separate layer - it's not the way I was shown how to do it but I will definitely do that the next time. Much more flexibility.

I don't know how to write expressions. I know roughly what they are..like a more flexible, adaptable version of 'eases', but not how to create them.

When you say that you didn't see any movement on the text layer, I take that to mean that you were looking for some animation. I wasn't trying to animate - simply realign the text to be concentric with the main aspect and images ( which I should have done before I started ! ).

Incidentally, I just tried copying the layer and deleting the mask from one layer ( leaving only the text ) and deleting the text from the other layer ( leaving only the mask ) and then parenting them. It doesn't work ! the handwriting animation doesn't work anymore.

I guess I'll have to start again and make sure I get the text in the right position before I start !

• 3. Re: Moving text with 'write on' mask
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An expression for this would be complicated because it would involve values at time as well as calculating the offsets. Come to think of it, an expression may not work at all because of the way write on generates the stroke.

Pre-composing or applying wirte-on to a separate layer then parenting would be easiest. I usually use stroke instead of write on because that works on a mask path and moves with the layer. It's an easier solution for me. I've never liked write on because of the way it handles brush position when applied to a text layer.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Moving text with 'write on' mask
                Herugrim123 Level 1

Funnily enough, as you were writing this post, I was following a tut on stroke whereby I can see it's a much better option. More control, easier to keyframe etc, etc. I'll be uding this in future.

Thanks for the advice,

Regards,

TL.