3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 6:20 PM by Kranex1

Recommended Scratch Hard Drive (iMac user) - Suggestions Welcome!

DMH79 Level 2

HI!

HDD, SSD, Thuderbolt, USB 3.0 7200rpm, 5400rpm, portable...etc, etc. etc. So many options. Here's what I do and what I'm looking for:

• I run Premiere Pro CC off of my 2011 iMac (has firewire 800 and 2 thunderbolt ports). Eventually I'll upgrade to the 2012 iMac that has USB 3.0 ports (if that even matters for this). I need a scratch disk thats fast and reliable. My 2 year old scratch disk (Seagate GoFlex w/ Thunderbolt Adapter) just crashed so I'm looking to upgrade.
      • It doesn't need to be portable. That would just be a bonus, but I'd rather have speed/reliability first.
      • My projects usually consist of about 300-400gb each. So ideally 500+ GB.
      • I'd like to not spend over $500, but I'm fairly flexible. Fairly. I know that price may rule out any current SSD or RAID options...so if you believe that I'm making a mistake here, convince me otherwise (within reason please...no "this $1500 drive is the best!")

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Recommended Scratch Hard Drive (iMac user) - Suggestions Welcome!
          Kranex1 Level 1

Yes, any 7200 RPM HDD will do fine for DVD. If you're going to HD you may get better perfomance from a RAID 0 array. Only your AE hashcash need be an SSD.

Still, if the cost is no issue go ahead and purchase the SSD, although you will need one 30-50% the capacity of your projects for maximum perfomarnce. That is a 1 TB SSD so expect to pay $850! A 512GB drive at half that price will still work just as well, buy due to lack of overprovisioning may not last as long.

• 2. Re: Recommended Scratch Hard Drive (iMac user) - Suggestions Welcome!
            DMH79 Level 2

Kranex1 wrote:

Yes, any 7200 RPM HDD will do fine for DVD. If you're going to HD you may get better perfomance from a RAID 0 array. Only your AE hashcash need be an SSD.

Still, if the cost is no issue go ahead and purchase the SSD, although you will need one 30-50% the capacity of your projects for maximum perfomarnce. That is a 1 TB SSD so expect to pay $850! A 512GB drive at half that price will still work just as well, buy due to lack of overprovisioning may not last as long.

So let's just say my max budget was $1000, what would you suggest. I edit only HD right now and again, each project is about 300-400GB in files. Also, regarding, overprovisioning...aren't SSD supposed to be more reliable and last longer than HDD's? (assuming they are being used for the same thing)

You mention RAID0. Now I've never set up a RAID before and I quickly read that RAID0 is better for performance but RAID1 is better for reliability...and then there are other RAID options. So given a budget of say $1000, which setup would you recommend?

• 3. Re: Recommended Scratch Hard Drive (iMac user) - Suggestions Welcome!
              Kranex1 Level 1

So let's just say my max budget was $1000, what would you suggest. I edit only HD right now and again, each project is about 300-400GB in files. Also, regarding, overprovisioning...aren't SSD supposed to be more reliable and last longer than HDD's? (assuming they are being used for the same thing)

You mention RAID0. Now I've never set up a RAID before and I quickly read that RAID0 is better for performance but RAID1 is better for reliability...and then there are other RAID options. So given a budget of say $1000, which setup would you recommend?

Well it looks like you are in the same boat I was in and I just purchased the Samsung 512 GB 840 Proto fix it.

SSD are suppose to last just as long as an HDD, but for optimal perfomance and logevity it is best to leave a portion of the drive unallocated. The current debate is how much unused space that should be. I've heard anywhere from 20-50%. But at the maximum amount the drive would effectively cost twice as much.

The decision of how much you care to spare is up to you. As for RAID, RAID 5 (maximum speed and redundancy) is usually the best compromise budget and safety wise.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-7PD512BW-Series-SATAIII-Solid/dp/B009LI7CYE/ref=sr_1_3?ie =UTF8&qid=1374110207&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+512+840+pro